2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Which would you buy? 523i or 335i

03-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
nycrgc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

Question Which would you buy? 523i or 335i

Hi there, newbie to the forum and prospective buyer. Apologies if this is not the right forum but I really want to gather the experience of forum members. I'd like to know which car you would choose if you had the choice: a lower-end 2011 5-series sedan (523/528) or a 2011 335i sedan?

Also, which options would you consider essential in the 5-series (and the 3 for that matter)? I'm interested in maintaining resale value as well because I might choose to sell instead of shipping overseas when I move back to the US in 2-3 years.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

there are lots of threads on here that will help you on spec/options.....main ones for the 5-series for most people are media package, xenons and sports auto transmission. other popular are thing like wheel choice, stereo upgrades, seat upgrades

for me this question is simpler that this......i wouldn't even consider a 335i (i've just sold my E92 330i to buy the F11) for the simple reason that the current 3-series platform is about to be replaced by BMW with a whole new model. Anyone buying a 3-series now is going to get slammed on resale as by the time you come to sell it will be yesterdays news, old technology and look inferior in almost every way to the new model...and by the time your looking to sell there will already be approved used versions of the new model on the market.

the 5-series has only just been released and is only just starting out on its 6-7 year BMW product lifecycle. so for me the choice is clear. 5-series (unless your being offered a MASSIVE discount on the 335i...which I doubt you are).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
nycrgc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

I was thinking about the product cycle issue as I was viewing the "spy videos" of the 2012 3-series prototype driving around Stuttgart. That's a huge issue for resale and I thank you for the reply.
Appreciate 0