BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
BikerPilot
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: From M6 to ActiveHybrid 3

Smile Your thoughts regarding 2009 M6: purchase advice.

Hi all,

Like so many others, I have been browsing the board because I'm looking to purchase an M6. I would truly appreciate your input on my following thoughts.

I'm looking for a 2009 M6 convertible in Silver or Gray. A 2009 because there is some factory warrantee left, has the newer iDrive and is more affordable than a 2010.

Here is my story and experience:
I looked at 2 different CPO'd 2009's. Both, ofcourse, at official BMW dealers. Both showed a fairly long Carfax history of service performed outside of the normal service internals. When I checked more thoroughly (simply calling the dealers that performed the service), I found out that one had almost constant electrical problems and the other had a tire replaced, followed by quite a bit of problems associated by that tire replacement (wheel alignments, another tire, etc). So much for CPO's.

The vehicle I'm looking at now is a 2009 with 17000 miles. Available at another luxury brand dealer, so not CPO'd. I did test drive this vehicle and found the following:
- Regular 15K service was performed. At 5K the suspension was checked. Nothing else out of the ordinary logged in CarFax.
- Did not feel much difference between P400, P500 and P500sport modes. Also was disappointed in the accelerating in general. Could this be because I didn't want to rev the engine over 4500rpm when cold?
- The SMG was clunky, both in manual and automatic mode. Hesitation and when it shifts, it was like being rear ended. No abnormal noises coming from either engine or transmission. So if I'm going forward with this vehicle, I will do another test drive and reset the SMG to see if that solves it. If it does not, I'll stay away from it.
- Tires still had some thread left on them, they also appear to be the original tires. An indication the car was not driven hard.
- Average MPG was indicating 14mpg, I know this can be reset, but during my test drive, the number did not change a bit, an indication that it was not reset recently and that the car has not been driven very hard (nobody knows what happened before a reset).
- Oil level was showing +1, which surprised me a little bit. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that. I test drove for 20 miles and found this +1 when playing with the board computer at around 7 miles.
- Car is reasonably priced, around $70K.
What are your thoughts on what I found above?

Also, some generic questions:
- This board has scared the living crap out of me and actually makes me more hesitant to purchase an M6. I only see posts with 'mine is in the garage once every two months', 'expect high maintenance cost', 'transmission problems', etc, etc. Almost to a point that I'm thinking that people have more problems than fun with this car. Am I overly pessimistic here? I'm a person who prefers to keep a car stock, will not abuse the vehicle, but will drive daily for about 30 miles.
- What maintenance can I expect, now that the car has 17K miles on it? Typically this is nothing for a vehicle. It should barely be broken in!
- This one is missing an option I would really like: HD radio. Can it be retrofitted? It has Sat Radio.

Thanks!
Alexander
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
isdith08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15-f02/07 e63-m6/08 e60-535i

Over all it's a great car. Mine is a 07 cab
I use fill up 3 times a week and only live a few miles from my office.
I got about 9-10 mpg My hummer and range rover sport did much better.I know have an LCI e92 as a work car for appointments .
I have the SMG and It keeps coding ( big red sprocket comes up and the i drive indicates transmission error.. it just needs to be cleared / ) Be prepared to carry a case of oil ( only available at bmw for 11- 15 dollars a quart ) you will need to add a quart every 1-1,500 miles - remember this is a street legal race car )
I never run the 500 since the 400 is enough and i agree not a huge diff and not worth the extra gas .... and the steering wheel .. the plastic coating keeps peeling around the controls ..... other than that the car is a champ... go for it just realize these few issues i have experienced.
never be scared always be informed...

remember M is the most powerful letter in the alphabet... we dont need 3 like AMG!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
BikerPilot
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: From M6 to ActiveHybrid 3

No oil consumption

Mine is an '09 with 18K miles now. Have not had to add any oil in the 2K I drove her. I drive 400 when I'm commuting and M only when I really want to (few times a week). let's not talk gas mileage. I average about 12mpg. Just high way driving is fine: 23mpg, but as soon as you hit the city its like pooring gas straight down the drain. Oh well...

Had a SMG repair already: broken clutch position sensor. Replaced under warrantee.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjanPlomp View Post
Hi all,

Like so many others, I have been browsing the board because I'm looking to purchase an M6. I would truly appreciate your input on my following thoughts.

I'm looking for a 2009 M6 convertible in Silver or Gray. A 2009 because there is some factory warrantee left, has the newer iDrive and is more affordable than a 2010.

Here is my story and experience:
I looked at 2 different CPO'd 2009's. Both, ofcourse, at official BMW dealers. Both showed a fairly long Carfax history of service performed outside of the normal service internals. When I checked more thoroughly (simply calling the dealers that performed the service), I found out that one had almost constant electrical problems and the other had a tire replaced, followed by quite a bit of problems associated by that tire replacement (wheel alignments, another tire, etc). So much for CPO's.

The vehicle I'm looking at now is a 2009 with 17000 miles. Available at another luxury brand dealer, so not CPO'd. I did test drive this vehicle and found the following:
- Regular 15K service was performed. At 5K the suspension was checked. Nothing else out of the ordinary logged in CarFax.
- Did not feel much difference between P400, P500 and P500sport modes. Also was disappointed in the accelerating in general. Could this be because I didn't want to rev the engine over 4500rpm when cold?
- The SMG was clunky, both in manual and automatic mode. Hesitation and when it shifts, it was like being rear ended. No abnormal noises coming from either engine or transmission. So if I'm going forward with this vehicle, I will do another test drive and reset the SMG to see if that solves it. If it does not, I'll stay away from it.
- Tires still had some thread left on them, they also appear to be the original tires. An indication the car was not driven hard.
- Average MPG was indicating 14mpg, I know this can be reset, but during my test drive, the number did not change a bit, an indication that it was not reset recently and that the car has not been driven very hard (nobody knows what happened before a reset).
- Oil level was showing +1, which surprised me a little bit. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that. I test drove for 20 miles and found this +1 when playing with the board computer at around 7 miles.
- Car is reasonably priced, around $70K.
What are your thoughts on what I found above?

Also, some generic questions:
- This board has scared the living crap out of me and actually makes me more hesitant to purchase an M6. I only see posts with 'mine is in the garage once every two months', 'expect high maintenance cost', 'transmission problems', etc, etc. Almost to a point that I'm thinking that people have more problems than fun with this car. Am I overly pessimistic here? I'm a person who prefers to keep a car stock, will not abuse the vehicle, but will drive daily for about 30 miles.
- What maintenance can I expect, now that the car has 17K miles on it? Typically this is nothing for a vehicle. It should barely be broken in!
- This one is missing an option I would really like: HD radio. Can it be retrofitted? It has Sat Radio.

Thanks!
Alexander
Hi,

I'll tell you that the M6 is the most amazing vehicle you can ever hope to own. Its BMW and Ms best car they've ever developed to date, and one of the finest ever developed in the world. If you are lucky enough to own it for any amount of time, Im sure you'll agree.

I've had mine since new for over 2 1/2 years now and think I know it pretty well inside and out, so I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

I would say first, certainly buy the latest model you can find in your price range and ensure you have warranty coverage during the life of ownership.

Its not something to be alarmed about, my car has been amazingly reliable over the 16K+ miles driven thus far, but since all new BMWs are basically mobile computers, you have to expect the electronics to act up after time, and being we're talking about a racing bred V10 with a complex transmission, you are just better off having the insurance that if anything were to happen, you'll be protected as best as you can. I would recommend a CPOd car, but those described above dont seem to be a good option. If the oil level says +1, it means the car should have oil added so that the reserve can be refilled, it doesnt need to be filled immediately, but would expect a dealership to have handled that in the CPO process.

Regarding the car you are looking at that isnt CPOd, Id first say if you are considering it you must get a warranty from somewhere or continue looking for a CPO and expand your search. I live in NY but went down to Pittsburgh to trade my former 645ci to get my M6 in the exact color combo and options desired, this car is not a volume car at all, so widening your search area should give you better options.

Your questions on drivelogic programs makes me question the car further. There is no comparison between P400 and P500S, if you dont notice an unbelievable difference, then something is definitely wrong. P400 is sluggish and Id never suggest anyone to use it, it does not save fuel in any way, and only chokes the engine of air to reduce power, you just dont buy a V10 and drive it in reduced power mode.

In P500S mode, the car should jump immediately when you hit the gas, and I mean immediately. After 4000 RPMs, the S85 begins to scream, and as you get above 5500 toward 8000+, forget about it, there is almost nothing that can keep up, and you should have noticed a difference in your test drive. Id also say that after a few minutes and miles in the summer, the car is warm and the oil is warm, you have to take it up higher to get the real feel of what the M6 is about, if you drive it in the 2000-3500 range, you'll never even realize you're driving a V10, and the car will feel slow when starting to move.

SMG should not bang like being rear ended, but if you drive it an S5 or S6, it will be harsh at times, but in a good way...and if you drive it for a while, you'll be able to learn how to shift it as smooth as any traditional manual gearbox, it just takes a little practice.

Unless the weather is snow, I only drive in M mode, P500S, S5, MDM - which is the m dynamic mode for letting SMG let you play alot more without completely disengaging, and EDC at normal - thats the suspension setting btw.

In terms of mpg, well all I can say is that you're looking at a street legal race car with a high revving V10 at its heart, you cant even consider mpg if you are seriously contemplating owning this car, it will spoil your enjoyment if you have to look at it that way. This engine needs to be high in the range to be trully appreciated and enjoyed, and that will lead to poor mileage. However, it does get decent mileage if you are driving in 7th on the highway for your commute to work, but, as soon as you're local, expect single digits.

I've averaged 9 to 11 overall in local with very light highway driving that I usually do. On the highway for a nice trip over several hours, you can get close to 20mpg in 7th at say 70mph which is adequate, though the relatively small tank is its only draw back to having to fill up more often than you may want to.

Sat radio is great along with the premium sound system, but not sure if HD radio can be added or not...

Regardless of anything else you may have read, I say if you find the right car, it will be the best purchase of your life, so take a little time and get the right car, the only negative is that you'll not be able to drive anything less!

good luck

Last edited by m630; 08-24-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0