2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Post winter salt deposits

04-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Salter
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Post winter salt deposits

Hey folks, after a snowy winter in my F10/535ix Msport, I have, what looks like white salt deposits on the carpet - surrounding the rubber floor mats. They don't brush off easily, and warm water didn't do the trick. Any ideas how to remove them? I'd like to avoid strong smelling substances. I like that new car smell to linger just a bit longer.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts

S.Alter
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Are you talking about the OEM mats with carpet that came with the car or the all weather all rubber mats?
      04-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salter View Post
Hey folks, after a snowy winter in my F10/535ix Msport, I have, what looks like white salt deposits on the carpet - surrounding the rubber floor mats. They don't brush off easily, and warm water didn't do the trick. Any ideas how to remove them? I'd like to avoid strong smelling substances. I like that new car smell to linger just a bit longer.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts

S.Alter
Salter:

I used a bit of white vinegar in water (50/50), soaked a rag in it (not dripping wet) and laid it over the salt stains to soften them up. I was able to rub the stains out with the rag after I left them on the stains for about an hour. Once I got the stains out, I simply used a bit of Zero fabric cleaner to tidy up (it removed the lingering smell of the vinegar). I then dried and vacumed.

Looks great!

Bill

Last edited by Sharbotcom; 04-05-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
Salter:

I used a bit of white vinegar in water (50/50), soaked a rag in it (not dripping wet) and laid it over the salt stains to soften them up. I was able to rub the stains out with the rag after I left them on the stains for about an hour. Once I got the stains out, I simply used a bit of Zero fabric cleaner to tidy up (it removed the lingering smell of the vinegar). I then dried and vacumed.

Looks great!

Bill
Perfect. Thanks Bill!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Are you talking about the OEM mats with carpet that came with the car or the all weather all rubber mats?
Thanks gatoman. What I meant is the floor "carpet" underneath the rubber mats.
Appreciate 0