E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OEM Intake Cover Mod Idea

04-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, GT350, Tesla M3P

OEM Intake Cover Mod Idea

Reading the DIY of Mr.5's intake mod I had an idea. Realistically, intakes dont do much for our cars unless your tuned. Most people just add them for sound. Now, bare with me, did anyone ever think of just cutting the top cover to expose the filter? This would remove the sound restriction. But at the same time would suck in hot air at a stand still (which all the aftermarket intakes do anyway).

What I was thinking is cutting 2 clean squares to the left and right of the BMW lettering and then putting rubber trim to make it look cleaner. Throw in a K&N or other colored aftermarket filter and it might look semi-good. The nice thing is you can have a cut and uncut cover, so when you go in for service, just pop on the uncut cover. Thoughts? Or has someone done this already?

If this is a dumb idea, please be gentle

Last edited by PiZauL; 04-05-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Zasquatch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZauL View Post
Reading the DIY of Mr.5's intake mod I had an idea. Realistically, intakes dont do much for our cars unless your tuned. Most people just add them for sound. Now, bare with me, did anyone ever think of just cutting the top cover to expose the filter? This would remove the sound restriction. But at the same time would suck in hot air at a stand still (which all the aftermarket intakes do anyway).

What I was thinking is cutting 2 clean squares to the left and right of the BMW lettering and then putting rubber trim to make it look cleaner. Throw in a K&N or other colored aftermarket filter and it might look semi-good. The nice thing is you can have a cut and uncut cover, so when you go in for service, just pop on the uncut cover. Thoughts? Or has someone done this already?

Don't do this. You will be adding unfiltered air into the system.

The air moves from the bottom left side of the box, up through the filter, flows to the right, then down the right side to the turbo intake piping.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

That's ghetto.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaaa View Post

The air moves from the bottom left side of the box, up through the filter, flows to the right, then down the right side to the turbo intake piping.
Ah alright, gotcha. I thought for a second that the duct directs air through the top. Well then, DCI purchase it shall be!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaaa View Post

very true!!

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Now, I am not suggesting that you do this, but it is somewhat popular in the VW/AUDI world to "swiss-cheese" your airbox. Basically, you drill a lot of 1" diameter holes in the bottom of the dirty portion of the OEM intake. This way you get more air flow (granted hotter air) and you get the sound effect. It also looks as if you have stock airbox because the holes are on the bottom of the intake.

Like I said, I am not suggesting that you do this... Just an idea...
      04-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Now, I am not suggesting that you do this, but it is somewhat popular in the VW/AUDI world to "swiss-cheese" your airbox. Basically, you drill a lot of 1" diameter holes in the bottom of the dirty portion of the OEM intake. This way you get more air flow (granted hotter air) and you get the sound effect. It also looks as if you have stock airbox because the holes are on the bottom of the intake.

Lol, did that to my TT, loved it

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post

That still wont solve the restriction problem.......

The air enters via the bottom of the filter and then has to do a 180 turn downwards to get to the inlet pipes for each turbo.

That is an extreme change of direction in a very tight space and probably where most of the restriction to airflow stems from.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
bahn stormer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB

1. You could cut a hole in the lid and secure a smaller panel filter in this area.

2. You could cut/dremmel all of the vanes on the under side of the lid for better flow.

I am still working on my "Mr. 5 intake"(tm) so I have an extra lid and may try one of these.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn stormer View Post
1. You could cut a hole in the lid and secure a smaller panel filter in this area.

2. You could cut/dremmel all of the vanes on the under side of the lid for better flow.

I am still working on my "Mr. 5 intake"(tm) so I have an extra lid and may try one of these.
Keep us posted if you try! I may try messing around unless I just say eff it and get the AFE DCI's.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZauL View Post

For some reason this community is hyped up on the dual cone intake.. Not ALL intakes for our car suck in hot air Be creative and try some things!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
WilliamE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 EB F30 335 MT

Anyone know if BMW changes the air filter every time you take it in for the oil change?
Appreciate 0