E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Newbie N55 Tuning Questions

04-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW

Newbie N55 Tuning Questions

These are completely newb questions, so please educate me.
What is this JB3, JB+ stuff?
What does it do and how does it actually push out more power?
Is it safe to use over time?
Is it easy to install oneself and take off if you have to see the dealer service so as not to let them void your warranty?
Where exactly is it installed?
What kind of mpg efficiency do you lose with the extra power?

What kind of extra power will either give you if everything else is stock?
Do you need to have other mods like downpipe, exhaust, intake if you have JB3/JB+?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Search. Most of your questions have been answered, and choosing mods for your car will require a lot of research - then after research, post your questions. This forum is full of incredibly valuable information, you can't just use the shotgun approach. Good luck and congrats on the new 335 - you'll love it!
      04-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep

You probably could have answered all my questions already instead of telling me to search.

I've already searched and read posts, so if you don't want to help then piss off.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
You probably could have answered all my questions already instead of telling me to search.

I've already searched and read posts, so if you don't want to help then piss off.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:

wild squid is wild.
      04-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
Search. Most of your questions have been answered, and choosing mods for your car will require a lot of research - then after research, post your questions. This forum is full of incredibly valuable information, you can't just use the shotgun approach. Good luck and congrats on the new 335 - you'll love it!

This nonsense needs to stop. And it's not just you madman. I wholeheartedly agree that your post is appropriate, kind, and not condescending. But you just didn't help the guy.

He has a question, the tuning threads are well... made by tuners. Normal everyday people cannot understand them.

You don't know what this other person's IQ is, nor their understanding of automotive technology.

Searching is just as good as going to Barnes & Noble and reading a book on forced induction. How do you know this guy knows what a DYNO is? With the language in some of these threads, sometimes learning braille seems like a better option.

PLEASE EVERYONE STOP THIS THREAD POLICING AND SPEND TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS! THATS WHY PEOPLE COME HERE, TO ASK AND ANSWER QUESTIONS! STOP THIS TUNING POST STIGMA!

Why waste your time telling someone to search? Because it makes you feel better? Now you wasted 2 people's time, and 2 wrongs never make a right.
Go yell at other people that start threads with huge pictures how they got their brand new rims, and they have a teaser thread to tell people that they're going to have ANOTHER thread soon with all the pictures.

JB stands for Juice box, and they are different types of tuning mechanisms. They are systems that the user may plug into their current engine wiring harnesses to gain more power.

Since I truly do not understand this because tuners speak in a language I don't understand I can't give you an accurate truthful answer.

From what I gather from reading this stuff is that it gets input and output information from your cars sensors and changes the amount of boost PSI as well as the air to fuel ratio (don't quote me on the latter).

No one will clearly answer this question, ever. There are more than enough people on these forums with some problems, and even more people without any. I guess it all depends on what "Maps" (from what I understand a map is a different series of settings that you have entered) and how hard you run your car.

I would arguably say that I have seen a correlation between fuel pump failures and people that tune their cars. But then again there are a lot of fuel pump failures.

Then again since you may need to "clear codes" as per next question, I think that answers itself.

Is it easy to install oneself and take off if you have to see the dealer service so as not to let them void your warranty?

The JB+ is super simple as it's 1 plug, their video shows you installing nearly 1 handed.

The caveat is that this may throw codes (tuning codes and error codes) so you need to buy a cable (another $100) to attach to who knows what to clear the codes before you bring it to your dealer to fix the problem that your tune caused. To me honestly, it sounds like a headache for us "num nutz" that know nothing about tuning.

In your engine compartment, for a JB there is a series of plugs you need to unplug and plug back into the harness.

For the JB+ you only have 1 connection - again less than 20sec.

Depends on the driver. BMW's performance power kit gains 32 torque and 20hp and claims no change in MPG. Since these products are nearly double, and I'm sure people run their cars harder, I'd probably say noticeably lower on higher maps.

Last edited by Professor///M; 04-06-2011 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
pwrdbynel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Just buy one and try it out you have 15 days to return if you think it's crap. People are going to tell you two things here 1. It's junk 2. It's awesome. Just try it for yourself. I bought my tune and never look back.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Quote:
These are completely newb questions, so please educate me.

What kind of extra power will either give you if everything else is stock?
Do you need to have other mods like downpipe, exhaust, intake if you have JB3/JB+?
Piggyback tunes work by intercepting the signals from various sensors on the engine and modifying them before they go to the DME. For example, the oxygen sensors are reporting the air to fuel ratios are normal, the tune changes those signals to make it appear the engine is running lean. As a result, the DME will add more fuel to correct that "issue." The tune changes the signals to basically trick the DME to responding in a manner that will add more power.

The affect on MPG all depends on how hard you drive the car. Obviously if you are putting out more power, and driving it like you stole it, your MPG will suffer. I run the Procede in my car and as long as I am not driving agressively, I get the same mileage as before. While cruising on the interstate I slightly better mileage because of a feature built into the Procede.

If you buy a JB product, just be sure to pick up a BT tool as well so you can be sure and scan and clear codes before going into the dealer for service. The Procede has the ability to read and clear codes built in so if you go that route you won't need a BT tool. To be fair the Procede also cost more. People are extremely pleased with either tune, so it comes down to your budget and ultimate tuning goals. If you want a little boost in power and don't plan on wanting more, then the JB+ is a great cheap solution. If you want more power especially for future modding then go with a Procede or JB3. Thats the best advise I can offer. Hope it helps

EDIT: Just to add a little more...Mods are not required to install a tune. The more you mod the more HP you will get out of the tune though. You will be fine with being stock and installing a tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep

Thanks PAMidge and jdbretz for answering my questions. That really helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
to be honest its going to be slow regardless lol ... Thats how i feel about my n55 tunes..

so just spend little to no money on the n55 engine right now tell something insane comes out..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikdasneak View Post
to be honest its going to be slow regardless lol ... Thats how i feel about my n55 tunes..

so just spend little to no money on the n55 engine right now tell something insane comes out..
The JB+ Quick Install is really worth the coin though. $279 for the tune, another $80 for the tool to read/delete any hidden codes, do in dash gauges, shift light, etc, and you're ready to run 12s. Doesn't get much better than that especially with a 10 second install.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB+ Quick Install is really worth the coin though. $279 for the tune, another $80 for the tool to read/delete any hidden codes, do in dash gauges, shift light, etc, and you're ready to run 12s. Doesn't get much better than that especially with a 10 second install.

Mike
X2

That's why i told him to spend less money on performance parts.. This^ falls in that area.
Appreciate 0