E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP Recall done...and I'm impressed

04-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xDrive

HPFP Recall done...and I'm impressed

So I might be one of the few lucky ones that have NEVER had a long crank or check engine light on my car. I have a 2008 135i with I think a build date around May 2008. I have no mods and have only put in Shell 93 in my car.

So I was obviously really hesitant about doing the HPFP recall done to my car. But my SA let me have a chat with the master tech and he without a doubt said I should have it done even though my car was not having issues.

So I got my car back today and they updated the software (even though mine was on a pretty high version anyway where the fuel pump would prime on unlocking the car), they updated the HPFP to part number 13-51-7-616-446, and also replaced injectors 3,5, and 6.

The moment I got my car back things felt a little different in a good way. The car fired up instantly (not that I had that issue anyway) and it felt more powerful. I am pretty attentive to detail and I know how my throttle felt and how much "pull" there was at partial throttle especially in 3rd and 4th gear at 2-2.5k RPMs. After doing this it felt more powerful. The biggest difference was actually after gear changes and when I got on the throttle again. It felt like there was less lag than before and the feeling when it hits boost again was more powerful. I guess I'll see if this is just a fluke but as of right now the car feels great.

So just a couple of question...

Is the 446 HPFP the most recent? Is this the one that I should be getting with this recall? Are there any preferred part numbers or ones that should be avoided?

Also it says on the paper that they measured the pressure of one of the pumps. It came out to 5.1 bar. I'm guessing this is for the low pressure pump? Is this number good, bad, normal?

-Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjbak View Post
So I might be one of the few lucky ones that have NEVER had a long crank or check engine light on my car. I have a 2008 135i with I think a build date around May 2008. I have no mods and have only put in Shell 93 in my car.

So I was obviously really hesitant about doing the HPFP recall done to my car. But my SA let me have a chat with the master tech and he without a doubt said I should have it done even though my car was not having issues.

So I got my car back today and they updated the software (even though mine was on a pretty high version anyway where the fuel pump would prime on unlocking the car), they updated the HPFP to part number 13-51-7-616-446, and also replaced injectors 3,5, and 6.

The moment I got my car back things felt a little different in a good way. The car fired up instantly (not that I had that issue anyway) and it felt more powerful. I am pretty attentive to detail and I know how my throttle felt and how much "pull" there was at partial throttle especially in 3rd and 4th gear at 2-2.5k RPMs. After doing this it felt more powerful. The biggest difference was actually after gear changes and when I got on the throttle again. It felt like there was less lag than before and the feeling when it hits boost again was more powerful. I guess I'll see if this is just a fluke but as of right now the car feels great.

So just a couple of question...

Is the 446 HPFP the most recent? Is this the one that I should be getting with this recall? Are there any preferred part numbers or ones that should be avoided?

Also it says on the paper that they measured the pressure of one of the pumps. It came out to 5.1 bar. I'm guessing this is for the low pressure pump? Is this number good, bad, normal?

-Dave
Glad to see you are happy with the results. The 446 is the correct pump. The affected part # pumps would never get installed as a replacement pump. Dealers are stocking the 446 and 170 which are the recent pumps. Also 5.1 bar is for the low pressure pump, that is normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
TwinSnails
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i, X5 G05

I actually felt like my car got stronger after the update as well! Im really happy with the recall.
      04-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep

I'm not sure which part of the recall made my car feel more powerful but it was definitely noticeable. Not like night and day but enough so that the moment I drove it out of the dealership I was pleasantly surprised.

Besides doing the HPFP, 3 of the 6 injectors, and the software update it also shows they reset the adaptation but mine is a 6 speed so I'm not sure how much reseting the adaptations would help it to feel more powerful.

Keep in mind I've never had a single long crank in my car or a check engine light. My SA did tell me though that my fuel pump was a original revision pump and was very surprised that mine did not fail. I have 20,700 miles on my car as of right now.

-Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
thats good to hear, i'll prob just get mine replaced as well, or should before they blame it on something else!

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
dadgar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Can someone clarify, do you just ask the dealership to perform the recall even if you dont have symptoms? Are they required to do it? Or do you have to be showing signs of failure?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep

From what I found out there are 3 parts of the recall. Software update, HPFP, and injectors. I think they will almost always update your software to the newest version. With the injectors they are supposed to pull all 6 out and scan the number on them and it gets sent to BMW. BMW tells the dealers which ones should be replaced, in my case it was 3 out of the 6. I think they go by the S/N or something. And for the HPFP I think it has be a certain part number otherwise it will probably get replaced.

Keep in mind I had no issues what so ever but my SA and the lead tech both told me I should do it for preventative purposes. I was pretty hesitant on doing it since I had no issues and as long I don't get long cranks I'll stay happy.

-Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Can anyone explain why I only got a software update?
I thought everyone was getting the HPFP and some the injectors?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
dadgar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Can anyone explain why I only got a software update?
I thought everyone was getting the HPFP and some the injectors?

I just called my BMW dealership and talked to my SA. Over the phone he got my VIN number and based on that he determined what my car was eligible for. I am getting new software and the new HPFP but not the injectors. So it depends on your car manufacture date I guess. If it helps I am a December 2006 build date. So 2007 model year.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep

I would actually drop the car off at the dealer. My SA told me a few months ago based on my VIN that I only qualify for the software. But when I dropped it off just a few days ago and he ran the VIN again I qualified for all 3 parts of the recall.

And for the injectors I'm pretty sure they need to pull out the injectors physically so they can scan the number so I"m not sure how they would know just by running a VIN.

-Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
scorp508
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadgar View Post
I just called my BMW dealership and talked to my SA. Over the phone he got my VIN number and based on that he determined what my car was eligible for. I am getting new software and the new HPFP but not the injectors. So it depends on your car manufacture date I guess. If it helps I am a December 2006 build date. So 2007 model year.
Injectors are N54s produced from 4/2/2007 to 10/31/2008.

I had 1 injector and the HPFP replaced and there was zero difference before/after the work was performed.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

this is good to hear...my car goes to the stealership this thurs for all 3.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #13
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Injectors replaced only if they fail the test and are not withing specs. Thats why they replace 2,3, 4 sometimes all of them at a time. My pump was already starting to fail and got replaced. I had one of the earlier rebuilt 446 pumps. Now on my 4th pump in 27K miles. My car is 07 though when they were taking a dump like a bad habit.
      04-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Cat Breath
Want Faster
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
... So I got my car back today and they updated the software... The moment I got my car back things felt a little different in a good way... and it felt more powerful. I am pretty attentive to detail and I know how my throttle felt and how much "pull" there was at partial throttle especially in 3rd and 4th gear at 2-2.5k RPMs.
Same here. Took my car in due to misfiring last week, my dealer replaced all 6 injectors, the HP fuel pump, and updated the software. The car feels more responsive under part throttle than it did with the GIAC S1 tune I had on when I took it in. My uninformed guess is that they changed the electronic throttle control to be more aggressive under part throttle.

Quote:
Is the 446 HPFP the most recent?
That's also the pump they put in my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
AR335
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

HPFP - No Software Update

Hoping you guys can shed some light. I got the HPFP replaced a few weeks back but I didn't receive the software update or had any of the injectors replaced. I didn't get the software update because according to the tech and my SA, I'm already up-to-date. I was still skeptical so I spoke to the tech foreman. He mentioned that there isn't a specific software update for any particular component or part. In this case, there is no software update specifically for the HPFP. There's only one software update that reads the entire system and detects if anything needs to be updated. About eight months ago, I had the wastegate rattle problem. Fixing the problem involved running a software update. The software version that was installed is E89x-10-03-502. So my question is, for those of you who had the HPFP replaced and the software update installed, is E89x-10/03-502 what you're all referring to? E89x-10-03-502 is supposedly the most current software update.

What do you guys think ? I have a 2007 335i with a Prod date of 01/2007.

AR335
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Vicko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6mt

I left my car this morning for this recall. In my case HPFP and software update. MY car has 54k miles on it and never had any HPFP isues before. Ive being running full bolts on for the most part of those 54k. SA already call me to let me know it is ready for pick up, so I will report tomorow my ipresion after this update...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
StylinE92
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

I've had mine replaced once with the long cranking, and again with a recall notice. I have 2 friends one with an E92 who has had 3 replaced now, and one with an E82 who has had 4 replaced. These cars seem to go through HPFP like Charlie Sheen goes through strippers.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
AR335
Rep

Four months since replacing HPFP

Since replacing the HPFP, per recall, my Check Engine Light has been displaying. Thing is, it's not consistent. Had the HPFP replaced on 04/13. Since then, the CEL light has gonged nine times. According to this thread and other HPFP threads, most of you had the injectors checked/serviced as well as receiving a software update. They did not service/check the injectors nor did they update the software on my 335i. Could that having anything to do with my CEL problem? Another thing to point out is that I never had a HPFP problem to begin with. No long cranks, no erratic idles, no problems whatsoever. It was replaced only because my SA convinced me to have it replaced because of the recall.

Does anybody know what version of the software it updates to ?

Found this on repairpal.com:
The Check Engine Light may illuminate associated with misfire codes stored in the DME (Engine/Power Traincontrol module). Most often no driveability symptoms are noted. Upgraded software for the DME is available which should correct this concern. Engine control module (DME) software update available.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by AR335; 08-19-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #19
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I had my HPFP replaced several months ago and the car was much better , but yesterday I took her in for service (oil Change) and they did the FI recall and replace 4 injectors and now the car is greatly improved with response. I can not wait to get my procede back on along with my meth and see how she feels.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #20
francisomar
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnails View Post
I actually felt like my car got stronger after the update as well! Im really happy with the recall.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #21
AR335
Rep

Four months since replacing th HPFP

Chefcg1,

So you had your HPFP replaced twice? Once several months ago and then recently when going in for an oil change service? Before having the HPFP replaced, were you having the typical HPFP problems?

I'm thinking if I should go back to the dealer and insist they check/service the injectors and install the software update.

AR335
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #22
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR335 View Post
Since replacing the HPFP, per recall, my Check Engine Light has been displaying. Thing is, it's not consistent. Had the HPFP replaced on 04/13. Since then, the CEL light has gonged nine times. According to this thread and other HPFP threads, most of you had the injectors checked/serviced as well as receiving a software update. They did not service/check the injectors nor did they update the software on my 335i. Could that having anything to do with my CEL problem? Another thing to point out is that I never had a HPFP problem to begin with. No long cranks, no erratic idles, no problems whatsoever. It was replaced only because my SA convinced me to have it replaced because of the recall.

Does anybody know what version of the software it updates to ?

Found this on repairpal.com:
The Check Engine Light may illuminate associated with misfire codes stored in the DME (Engine/Power Traincontrol module). Most often no driveability symptoms are noted. Upgraded software for the DME is available which should correct this concern. Engine control module (DME) software update available.

What do you guys think ?
Just curious if you have DPs, because mine was not throwing engine lights with DPs prior but with the software update after recall, the started throwing the light and codes and when I checked it was cat inefficiency codes. Yes I do have catted DPs, its just the software is a lot more sensitive to emissions tampering than before.