2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK iPhone 4 support

04-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

iPhone 4 support

Hi all, apologies as I'm sure this has come up before, but I can't find anything definitive when searching on here....

Does anyone know if the iPhone 4, or in fact one of the new HTC Windows Phone 7's (undecided at the moment) is fully supported on the post-sept build F10/11?

I seem to recall people on here mentioning that it does work, but want to make sure you get the full teleservices/Internet stuff, as it's suggested you don't on the BMW Bluetooth compatibility site. Saying that, it also says that my current HTC Windows Mobile 6.5 phone shouldn't work, but it does....

So, if someone can give me a 'yes mine works' for either or both of the phones above that'd be great!

Thanks in advance.

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Hello, my iPhone 4 in an F11 sept '10 build (has combox) works with the standard apple USB, Bluetooth audio works, but you have to control via the iPhone its self... The phone book works, can control via the steering wheel and by voice, the only thing that doesn't work is the 'office' functions, do no email or SMS.... If there is anything you want me to try let me know....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

I picked up a new iPhone 4 Media adaptor from my dealer yesterday and the part number now seems to be 84.21.2.218.390 .... from research this is for March '11 builds onwards and I can confirm that it gives playback of music videos, films, video podcasts, etc etc as well as the usual album artwork.

Cheers

M
      07-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
arabcat
Rep
Drives: Soon to be F11 520d M Sport

I looked to buy the iPhone 4 media cradle today only to be told (by BMW parts) that it would not support my cars spec.... F11 (new build delivered this week) with business nab...

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

I dont think the Business Media Pack supports the playing of video etc from the cradle. Im sure someone will confirm this.

M
      07-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabcat View Post
I looked to buy the iPhone 4 media cradle today only to be told (by BMW parts) that it would not support my cars spec.... F11 (new build delivered this week) with business nab...

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Thanks
This is a glitch I think in the BMW parts system. I have a jan 11 build F11 and the media cradle works fine in it. The parts guy did say it didn't show as being valid for the F11 but neither he nor the lead service tech could fathom why......it's the same cradle holder as in the F10. Anyway I bought it and it works as expected.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
arabcat
Rep

Thanks northernmonkey. Can you confirm what sat nav and other tech related options you have?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabcat View Post
Thanks northernmonkey. Can you confirm what sat nav and other tech related options you have?
I have:
- pro nav
- 6FL
- 6NF (audio Bluetooth streaming)
- hifi business speaker package

Currently I listen to all music from 32gb USB stick in the armrest. With the media cradle I can also access music n stuff on my iPhone 4 as well since I've been to lazy to turn on the bluetooth audio thing.

Personally I think the price of the media cradle is ridiculous but I still bought it anyway sucker for gadgets and things with nice silver trim pieces on

I don't have the 6NR apps option.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
arabcat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
I have:
- pro nav
- 6FL
- 6NF (audio Bluetooth streaming)
- hifi business speaker package

Currently I listen to all music from 32gb USB stick in the armrest. With the media cradle I can also access music n stuff on my iPhone 4 as well since I've been to lazy to turn on the bluetooth audio thing.

Personally I think the price of the media cradle is ridiculous but I still bought it anyway sucker for gadgets and things with nice silver trim pieces on

I don't have the 6NR apps option.
I have business nave so I'm assuming it is this difference (from your spec) that means the media cradle won't work
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
The Mewster
Private
Rep

Northernmonkey, have you had any joy getting Internet access to work with the iPhone 4? I've got myself one now, everything works fine (weather, google local search, remote access etc) but I've never found where to access the web browser based Internet access? Don't even know where the menu option is, let alone whether it works!

Probably won't use it much when its working, as google local search is fine for finding places, but would be good to get it working anyway!

Cheers

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mewster View Post
Northernmonkey, have you had any joy getting Internet access to work with the iPhone 4? I've got myself one now, everything works fine (weather, google local search, remote access etc) but I've never found where to access the web browser based Internet access? Don't even know where the menu option is, let alone whether it works!

Probably won't use it much when its working, as google local search is fine for finding places, but would be good to get it working anyway!

Cheers
Don't you need the Internet tethering bolt on for that to work? If so can't help yet. My iPhone is provided by my company and although the bolt on *should* be on my tariff O2 can't seem to get it working.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mewster View Post

Cheers
Did you spec the internet option?

If you did then it is right there in connecteddrive section along with the options above which you can access.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
The Mewster
Private
Rep

Northern - I've got tethering set-up and working on my iPhone, but still no Internet option...

Mud - didn't get the Internet option, as it wasn't an option when I ordered, but I was under the impression that it was standard on post sept 2010 combox cars (although obviously could be wrong!), also I'm sure I've seen it described on the BMW website before Internet was an available option?

Really be interested to see if anyone has it working on a combox car, without having specified Internet, with any phone!

Thanks for the input!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:12 AM   #14
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

You need to have specced it. But it only became available in April 2011.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
You need to have specced it. But it only became available in April 2011.
Is that the 6NR option?
      08-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #16
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Is that the 6NR option?
No, its option 614
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
simonm5
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Can someone post a picture of the media cradle as myself and my dealer seem to be a bit confused, does the media cradle have silver end clips and the word medis written at one end of it ?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonm5 View Post
Can someone post a picture of the media cradle as myself and my dealer seem to be a bit confused, does the media cradle have silver end clips and the word medis written at one end of it ?
Here you go. This is from my MY2012 F10... As you can hopefully see, only the lower end clip has a silver bar on it, the other with "MEDIA" on it is black.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
simonm5
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Oh thank you so much for the quick response and photos this will help a great deal.

I collected my f10 last monday and had pre ordered a Media cradle but when i collected the car the cradle said Music on the front. My dealer said that that was the correct one but seemed a lifttle unsure himself, so your photos will help alot.

Also it looks like we have the same car 2012 520d, how do you find it so far, any good or bad points?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #20
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

You are welcome. I remember the pain my dealer and I had in trying to find all the relevant part no.s for the new model year iPhone connectivity.

Luckily the dealer (Sytner Sunningdale) was very much on the ball, but it was nowhere near as easy as it should be. The brochure and website were not exactly transparent in detailing the requirements!

As you say, there are many similarities between the specs of our cars; I'm extremely happy with mine... just coming up to the end of running-in - local work is keeping me too busy to drive very far!

Certainly (with the right cradle ) the iPhone interfacing is excellent, including all the remote control, remote mapping input and web apps etc. I've also got an iPod plugged into the USB (it came out of the old E60) so there's loads of music and videos available now. Makes commuting time on the Isle of Wight ferries pass more quickly!

I also love having the reversing and surround cameras. The all round visibility through the windows seems rather less than in the E60, so the help is really welcomed. First-time parking between lines and against curved kerbs etc is a breeze now, too. They're also a very good talking point with passengers!

Yep, very pleased
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
andrewjgreen1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d (maybe)

I know this isn't really the place for this post but on reading the thread I couldn't resist...I'm trying to find a media cradle for an iphone 3GS (part number 84212218391). I'm afraid I can't justify the retail cost to myself let alone my wife however, there may be someone out there who's upgraded telephones and has one gathering dust.

Can anoyone help?

Andrew Green
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #22
Darmobar
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 520d msport

Andrew I have a snap in for iphone 3G part number 8421215868201 if it'so interest.
Appreciate 0