BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
bobbyk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XKR

Canadian 6 series price gouging

I was a long time BMW fan buying brand new cars - 740IL in 2001, 745il in 2002, 645 cab in 2005. When my 645 lease was up in 2008, I tried to get an M6 cab but they wanted $135K and the US list was $110K despite the buck being near par. And they wouldn't budge. So I said goodbye BMW and bought a Jag XKR in the US and imported it. Now it's time to cash in the Jag and I'm lovin' the 650 cab. Except BMW doesn't love me, they've priced it 18% higher in Canada than the US, when it should be priced 5% lower. So, I'm actually thinking of going for another Jag. I've had several other brand new cars over these past ten years, even Porsche provided a cash incentive for the exchange. BMW is just gouging in Canada - but not me! From a business perspective, losing a good long time customer must have been worthwhile to BMW... all you have to do is sell a few less cars for a lot more money and business is profitable. So as long as they can get away with that, good on them. But I look at BMW customers in Canada with an eyebrow raised these days... it's a great car, but don't you appreciate the value of money?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Why don't you try shopping around the different Canadian dealers? Granted it is more difficult in Canada than in the US to do this, it can still be done with a phone call or email.

The dealer in Winnipeg is very easy to work with. Last summer I managed to get about 10% off MSRP on my (my dad's) E92 335i. It's his car but I worked out all the numbers for him and got him an incredible deal on it. Every other car we've bought from them they've negotiated down in and around the 10% range too, which is two factory orders (an 09 E92 328, and a 10 X5M). They are really a wonderful sales team to deal with.

The 10% discount doesn't bring it down to US pricing, but keep in mind that the duty will be 6.5% plus 5% GST plus whatever your PST is. But you already knew this because you've imported other vehicles.

Don't discount all Canadian dealers though just because yours won't play ball. If you want or need more info I'll be happy to provide you with my CA and their contact info.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
HMtheJJ
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: B3s, Ranger Rover Sport, S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyk View Post
I was a long time BMW fan buying brand new cars - 740IL in 2001, 745il in 2002, 645 cab in 2005. When my 645 lease was up in 2008, I tried to get an M6 cab but they wanted $135K and the US list was $110K despite the buck being near par. And they wouldn't budge. So I said goodbye BMW and bought a Jag XKR in the US and imported it. Now it's time to cash in the Jag and I'm lovin' the 650 cab. Except BMW doesn't love me, they've priced it 18% higher in Canada than the US, when it should be priced 5% lower. So, I'm actually thinking of going for another Jag. I've had several other brand new cars over these past ten years, even Porsche provided a cash incentive for the exchange. BMW is just gouging in Canada - but not me! From a business perspective, losing a good long time customer must have been worthwhile to BMW... all you have to do is sell a few less cars for a lot more money and business is profitable. So as long as they can get away with that, good on them. But I look at BMW customers in Canada with an eyebrow raised these days... it's a great car, but don't you appreciate the value of money?

hey I know it's been almost a yr from your post, but for what it's worth, I can get a $25000 discount on a 6 cab right now, and also if you are still looking to get a 6 cab, just walk in your dealer and tell them: i know BMW is giving you guys a $12500 inventive for selling one 6 cab, so I want some good deal on it

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyk View Post
But I look at BMW customers in Canada with an eyebrow raised these days... it's a great car, but don't you appreciate the value of money?
I lived in Canada for some years, before moving to Australia.

My 650i cost me A$247,000 . And the A$ is worth more than the C$ or the US$.

Be thankful. You live in a great country, and you pay less than half what I paid...in another great country.

r