2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Trailer Hitch Available?

05-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
mikel51
Rep
Drives: 535ix gt

Question Trailer Hitch Available?

anyone have thoughts on whether a trailer hitch is available? I love the gt for the ability to throw my bike in the back, but might like a trailer hitch so I can take my wife biking without throwing bikes on top of each other.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
simon530d GT
Rep
Drives: 530d GT

Yeh, uk version can b ordered with an electronic one in case u don't like muddy knees
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Don't know if the factory one can easily be retrofitted, but it is nice (and expensive). It has a motor on it to move it around to make it easier to get a trailer hooked up and, it has sensors in it that adjust the braking system based on how the trailer is reacting. It doesn't show up in the US option list, so not sure if it is easily available or if there are any structural differences. It probably would require adding a wiring harness, and maybe software updates, which may not be compatible with the US version. I've not looked underneath to see if there are mounting provisions for it built-in, or if it is a special bracket normally installed during manufacture. A generic hitch could probably be added, though. Really mess up a rear-ender, though.

Do you currently have the BMW roof rack? If so, how do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
mikel51
Rep
Drives: 535ix gt

It was definitely not on the US option list when I purchased my 535GT in Jan. Also, none of the aftermarket hitch suppliers list this as a car that is supported.

Haven't installed a roof rack, but it would probably be easy to do since there are plastic plugs in the roof that can come out to facilitate installation. I am not sure how easy it is to install and remove and if there would be any impact on fuel mileage or road noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Thule makes a fit kit for the car, but it ends up being more expensive than buying the BMW factory rack (now that I have both a Yakima and a Thule rack from older cars...was hoping the fit kit might be cheaper, but it's not).

From what I can tell, you fold the cover out, set the foot down, and there's a captive screw that fits into a fastener in the roof. Fairly easy to install. No idea how much noise they may add, but should come off fairly quickly if not needed. I own a recumbent trike, and am hoping it will fit in the vehicle and still allow at least one rear passenger. Didn't want to maybe get a dealer car dirty, so didn't try it, but did measure...it will fit, but not sure of the best orientation...will have to wait for mine to show up.

The USA branch doesn't stock many of the options available elsewhere...for example, they have a neat front window cover, covers the windshield and the two front windows and part of the roof available in Germany. I bought one while I was there. Haven't tried it. Should keep the car much cooler on a hot, sunny day. A little worried it might freeze to the glass if used in the winter, but will probably try it.
Appreciate 0