E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > New Member

03-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Scott1624
Rep
Drives: 320d e90

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and new to BMW.
We are looking at buying a 2007 320d, it is a huge change for us as we have been Holden drivers all our life, mainly HSV.
Currently we own a VZ Senator and as great as she is to drive we are looking for a completely new direction.

We drove the 320D on Saturday and we were impressed with the power of the little 4 cyl TD, nothing like the 6.0 Litre we are driving now, but a supurb overall package.

We can't do anything until we sell the Senator but at least we have the car we want in sight.

Questions -
What is the overall feeling of the 320D, what are the pro's and cons.
Are the BMW services expensive, and how about reliability??

With the run flat tyres are they expensive to replace and do you think they give a harder ride.

We havn't yet looked at the options, i won't be going for the Sports pack, been there done that with the HSV, we are after a nice ride.

I read also about the sound systems, what do you guys recommend.

There is good reading in this forum and i will gain alot of info, in the coming weeks before our purchase.

Cheers
Scott
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
welcome to he forum scott

i can't comment on the 320d, but i know a few people here have them...

but the e90s that i have driven, a 320, 325, and 330, all felt very solid and sure footed, and a pleasure to drive! i enjoyed teh loan car i got, which was a 320

bmw services will be, most likely, a shock to the system pricewise after owning a holden... they can be a bit pricey, but not obscene unless something major goes wrong (but then that is a warranty issue right? )

the dealer should be ablw to give you an estimate of what the oil and inspection services... i asked when i bought my car
      03-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Welcome Scott,

That's a bold move dropping down to half an engine !!!!. I haven't driven the 320d as I still couldn't get my head around a desial even though they are the rage in Europe. I surpose petrol prices don't worry me as I get a fuel card at work. Anyway, from what I'm hearing about desials, most (if not all offerings) are all well regarded these days in the motoring world.

As far as BMW reliability goes, it's no different to any other make out there. You have good and bad in everything. The difference is that BMW stand behind their product and don't try to wessal out of a warrenty claim. You will be dealt with in a proffesional and coutious manner and issues will be dealt with swiftly. Having said that, I'm onto my 4th 3 series now and can hardly recall the issues I had as they were insignificant. However, my 5 series I can write a book on but it's all good now.

Cost of services is on par with other presteige marques (probably a little cheaper than some) but it's no Holden or Toyota in prices. With my E90, it's telling me my first oil service is at 28,000Klm which I know you would almost be up to your second service in a Holden. I am going to get it changed at 15,000klms anyway.

Brake pads wear quickly so expect them every 30 - 35,000klm with rotors on each second change. If you like to keep your car clean, brake dust will be your biggest enemy.

Run flats have stiffer side walls but since you are going for the non sports pack, the ride quality will be very smooth. The sports pack while being very firm, is still very composed and makes the car retain it luxury feel. As for prices, around $480 for a 225/45/17 and $530 for a 255/40/17 (as used on the M-sport). You dont have to replace with run flat either. All you need to do is have a can of sealer and compressor. This is what I'm probably going to do when I need tyres as I think i've only had 1 flat tyre in 25 year of driving and even that was not a blow out.

You'll love it i'm sure ( as long as the lack of 200kw and a bank of cylinders doesnt worry you)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Scott1624
Rep

Thanks for the reply's.
Yeah it is a huge drop, but to be honest it works against me at times,i know one day i will be coping a speeding fine, it is very difficult to drive the HSV normal, lol
I am over the performance trip, i am really looking for a tourer, i love the 5 series but way out of my price range.

Tyres wise, HSV low profile 19" pirellei's are costingv about $650 each corner, and they only last 20-25000 km's.
That is outrageous, and that is one of the reasons i am looking elsewhere.

As for the Diesel i drove both Petrol and diesel and the diesel had more power, it suprised me the performance it did have, i was impressed, they tell me the new 530 diesel is a powerhouse.

I have been coping a bit of flak from the Holden forum saying i am jumping ship, as much as the new VE is a great car, there is nothing i think that compares with what we have looked at.

Cheers
Scott
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Welcome Scott.

To back up what some of the other members have said, the reliability I've had from my E90 has been good too - generally the issues are electronics related, but fixed with firmware updates.

Service for me has been 10/10 compared to any dealer I've been to.

My first service and oil change is due at 37,000 Kms!!! I wondered if I need to have it earlier but BMW stick firmly behind their CBS system (Condition Based Servicing) which looks at a variety of parameters on the car and then tells you a date or Km figure for your service. Doing anything before this, I have been assured by many people, is unnecessary.

I haven't driven the D but have heard the torque is a good thing on it - I've also heard that from a fuel perspective you need to do mega-Ks to get the extra cost back but as you have a fuel card, I guess the torque is your main driver.

I've heard you can get the RFTs cheaper than quoted above but I'm on 27,000 and don't need some for a while, so no direct experience yet - i may change to non-RFTs like other members as I've heard bad things about RFTs and like others, I've rarely had punctures.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Welcome Scott, like everyone said the 320d is a decent car and definately will impress you once you start taking corners and driving on nice curvey roads. After all, these are BMW's specialty. Just wondering which Holden forum your in? i have been wanting to buy a HSV GTS(for the old man) after i order my 335coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Scott1624
Rep

The Holden Forum is www.ls1.com.au

The car i am selling is a 2006 VZ HSV "Skaife Limited Edition" Senator, truly a beautiful motor car, but the wife wants a smaller car and i tend to agree after driving the 3 series i was impressed, ikmpressed enough to sell my Senator.

I couldn't sell her and buty just any car, so we went to Motorline BMW, and they have treated us vey well.
I have never contemplated ever in owning a BMW, so this is a new direction for us

Cheers
Scotty
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1624 View Post
Thanks for the reply's.
Yeah it is a huge drop, but to be honest it works against me at times,i know one day i will be coping a speeding fine, it is very difficult to drive the HSV normal, lol
I am over the performance trip, i am really looking for a tourer, i love the 5 series but way out of my price range.

Tyres wise, HSV low profile 19" pirellei's are costingv about $650 each corner, and they only last 20-25000 km's.
That is outrageous, and that is one of the reasons i am looking elsewhere.

As for the Diesel i drove both Petrol and diesel and the diesel had more power, it suprised me the performance it did have, i was impressed, they tell me the new 530 diesel is a powerhouse.

I have been coping a bit of flak from the Holden forum saying i am jumping ship, as much as the new VE is a great car, there is nothing i think that compares with what we have looked at.

Cheers
Scott

yeh, the prices of tyres suck for decent ones i got hit with high prices when i bought the bigger wheels

the 5 series diesel IS something i can comment on... i was surprised at the power of the car... it was a nice drive
      03-27-2007, 01:28 AM   #9
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1624 View Post
Hi Guys,
We can't do anything until we sell the Senator but at least we have the car we want in sight.

Questions -
What is the overall feeling of the 320D, what are the pro's and cons.
Are the BMW services expensive, and how about reliability??

With the run flat tyres are they expensive to replace and do you think they give a harder ride.

We havn't yet looked at the options, i won't be going for the Sports pack, been there done that with the HSV, we are after a nice ride.

I read also about the sound systems, what do you guys recommend.

There is good reading in this forum and i will gain alot of info, in the coming weeks before our purchase.

Cheers
Scott
Welcome to the forum. I got my 320d four days ago. After four months wait. So if you like to personalised the car with No cost options and Cost based options, you may need to consider ordring your car early.

Because I am new to bmw as well, I cannot say anything about reliability and service cost.

Not sure about the price of RFT, but I am sure it will be more than $300 for 225/45 W 17 a pop. Some infos from the forum also mention that they go bald a lot quicker than normal tyres.

I am 320d without sport pack.
Pro and Cons of 320d:
:
- Diesel rattle on stationary is rather loud and very loud if if you stand outside.
- Run Flats has thumping sounds when you are not on smooth bitumens.
- Ride on Run Flat is not comfy ( I have a set of non run flats to compare with)
- Run Flats are expensive.
- BMW has longer bonnets (compared with FWD and Commodore)
- Lack of storage.

:
- Diesel is very smooth once the car moves
- 3 series is the best handling in its class
- no rattles (on mine)
- Diesel had ultra low fuel consumption. Similar to my Toyota Echo.
- Best auto in the world (ZF)

Sound system Logic7 is one of the best the world made by Harman kardon. But it is costly.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
Scott1624
Rep

Just an Update on the new car.
Today we will order the new 2007 E90 320D, the new spec 320 has comfort access, fold down seats and rear bumper alarm.
Colour wise we are going for the saphire black with Dokota beige leather and woodgrain interior.
I am keeping the car standard, except i am getting chrome window strips, to break up the all black finish.

My first choice colour was Silver, but i think the 320's look good in any colour, i guess black is a bit more prestigeous.

Anyway there tell me the end of April is the delivery date, all smiles here

Cheers
Scotty
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrat's on the new car! I hope you didn't take too much of a dive on the depreciation on the HSV though.

Be sure to post up some pics when it rolls in
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
Scott1624
Rep

Yeah i lost a bit there with the Senator, but overall the difference we worked out is around $125 per week we will gain owning and running the 320.

Like i said to my wife you cannot compare apples with oranges, the Senator is a completely different car in a different class, our main objective was to have a prestigeous car, not loosing anything on the HSV, and save buck$$

My V8 days are over,(in saying that the 320 is no slouch i was real impressed with the torque and speed off the line)
And that amazing fuel economy is what sold us in the end.

Cheers for the Best wishes, i will send pics when i get the car

Scotty
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Congratulations Scotty .... I'm sure you and your wife will be happy with the320d.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Congratulation! I had my 320d for two and a half weeks now and very happy with it. I spend more time with her than any other cars I have ever had.

I am still learning to use the turning indicator stalk on the left hand side though (instead of right). Also I found that the indicator stalk and cruise control stalk are very close together and feel very similar and often made mistakes.

Mostly city drive I got 7.6l/100km. The torque of the diesel are amazing.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #15
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Welcome Scott,

That's a bold move dropping down to half an engine !!!!. I haven't driven the 320d as I still couldn't get my head around a desial even though they are the rage in Europe. I surpose petrol prices don't worry me as I get a fuel card at work. Anyway, from what I'm hearing about desials, most (if not all offerings) are all well regarded these days in the motoring world.

As far as BMW reliability goes, it's no different to any other make out there. You have good and bad in everything. The difference is that BMW stand behind their product and don't try to wessal out of a warrenty claim. You will be dealt with in a proffesional and coutious manner and issues will be dealt with swiftly. Having said that, I'm onto my 4th 3 series now and can hardly recall the issues I had as they were insignificant. However, my 5 series I can write a book on but it's all good now.

Cost of services is on par with other presteige marques (probably a little cheaper than some) but it's no Holden or Toyota in prices. With my E90, it's telling me my first oil service is at 28,000Klm which I know you would almost be up to your second service in a Holden. I am going to get it changed at 15,000klms anyway.

Brake pads wear quickly so expect them every 30 - 35,000klm with rotors on each second change. If you like to keep your car clean, brake dust will be your biggest enemy.

Run flats have stiffer side walls but since you are going for the non sports pack, the ride quality will be very smooth. The sports pack while being very firm, is still very composed and makes the car retain it luxury feel. As for prices, around $480 for a 225/45/17 and $530 for a 255/40/17 (as used on the M-sport). You dont have to replace with run flat either. All you need to do is have a can of sealer and compressor. This is what I'm probably going to do when I need tyres as I think i've only had 1 flat tyre in 25 year of driving and even that was not a blow out.

You'll love it i'm sure ( as long as the lack of 200kw and a bank of cylinders doesnt worry you)
VGR, when are you up for new tyres? Like you, I've had only 1 or 2 flats in 18 years of driving,...I'm also considering replacing my non-RFTs with normal tyres but have a while to go yet. I would be interested in your opinions on the change.

As for BMW reliability, it's okay but not what I would hope. Both my cars have been into the dealers on average 3-4 times a year, but I'm pretty fussy about things, so half of those times are for very minor things.

None of it particularly bothers me though, as:

1) my dealer is a 5 min drive from my house
2) my dealer is very customer focussed so a pleasure to visit
3) Gives me a chance to check out the new cars
4) Cars have tonnes of parts so something has to go wrong some time!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #16
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

James ... I still only have under 10,000ks on the car so replacement tryes will be some time.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
James ... I still only have under 10,000ks on the car so replacement tryes will be some time.
Damn...My E90 has done 27,500 but I'm selling it before I'll change any tyres...Like you I've only done just under 10,000 in my other so maybe I'll park the discussion for a year or so!
Appreciate 0