E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > And Another Fuel Pump Bites The Dust.......

03-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

And Another Fuel Pump Bites The Dust.......

fuel pump died and I dont even have proceed on my car.

Last edited by CASHBY; 04-04-2007 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

damn good luck man
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

oh yea... anyone know any good aftermarket pumps for our car?

Ill just get a good one and do it myself....shit the down time will be a lot less if i just do it rather than wait for them to get the part and take their time while im driving a POS Loaner.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
soma4u
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEA 3 View Post
I have been noticing a slight surge when driving lately like its cutting fuel, but didn't know if it was my imagination or something actually wrong. Sometimes it will do it and some times it wont... but on the way to work today after letting the car warm up, I was getting on the freeway and gave it a bit of gas to merge into the traffic, and the car just started shuttering like it was being starved of fuel.... I couldn't even give it gas, service light came on and a CEL was thrown.

I turned the car off and back on to clear the code and just drove normal to work... going to uninstall the PROcede tonight and take it in tomorrow.

Damn these 335's and their POS fuel pumps.

Also I just hit 5000 miles and I was just reading in another post from Shiv, he spoke with a tech at BMW and the tech said they go bad before 5k miles, but if it hasn't by then odds are you have a good one.... I just hit 5000 and it took a shat.

Oh well taking it in tomorrow, im almost positive its the fuel pump but who knows it could be something else.... we will see.
Pretty much the same issue I was having last week...I have PROcede as well, and right at 2500rpm the car would shudder like it was going to stall??? I put Lucas Fuel cleaner in the tank and the problem is now gone. Please keep us informed on what the outcome is...If it is not the pump, pretty much it has to be poor gas. It seems like some 335's w/ PROcede are more succeptable to problems with gas thats not up to snuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
SoCal335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92-TT Jet Blk Coral Red

I only have 1800 miles on my car... I hope mine doesnt go out damn it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

I have same issues as CEA. I used octane booster and still had problems so it's not the octane. Mine started at 5200 miles
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
I have been noticing a slight surge when driving lately like its cutting fuel, but didn't know if it was my imagination or something actually wrong. Sometimes it will do it and some times it wont... but on the way to work today after letting the car warm up, I was getting on the freeway and gave it a bit of gas to merge into the traffic, and the car just started shuttering like it was being starved of fuel.... I couldn't even give it gas, service light came on and a CEL was thrown.

I turned the car off and back on to clear the code and just drove normal to work... going to uninstall the PROcede tonight and take it in tomorrow.

Damn these 335's and their POS fuel pumps.

Also I just hit 5000 miles and I was just reading in another post from Shiv, he spoke with a tech at BMW and the tech said they go bad before 5k miles, but if it hasn't by then odds are you have a good one.... I just hit 5000 and it took a shat.

Oh well taking it in tomorrow, im almost positive its the fuel pump but who knows it could be something else.... we will see.
CEA3, keep in mind that these aren't normal fuel pumps. These pumps operate at 3000 psi because of the direct injection. Normal fuel pumps for cars are around 60psi. You can't just go to the local parts house and buy a new fuel pump for our cars.

Sorry for the trouble! Let us know how it works out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soma4u View Post
Pretty much the same issue I was having last week...I have PROcede as well, and right at 2500rpm the car would shudder like it was going to stall??? I put Lucas Fuel cleaner in the tank and the problem is now gone. Please keep us informed on what the outcome is...If it is not the pump, pretty much it has to be poor gas. It seems like some 335's w/ PROcede are more succeptable to problems with gas thats not up to snuff.
Any tuned car, making more power than stock, will reveal fuel system problems earlier than a stock car. So if an injector is flaky or if a fuel pump is dying, you'll know it sooner than later if you are running a PROcede or any other power adder. Same goes for gas quality. I know some customers that have run the stock car on 87 octane and never noticed a thing. If you do the same thing with a PROcede tuned car, the car will go into a low boost limp mode where it will drive normally but with no boost.

What you are describing with the "shudder" does not sound like this. If the fuel injector cleaner solved the problem, looked like you had a clogged injector. Keep us posted though.

The fuel pump recall is a pretty rare problem in absolute terms (only seen a handful of them on this forum). But BMW does seem to be taking care of everybody (rightfully so, of course). If you do have a higher mileage 335, your probably in the clear.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma4u View Post
I only use 76, i am the most ANAL person when it comes to what type of gas I put in the car, for the past few years all I have been using is 76... and ocasionaly shell.

but we will see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Just took in my 335i for its Second fuel pump, the symptoms are exactly what you described. I uninstalled the procede last night before taking it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
CEA3, keep in mind that these aren't normal fuel pumps. These pumps operate at 3000 psi because of the direct injection. Normal fuel pumps for cars are around 60psi. You can't just go to the local parts house and buy a new fuel pump for our cars.

Sorry for the trouble! Let us know how it works out.
I figured this much, but there has to be a better solution, well sooner or later im sure there will be.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1 View Post
Just took in my 335i for its Second fuel pump, the symptoms are exactly what you described. I uninstalled the procede last night before taking it in.
Yea, my money is it being a faulty fuel pump.

Oh well thats why we have warranty!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yea, my money is it being a faulty fuel pump.

Oh well thats why we have warranty!
Yes, and i love it and all but!:

This being my second fuel pump it also involves, me getting up ealry, driving the dealership which isnt close, getting a rental, getting everything out of my car that i need for the short/longterm i'll be with out it. After they realize that they are going to have to hold my car for longer becuase there is a back order on new fuel pumps, then i have to go back and switch the rental for a loaner, then eventually get my car back. To be honest, its cramping my style a little, all this shit that needs to be taken care of, etc......

If i even had to pay a DIME for this service, i would rip someone's head off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Just tell your service manager that you don't want to drop off your car until they have fuel pumps in stock. There is a national shortage so this is a reasonable request.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Just tell your service manager that you don't want to drop off your car until they have fuel pumps in stock. There is a national shortage so this is a reasonable request.
But i seriously feel asthough my car is STRUGGLING to run, especially when starting the car is goes. CHK CHK CHK VROOOoOMMMM...and then CHUCKA CHuka Chahaha....DEAD. After 3 or 4 restarts does the engine actually come to an idle withough dying.

Plus there is the whole, when i forget to baby the engine when driving it starts to shudder and shake and sound like a fart can....and while this may only be aesthetic-ish problems, i can think its GOOD for the eningine, especially since with this second time around the engine seems to not want to go into limp mode.....at all. (only once)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #16
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Yea that is exactly what I did when they had to replace my oil temp sensor
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1 View Post
Yes, and i love it and all but!:

This being my second fuel pump it also involves, me getting up ealry, driving the dealership which isnt close, getting a rental, getting everything out of my car that i need for the short/longterm i'll be with out it. After they realize that they are going to have to hold my car for longer becuase there is a back order on new fuel pumps, then i have to go back and switch the rental for a loaner, then eventually get my car back. To be honest, its cramping my style a little, all this shit that needs to be taken care of, etc......

If i even had to pay a DIME for this service, i would rip someone's head off.
And it doesn't bother you at all that you're running the entire fuel delivery system harder than designed because of the engine mods yet you're still pissed if they don't do warranty work? You don't get anything for free.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #18
tibbz
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535i; 07 E92 335i (ret)

CEA and Starch

What production month was your car in production? Just curious, I read somewhere that September production car seems to have the most faulty fuel pumps. Can you let us know? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #19
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

CEA, that's sucks! Sorry to hear about your problem, but as someone already said, maybe you could try to run out most of your current gas, put some fuel injector cleaner and fill it back up; then, drive around with it as is until your dealer's service dept. gets the fuel pump in. Just tell them that you're not comfortable driving around another car (for safety reasons if it's not a BMW loaner), and they need to order the part. You'll bring your car in when the part arrives....it's worth a try.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

bro 76 sucks!!!!!!! mobil, bp/ammco, shell are only acceptable for my 95 e34 540 and the s55's soon to add a s63 and my e92 335 in about 3 weeks!!!!! i much prefer bp and mobil!!!!! no chavez!!!!!! i would never never use 76
________
MILF TITS

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger View Post
And it doesn't bother you at all that you're running the entire fuel delivery system harder than designed because of the engine mods yet you're still pissed if they don't do warranty work? You don't get anything for free.
You gotta pay to play!

but lets not start the whole dishonesty with warranty speech.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #22
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
bro 76 sucks!!!!!!! mobil, bp/ammco, shell are only acceptable for my 95 e34 540 and the s55's soon to add a s63 and my e92 335 in about 3 weeks!!!!! i much prefer bp and mobil!!!!! no chavez!!!!!! i would never never use 76
about 90% of the people on this board and that mod their cars will disagree with you.

76 is the best hands down.
Appreciate 0