E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Sonax Xtreme Leather Foam

05-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Sonax Xtreme Leather Foam

Hiya,

I was looking for something to clean my leather. I don't have much of it in the car - wheel, handbrake, shifter, arm rest and the door arm rests (rest is alcantara-cloth).

I've sort of decided on going for Sonax products lately because they're easy for me to get, and don't seem to be all that bad (i.e. Poorboys, Chemical Guys, etc whathaveyou as competition)

To the foam - it's not really a foam. It's more like a milky liquid that foams up as it comes out of the can, but the bubbles dissapear almost instantly, leaving you with just a liquid product. However, what's good is that the spray nozzle is very fine - it's a single jet, so it's very easy to aim, and you get no overspray.

As far as what it does to the leather, it brings back it's shine, and makes it look "healthy". I tried the BMW leather wipes (also manufactured by Sonax, as all the other BMW cosmetic stuff), which didn't work anywhere as well. Also, they left the leather sticky for a while, this Xtreme foam doesn't do that.

All in all I'm satisfied. It contains some beeswax (?), which is probably my only gripe, in the sense that if you get it on plastic, you can't just wipe it off - you have to use your interior cleaner, but that's just a small complaint. At the end of the day, just do your leather first, and then the plastics (actually that is what I do anyways), as my interior cleaner (AutoGlym Interior shampoo) doesn't seem to interfere with the Sonax.

I also bought some of the Sonax Xtreme windscreen wiper fluid, which I'm eager to try, but it looks like I still have plenty of my old fluid (which is still good - Shell SMART fluid with Rain OFF). I look forward to trying the Foam upholstery cleaner, the interior cleaner and window from the Xtreme series, as well as the highspeed wax - when I run out of stuff I have in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

interesting, never tried that one.

you said it adds shine? you dont want shine on leather IMO.
      05-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
interesting, never tried that one.

you said it adds shine? you dont want shine on leather IMO.
Well, I had never really taken care of my leather before, so it looked really dull... right now, it looks something like an orange peel, maybe a little less shiny... when you're in the car, you don't notice it much, mostly when you open the door. Only the leather on the door arm rests is shiny, on the wheel/shifter it's matte, like new. It's not the "greasy" type of shiny though.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Beeswax (or any other organic or inorganic wax) are hydrophobic, which means they will not allow the replacement of moisture lost through evaporation, nor allow the movement of moisture back and forth (evaporation and hydration). Not ideal for leather in the same way wax or oils aren’t, as they seal the surface and make it slippery, something I personally don’t enjoy in any car.

Don't get any wax on Alacanta it will cause the fibres to become matt
Appreciate 0