E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > LSD Limited Slip Differential **Standard in Hartage**

03-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
335boosted2Dmax
Banned
Rep
Drives: Boosted

LSD Limited Slip Differential **Standard in Hartage**

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...&page=1&Mode=B

Check out the video...........
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

i think this is the 6th of this
      03-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Hell I posted in the last Hartge LSD thread
      03-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
335boosted2Dmax
Banned
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Hell I posted in the last Hartge LSD thread
Was it in here this forum or another?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

damn i am deff gonna buy one of these babies!!!!!!!
________
BMW 801

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

900 quid is less than 2gs right?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

We have been waiting on the Quaife LSD for some time now...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=43031&page=11
Interesting that Hartge has set up the 335 the way many of us have been doing on our own.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
BavarianRocket
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, Jet Black

what exactly is involved in adding an LSD... sorry I am an idiot
      03-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Adham
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianRocket View Post
you arent an idiot its a valid question. basically to add an LSD unit your differential either has to be removed and shipped to a shop or you can have the LSD shipped to you and have it installed locally. either way, you have to pull your diff, and it is a very complicated and intensive job to install an LSD unit. it needs to be done professionally. here is a link to how an LSD works.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
      03-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
It's a PITA big time.

First you have to get on the waiting list -- see my post above.
Then you wait months. Pay about $1500. And that's the easy part.

Once you get the Quaife LSD, you have to crack open your differential and pull it apart to put the torsen-type unit in. This is a lot of work on the 335 because you have to drop most of the rear suspension down. Of course, that makes it handy to do a rear sway bar upgrade, and, what the heck, a set of coilovers and strut braces while you've got your hands dirty. Hate to say it, but I am getting too old for this kind of work, and other folks are willing to pay me too much for my time doing other stuff, so if I want a Porsche-beater, I'm going to have to hire a wrench to do this stuff for me. I figure 5 hours labor for the LSD, and 4 for the rest. Combined with PROcede and Michelin PS2s: priceless!

Now, wouldn't it be nice of BMW to offer all this stuff in a handy package and save us all this trouble... Short of buying the new M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
BavarianRocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adham View Post
you arent an idiot its a valid question. basically to add an LSD unit your differential either has to be removed and shipped to a shop or you can have the LSD shipped to you and have it installed locally. either way, you have to pull your diff, and it is a very complicated and intensive job to install an LSD unit. it needs to be done professionally. here is a link to how an LSD works.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Thanks man..... I have been attempting drifts in my 335i.... can get the rear out there but not like in an M car....
      03-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

The last thread that I saw from BMWMike indicated that he wasn't completely satisfied with the LSD that you are referring to.

Has that changed??
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

It would be nice to get BMWmike back online to hear what his current info is. My read of his initial post was that he had not sorted out how it worked on DTC and full-off yet, which is what we needed to know. The Hartge video was convincing.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

by the way, i just realized today that the DTC option act like a computer controlled LSD braking the inside wheel around corners, i had been turning it fully off and not haveing to much fun (still more than with DSC on) because the inside wheel would just spin and spin with even a tiny bit of throttle, not anymore

as long as you dont give it enough throttle to break your outside wheel loose it doesnt limit the throttle and just brakes the inside wheel

having much more fun now that things ar atleast closer to how there suposed to be /evil grin

i have a feeling my rear brake pads will wear really really fast this way though O_O, and you still cant completly replace an LSD with the computer, but its still better then having DTC totally off
      03-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

+1
      03-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
BavarianRocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
by the way, i just realized today that the DTC option act like a computer controlled LSD braking the inside wheel around corners, i had been turning it fully off and not haveing to much fun (still more than with DSC on) because the inside wheel would just spin and spin with even a tiny bit of throttle, not anymore

as long as you dont give it enough throttle to break your outside wheel loose it doesnt limit the throttle and just brakes the inside wheel

having much more fun now that things ar atleast closer to how there suposed to be /evil grin

i have a feeling my rear brake pads will wear really really fast this way though O_O, and you still cant completly replace an LSD with the computer, but its still better then having DTC totally off

I have found the same thing... with DTC on you can have much more control with everything off, you can loose the rear easily but some times the inside wheel that has pressure released from a hard turn with spin and spin then when you bring it down it grabs so hard it breaks the other wheel loose and it puts you into this death S.....

Oh yeah smoked some fool in a WRX with exhaust and god knows what else.. I think he was shocked....
      03-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
I have found the same thing... with DTC on you can have much more control with everything off, you can loose the rear easily but some times the inside wheel that has pressure released from a hard turn with spin and spin then when you bring it down it grabs so hard it breaks the other wheel loose and it puts you into this death S.....

Oh yeah smoked some fool in a WRX with exhaust and god knows what else.. I think he was shocked....
thats exactly what was happening to me, i always take corners very hard when im out playing around, and i would either have to give it no throttle until the car had almost completly settled out of the turn, or have the inside wheel just spin and spin from the slightest of throttle (i meant really hard turns)

you can imagine the grin on my face when i realized dtc wasnt intrusive as i thought it would be

after another day of driving only with dtc on, i found it only limits throttle in a straight line from a bad launch, it doesnt limit throttle in corners even if your in the process of spinning out (i guess they knew, as most people do, that to recover from a possible spin requires throttle; so taking away that ability would be bad)

i was out just now in the rain with a new, bigger, shit eating grin on my face

im a lot happier now that i dont have to be absolutly tortured until i get my hands on a lsd
      03-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #18
BavarianRocket
Private
Rep

Yeah that is what is weird about the DTC... in a straight line it will F with you.... but on turns it gives you the freedom you want..... I can actually get a better break on hard turns this way then with it off completely......

I want to know why when I do a burnout or hard launch why there is still 2 sets of tire tracks if supposedly only one wheel spins.... I could just be a moron on this again though