E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > BIRD POOP

06-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

BIRD POOP

could someone guide me to cleaning bird poops on jet black paint?

left the car out mistakenly for 3 days and poops been on the hood for at least 2 days in sunshine 90 degree weather.

just got home and removed it with water first but already left a stain on the JB paint already.

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
intensee92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy.

Use a quick detailer of any kind then wipe it off with a microfiber towel
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

let it soak in soapy water first. bird poop is really gritty and can scratch your finish.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
H4n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

I just spray it with quick detailer, let it sit until it looks like it's breaking down by the QD then wipe gently/spray/fold towel/wipe/fold again and final wipe
      06-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
joed1
ED RN
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi coupe/2011 X3

Lots of water. Do not attempt to wipe it off until the crap is softened. It can contain sand etc. and will do further harm unless it can be floated off your finish. Also removing it ASAP is utmost importance as the Ph is low.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just happened to me yesterday morning. When I got home from work, I sprayed it with quick detailer (lots of it) and wiped it off with a microfiber towel. Worked perfectly. (Black SM finish)

My paint is protected pretty good as it gets complete details twice a year (clay, polish, etc) and I wax it at least once a month.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
Just happened to me yesterday morning. When I got home from work, I sprayed it with quick detailer (lots of it) and wiped it off with a microfiber towel. Worked perfectly. (Black SM finish)

My paint is protected pretty good as it gets complete details twice a year (clay, polish, etc) and I wax it at least once a month.
need moar!!!

lol i detail 4 times a year and wax every month..... and turtle wax ice every week!!!!
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
need moar!!!

lol i detail 4 times a year and wax every month..... and turtle wax ice every week!!!!
i dont like your sig.... manu was just having a bad day. jk

i use ice about every week almost my self as well.

and i did remove the poop... just that paint seems dull and corroded in the spot.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy817 View Post
and i did remove the poop... just that paint seems dull and corroded in the spot.
yeah it happens. have to polish it
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

For you guys waxing every week, you're doing it too often. At a certain point you're removing as much old wax as you're adding. once every 4-6 weeks is the max that makes sense. If you wax every week your car will actually look less shiny than if you do every 6, as too many coats of wax can make things look cloudy.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Saturate with QD or Waterless wash of your choice, pinch upwards with MF once softened to remove 90% then respray with QD/WW and wipe. Get most off with the pinch method first to avoid any marring.

+100 on waxing the wax process.

If you see stains then you'll have to polish to remove them.

Last edited by Bobble; 06-03-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Miami
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
For you guys waxing every week, you're doing it too often. At a certain point you're removing as much old wax as you're adding. once every 4-6 weeks is the max that makes sense. If you wax every week your car will actually look less shiny than if you do every 6, as too many coats of wax can make things look cloudy.
the weekly washes im talking about aren't like....apply and rub it for like 40 mins, wait for haze then polish off...no the weekly wax is more of a touch up which has never ever cause my car to look less shiny. ever.

Quote:
i dont like your sig.... manu was just having a bad day. jk
manu is a very very good team i respect them a lot and fergie is an amazing tactician. but u gotta admit...they were outplayed in every way by barca in the final. lol
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

You're going to have to wetsand that area cause bird shit eats through clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jattditutti View Post
You're going to have to wetsand that area cause bird shit eats through clear coat.
Wet sand?? Just get some scratch x or some other light polish and work it in for a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
Miami
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
Wet sand?? Just get some scratch x or some other light polish and work it in for a few minutes.
+1 he said bird poop not hydrofluoric acid....
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
posite
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Here is how I deal with it:

Leaving bird crap on jet black for more than 5 minutes will cause a noticeable etching in the clear coat... awesome isn't it? As said above, use a QD to soften it then remove it by "pinching" with a microfiber and gently lift the rest of it off without rubbing it into the paint. I usually clay the spot, break out the PC with Meguiars 205 on a Lake Country white pad and spot treat the areas (1-2 passes) then reseal with BFWD. I love jet black but I will never buy it again...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
actually he may have to bust out 2500 grit cause some BMW paints are really soft. bird bombs and tree droppings can etch the clear very quickly. You would be amazed at the damage to my wife’s clear on her E91 after just a few hours with some small bird droppings on it. Paint has JS109 topped with carnauba.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep

ok so i washed the spot with a car wash soap right away. then later that night i washed it with water and car wash soap. i was way too tired to wash the whole car at 11pm.

no now its been two days since i have removed the poop, and the hazy-ness is now more apparent then before. seems like what ever its been done by the poop is getting worse.

so tonight i will do some washing and polishing and waxing and some of the steps above that were recommended.

hopefully it will work.

and yes i will never ever buy another JB paint... but then never say never.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Miami
United_States
Rep

i learned my lesson with JB in my E46...... AW is the easiest of the non metallics to take care of.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #20
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

It happened to me last week.

I tried my usual technique, which is soak a super soft cotton cloth, drag it over the spot with NO pressure and keep use a different area of the cloth for every pass. It's worked perfectly many times but not this time.

Since my car needed washing, I took it to a wash-it-yourself car wash, soaked the spot, flushed it with plenty of water and finished it with spot-free rinse. It floated away after a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #21
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post

+1 he said bird poop not hydrofluoric acid....
Bird excrement is one of the most damaging environmental pollutants as they relate to automobile paint as it comprises; Ammonia and urine as white crystals of uric acid (pH 3.0 - 4.5) a small organic compound, which is produced by the breakdown of protein during digestion, and is excreted by reptiles and birds. Uric acid is also the end product of nitrogen catabolism in birds Ammonia is a mixture of nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas; with moisture as a catalyst it becomes Ammonium Hydroxide, which is caustic.

When you have an acid + moisture +oxygen + ozone all of which equates to a highly concentrated acidic solution, add heat (reactivity) to this equation, and you have the causes of pitting, a concave indentation on the paint surface. Heat and water act as a catalyst (reactivity); a vehicle paint surface temperature of >90.oF creates a very aggressive reactivity of the Alkaline, Uric Acid and Ammonia. This will cause surface etching, so they should be removed without delay. In this case, paint care not only serves aesthetics, but also helps preserve the vehicles
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #22
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
could someone guide me to cleaning bird poops on jet black paint?

left the car out mistakenly for 3 days and poops been on the hood for at least 2 days in sunshine 90 degree weather.

just got home and removed it with water first but already left a stain on the JB paint already.
Identify the type of damage (Type I Surface staining or Type II Surface etching (a concave indentation) A dry concentrate of the acid (a dioxide) is an inert substance until water is added. The UV-A radiation (heat) causes the urethane clear coat to expand allowing contaminates to permeate; the same heat greatly accelerates the corrosive abilities (reactivity) of the acid, for these reasons any acid or alkali should be neutralized (See Acid / Alkali Neutralization)

Verification of the type of surface condition can be diagnosed through the use of a 30X magnifier. Any acid should be removed from the paint surface ASAP; proceed by using the least abrasive products first

Type I is off-white non-transparent ‘clouded’ stain that if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (become non-transparent) this is usually inherent with a light surface stain. Providing it is removed quickly and hasn’t been subjected to reactivity (moisture and heat) this can usually be removed easily, especially if there is a sacrificial coat of wax on the paint
1. Use a chemical paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner) to remove surface stains
2. Use ValuGuard Acid Neutralizer (Step I) - diluted 1:8 neutralizes acids deposited on the paint surface and in the pores of the paint
3. Try to dissolve the surface/etched deposits trying one or more of the following;
a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
4. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner

Type II is an indented mark with paint cracking around its perimeter, this is usually the result of a stain that has been on the surface for a while and has been subjected to reactivity (the addition of moisture and heat), which produces an acid that etches the paint surface
1. Use a chemical paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner) to remove surface stains
2. Use ValuGuard Acid Neutralizer (Step I) - diluted 1:8 neutralizes acids deposited on the paint surface and in the pores of the paint
3. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
4. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish or Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the surface
5. For PPG CeramiClear™ Clear Coat or other hard clear coats substitute Menzerna for machine polish; PO 203 S - Power Finish
6. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
7. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper and polish with a finishing polish
8. Apply a paint protection

Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue, birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface. Once it softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface Do not use on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking

Use a solution of Optimum no-rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle) and allow to react time as this will soften debris and allow it to be removed with

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-08-2011 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0