ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i  [7.00]
What are your TCK D/A settings?!?

Hey everyone!

As the title says, I'm wondering what settings you all run your TCK D/A's when you are on the street, track, and autox. I'm trying to fine tune mine so I want to see how everyone likes to run their suspension. Spring rates and alignment settings would be awesome too if you can share them!
      06-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
Well, I did some searching and found this post by jmillet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
I have 500# front and 600# rear on my TCK DA suspension. The key to a manageable street ride is proper adjustment of rebound and bump. I run two clicks in from full soft on front and rear bump and 1.5 turns in from full soft front and 1 turn from full soft rear for rebound.
For a dry track I run 8 clicks from full soft front and rear bump and one half turn from full firm front rebound and one turn from full firm rebound rear.
I am on 450# front and 500# rear. For street I run a half turn from full soft rebound and I forgot the bump settings. For AutoX I run a half turn from full stiff.

I also found this in case anyone hasn't seen it:

Koni Adjustment Tuning Guide
========================
Suggested Adjustment Procedure For Road Course Use

Adjusting The Bump Damping Control
----------------------------------------------------
Bump damping controls the unsprung weight of the vehicle (wheels, axles, etc.). It controls the upward movement of the suspension as when hitting a bump in the track. It should not be used to control the downward movement of the vehicle when it encounters dips. Also, it should not be used to control roll or bottoming. Depending on the vehicle, the ideal bump setting can occur at any point within the adjustment range. This setting will be reached when "side-hop" or "walking" in a bumpy turn is minimal and the ride is not uncomfortably harsh. At any point other than this ideal setting, the "side-hopping" condition will be more pronounced and the ride may be too harsh.

1: Set all four dampers on minimum bump and minimum rebound settings.

2: Drive one or two laps to get the feel of the car. Note: When driving the car during the bump adjustment phase, disregard body lean or roll and concentrate solely on how the car feels over bumps. Also, try to notice if the car "walks" or "side-hops" on a rough turn.

3: Increase bump adjustment clockwise 3 clicks on all four dampers. Drive the car one or two laps. Repeat step 3 until a point is reached where the car starts to feel hard over bumpy surfaces.

4: Back off the bump adjustment two clicks. The bump control is now set. Note: The back off point will probably be reached sooner on one end of the vehicle than the other. If this occurs, keep increasing the bump on the soft end until it, too, feels hard. Then back it off 2 clicks. The bump control is now set.

Adjusting The Rebound Damping Control
--------------------------------------------------------
Once you have found what you feel to be the best bump setting on all four wheels, you are now ready to proceed with adjusting the rebound. The rebound damping controls the transitional roll (lean) as when entering a turn. It does not limit the total amount of roll; it does limit how fast this total roll angle is achieved. How much the vehicle actually leans is determined by other things such as spring rate, sway bars, roll center heights, etc.

It should be noted that too much rebound on either end of the vehicle will cause an initial loss of lateral acceleration (cornering power) at that end which will cause the vehicle to oversteer or understeer excessively when entering a turn. Too much rebound control in relation to spring rate will cause a condition known as "jacking down". This is a condition where, after hitting a bump and compressing the spring, the damper does not allow the spring to return to a neutral position before the next bump is encountered. This repeats with each subsequent bump until the car is actually lowered onto the bump stops. Contact with the bump stops causes a drastic increase in roll stiffness. If this condition occurs on the front, the car will understeer; if it occurs on the rear, the car will oversteer.

1: With rebound set on full soft and the bump control set from your testing, drive the car one or two laps, paying attention to how the car rolls when entering a turn.

2: Increase rebound damping three sweeps on all four dampers and drive the car one or two laps. Repeat step 2 until the car enters the turns smoothly (no drastic attitude changes) and without leaning excessively. Any increase in the rebound stiffness beyond this point is unnecessary and may in fact be detrimental.

Exception: It may be desirable to have a car that assumes an oversteering or understeering attitude when entering a turn. This preference, of course, will vary from one driver to another depending on individual driving style.
      06-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
rabbit69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4m roadster

Ask erik from tc kline he's got a pdf sheet of the exact specs of what u should set it at for street and track, very useful info. Ijust gave that sheetto a race shop here. They corner balanced it, aligned it and height height adjustment all in the name of pure performance on the track
      06-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
awesome thanks! i'll get in touch with tck
      06-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I only have alignment settings for you for now...
Fronts:
-3* camber
"0" total toe
full positive caster (as much as possible)

Rears:
-2.2* camber
3/16th" toe-in

I believe I have some odd spring rates @ 500# fronts, and 550# rears
Individual settings, I left them the way that the previous owner set them at, because he claimed to have found the best compromise between street and track
Appreciate 0