E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Want to try foam canon, what do I need?

06-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 535I

Want to try foam canon, what do I need?

I was looking into purchasing a pressure washer, preferably electric and at the same time I want to get into using a foam canon. What exactly would I need? I know people talk a lot of smack about the Karcher pressure washers they sell at target but can an electric pressure washer work in conjunction with a foam canon (something like this http://www.autogeek.net/foam-cannon-...FRJ1gwodE1-O8Q) . I am aware of the "gilmore" type of guns and i'm trying to stay away from those. If someone could enlighten me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Bryan
      06-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDEEDUBBX View Post
I was looking into purchasing a pressure washer, preferably electric and at the same time I want to get into using a foam canon. What exactly would I need? I know people talk a lot of smack about the Karcher pressure washers they sell at target but can an electric pressure washer work in conjunction with a foam canon (something like this http://www.autogeek.net/foam-cannon-...FRJ1gwodE1-O8Q) . I am aware of the "gilmore" type of guns and i'm trying to stay away from those. If someone could enlighten me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Bryan
First of all check out this thread about the foam cannon. If this looks good enough for you, then I suggest you forget about the Karcher PW and buy something with a 1/4" Quick disconnect to make it easy to attach the Foam Cannon in the thread above. Something like this from Lowes or Costco had one or ..... Just make sure it has a 1/4" quick disconnect fitting.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for that info that helped out a lot! The greenworks P.W. has some good reviews as well. This is definitely something I would look into. So from that thread this guy achieved this:

from using that $15 foam blaster along with that greenworks P.W.?

Anyone know what the pro's use?
      06-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

I have no idea what kind of PW he is using but I think it might be a commercial gas powered unit from one of his comments. I have a 1700PSI 1.4GPM PowerStroke PW from Costco and it gives me similar results but the foam runs off the car some. I was supposed to wash tonight but never did. I'll try to get some pics of it this weekend when I do wash.

My combo isn't the best foam I have seen but I think it's more the PW then the Foam Cannon. But who know, I could be wrong. When I was looking it was between the Lowe's PW and the Costco unit. Both had the same specs, I liked the Lowe's one better BUT the Costco one was cheaper plus I got the Costco return policy so I got the Costco unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

which costco unit did u get? Was it the 1700psi powerstroke?
      06-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

One thing to take from JC's post is the shampoo. They all foam differently and if you're using an foam lance it's really dependent on the shampoo. I have a cheap PW (1500 psi max) and the Home Depot lance, when I use CG Maxi Suds the foam just clings and stays on the car tons of foam, If i use DG 901(great cheap shampoo) not so much. I leave the PW on max when I use it and I only use the foam lance/PW when the car is really dirty otherwsie I do a 2BM wash as it's easier to get set up and going, plus I like to wash the cars early in the morning so I don't want to annoy the neighbors too much more than I already do.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
which costco unit did u get? Was it the 1700psi powerstroke?
Yeah, I have the PowerStroke 1700PSI 1.4GPM PW from Costco.

Not sure if you follow Bensbargains but I just noticed the Lowe's unit on sale for $119 after coupon with free in store pickup (or $79 shipped). The coupon code it "CLEANGREEN" or check out the Bensbargains here.

EDIT: Scratch that.... it looks like the coupon is now expired.

Last edited by mr_milo; 06-17-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all your help guys! I picked up the greenworks washer from Lowes along with that greenearth g foam blaster. It works great! The PW is strong enough, so strong it actually ripped a small piece of my skin from my arm (I was point blank)lol. So far im loving it but looks like I need a better more frothier soap. I'm currently using this: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Premium_..._p/cws_301.htm

the soap seems to stay on for a few minutes but im looking for something more frothier. Any suggestions?

Last edited by XDEEDUBBX; 06-21-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Thanks for all your help guys! I picked up the greenworks washer from Lowes along with that greenearth g foam blaster. It works great! The PW is strong enough, so strong it actually ripped a small piece of my skin from my arm (I was point blank)lol. So far im loving it but looks like I need a better more frothier soap. I'm currently using this: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Premium_..._p/cws_301.htm

the soap seems to stay on for a few minutes but im looking for something more frothier. Any suggestions?
I would pickup CG MaxiSudsII, that works in my foam gun great
      06-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks snizz. I'll be picking that up tomorrow, CG is literally 5 minutes away from where I live LOL... btw here's a vid I shot today using my new pressure washer on my race car..

06-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

What mix ratio are you using in that video?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #12
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
What mix ratio are you using in that video?
this was my first time trying it so pretty much filled the entire soap container with my CG citrus wash and the for the g foam blaster I turned it all the way on. What would you recommend?
      06-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

A pressure washer's psi rating isn't the whole story. Although it's the pressure that loosens dirt, it's the volume of water flow that washes the loose dirt away. And the amount of foam isn't necessarily the key to getting the paint surfaces clean, it's the constant flow of lubrication that the foam contains, which provides a barrier between the soil and the paint surface, this is also true of a wash concentrate and your mitt.

Gallon per minute (GPM) water flow rate, not its pressure is what affects the aerated solution (foam), which is created via a venturi, the higher the velocity of the water through the lance, the greater the venturi effect, which creates the aerated solution. So flow rate, venturi valve setting will all affect the resultant foam output

The most important functions of a foam cannon/gun is a pre-soak to help remove the dirt and grime, it also provides increased lubricity during the wash phase. The more aeration, the longer it clings to the paint and thus has more dwell time to enable the surfactants to work on surface dirt / grime.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:

ouch ! what did you pay for the washer ?

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Any of the CG soaps witn Maxi Suds should foam well. Do use the correct dilution level to prevent comprimising your lsp and as TOWGT said the thing that controls the foaming is way more depenedent on GPM than PSI. I have almost the same setup and the foam is adequate but not what you'll see from more expensive Pressure washers. I believe the ideal GPM is some where in the 2.5 GPM figure, could be wrong just trying to remember what I've read, and the lower end Lowes/HD etc PW are in the 1.4 -1.8 range. Works for the intent and price as I did not want to drop 300-500 on something I don't use that often. Does your lance have a fixed nozzle or an interchangeable nozzle? Sometimes fiddling with that will help the foaming. Mines a cheapy and fixed but it works satisfactorily for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this was my first time trying it so pretty much filled the entire soap container with my CG citrus wash and the for the g foam blaster I turned it all the way on. What would you recommend?
I think it must be the shampoo. I have basically the same setup as far as ratings and the cannon go. I use about 2oz of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax then fill the rest with HOT water to help mix the shampoo. Usually add a touch of hot water, 2oz of shampoo, about 2oz of hot water and mix. Then top if off with hot water to be exact.

Did you have the hose turn on fully? I found that has effect too. So far for the OTS shampoos I found that Turtle wax ICE worked well even a little better than the Meguiars but I liked the wax effect and beading of the Meguiars better.

P.S. I forgot to get a video last weekend but I'll try to remember this weekend. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

http://www.lowes.com/pd_336396-53393...d|1&facetInfo=

got it from Lowes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N54E92 View Post
ouch ! what did you pay for the washer ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Any of the CG soaps witn Maxi Suds should foam well. Do use the correct dilution level to prevent comprimising your lsp and as TOWGT said the thing that controls the foaming is way more depenedent on GPM than PSI. I have almost the same setup and the foam is adequate but not what you'll see from more expensive Pressure washers. I believe the ideal GPM is some where in the 2.5 GPM figure, could be wrong just trying to remember what I've read, and the lower end Lowes/HD etc PW are in the 1.4 -1.8 range. Works for the intent and price as I did not want to drop 300-500 on something I don't use that often. Does your lance have a fixed nozzle or an interchangeable nozzle? Sometimes fiddling with that will help the foaming. Mines a cheapy and fixed but it works satisfactorily for me.

I'm using the g foam blaster ($15) from home depot. Funny that chemical guys sells this for $50+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
I think it must be the shampoo. I have basically the same setup as far as ratings and the cannon go. I use about 2oz of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax then fill the rest with HOT water to help mix the shampoo. Usually add a touch of hot water, 2oz of shampoo, about 2oz of hot water and mix. Then top if off with hot water to be exact.

Did you have the hose turn on fully? I found that has effect too. So far for the OTS shampoos I found that Turtle wax ICE worked well even a little better than the Meguiars but I liked the wax effect and beading of the Meguiars better.

P.S. I forgot to get a video last weekend but I'll try to remember this weekend. Sorry
i'll try a little bit of hot water but i'm also planning on doing a 50/50 mix using the CG Citrus wash gloss and the maxisuds II. I'll find out tomorrow as I have to detail a new 2012 GTR in the morning (I detail cars on the side).

Last edited by XDEEDUBBX; 06-23-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I bought and tried out the Greenworks foam gun today. I used 100% EagleOne car wash solution. Overall, it worked very well. It foamed very nicely (similar to the pic posted above). My only complaint is that it goes through the solution very quickly. I plan on diluting it next time, but I am thinking it won't foam as well. Anyone else notice this?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #19
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
I bought and tried out the Greenworks foam gun today. I used 100% EagleOne car wash solution. Overall, it worked very well. It foamed very nicely (similar to the pic posted above). My only complaint is that it goes through the solution very quickly. I plan on diluting it next time, but I am thinking it won't foam as well. Anyone else notice this?
i noticed if I turn the lever on the g foam blaster down a little bit obviously more water comes out and is less foamy. I mixed the maxisuds soap with the CG wash and gloss 50/50 and didnt get any better results. So I still don't know what to use to get that shaving cream rich foam.
      06-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

i ended up buying dg901 for my green earth foamer. still waiting on the karcher x series unit to arrive.

seems people are getting great results with it
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

just saw this from the CG facebook page. Looks like their new honeydew snowfoam. I'll stop by this week and buy a small bottle of it. Hopefully mine will come lout like this attached pic
Attached Images

08-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

Quote:
just saw this from the CG facebook page. Looks like their new honeydew snowfoam. I'll stop by this week and buy a small bottle of it. Hopefully mine will come lout like this attached pic
Did it? Part of the problem I think is that the G Clean foamer isn't that good.
Appreciate 0