BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Paleolithic diet works, anybody try it?

06-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Smile Paleolithic diet works, anybody try it?

So I've been a gym rat for a few years now and I've tried different types of workouts, supplements, and different types of "diets" and although I've made gains in the past (in regards to fat loss, strength, and muscle mass) but it hasn't been at the level or rate I hoped for. With that being said, I've recently adopted the paleolithic diet and a 2-on-1-off split body workout and I've never seen my body react so positively (5'9" 175lbs 8% BF- 325 BP, 365 squat). For those of you who aren't aware of the Paleo diet (and may want to switch things up in the gym), the basics of a paleo diet consist of lean meats/fish (protein), nuts (fats/protein), vegatables (carbs), eggs (protein), fruit (carbs)- and absolutely no processed food/candy (i.e. grains like rice, bread, pasta, cereal, cake, ice cream, etc). I deviate from the "diet" in two ways; I drink skim milk every morning as well as a whey protein shake (Gold Standard 100% whey) after my workout each day and I also take Animal Pak multivitamins.

Below is a basic sample structure I've adopted with the mentality of training with high intensity for 35-45 min daily as opposed to 1-2 hrs 3 days per week. I use a reverse pyramid approach; 3 sets of each exercise which goes from 3 reps @ 85% of max to 6-8 reps @ 50% of max. I also switch up the rep range every few weeks. Again, this is a rough sample with a limited amount of exercises which also need to be switched up every few weeks in order to continue muscle growth. I add in high intensity interval sprints for cardio about 2-3 times per week AFTER I lift for about 10-15 min depending on my schedule and if I have time.

Monday: Legs

squats/ db lunges/ weighted calf raise/ leg curls

Tuesday: Chest/Abs

Bench Press/ Rope Crunches/ Incline DB press/ Hanging Leg Lifts/ Cable Flys/ Decline Med ball twists/ Decline bench press

Wednesday: No lifting, 30 min moderate cardio

Thursday: Back

pull ups (vary grip)/ low row/ dead lifts/ pull downs (wide and close grips)

Friday: Shoulders/Traps

DB shoulder press/ shrugs/ lateral raise/ front raise/ arnold db press

Saturday: 30 min moderate cardio

Sunday: Biceps/Triceps

Barbell curl/ skullcrushers/ hammer curl/ dips/ wide grip ez curl/ tricep rope extension

and on and on... remembering to switch things up often, train hard, eat clean, and get 8 hrs sleep. Anyhow, good luck with your fitness goals. Let me know if you adopt the same approach I have and what your results are after 2-3 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

Looks good. I picked up the book and will start reading and eating Paleo. I have friends who have gotten stranger and leaner doing diet and exercise. Hard to cut sugary food but eating healthy is the key.

Workout looks good. Impressive weights btw.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
Looks good. I picked up the book and will start reading and eating Paleo. I have friends who have gotten stranger and leaner doing diet and exercise. Hard to cut sugary food but eating healthy is the key.

Workout looks good. Impressive weights btw.
I feel you man, the hardest part for me in regards to the paleo is no pasta. I love Italian food so it took some getting used to. I was definitely surprised how my body used the carbs from veggies like broccoli more efficiently than say wheat bread or pasta which takes so much longer to digest. But you're right, eating healthy is the key and getting enough sleep is underrated. Good luck with your new plan and fill me in on how it's going for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
niko
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 m3 2011

Wink

I'll give it a try , I need to loose 50# !
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

I've been doing the paleo diet for a few months now. I took me 2 weeks to transition my body with using fat as a energy source instead of heavy carbs. Those 2 weeks saw me fading in and out of work lol. Felt so tired,

But once my body adapted, I had this new found energy and my body stopped "food crashing".

I've since then do paleo from monday-friday and grab a little bit of rice/pastas over the weekend. Asian brotha needs his rice ^_^!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post

But once my body adapted, I had this new found energy and my body stopped "food crashing".
I went through the same thing. I'm a lot less sluggish after meals and much more productive
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
I'll give it a try , I need to loose 50# !
Go for it! Get through those first few weeks and you'll be golden. Good luck!
Appreciate 0