E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Steptronic Launch Help

04-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
BavarianRocket
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, Jet Black

Steptronic Launch Help

Forum members with a steptronic 335i, I have read several launch discription on the step and still am not completel confident in what I am reading.

This is my first step car, was strictly manual before but due to heavy travel and city driving manual is not practical, I have read that some are "torque braking?" up to 2000 rpm then busting it.....? Also DSC off completely or light DTC????

now does that mean that you are holding the brake and the accelerator at the same time???? Remember I am somewhat new to this concept.... Is this hurting the car in any way or just heating the trans fluid as I think one person mentioned....

Sorry for the topic if it is dumb, but i am getting depressed with all of the fuel pump failures Any help would be appreciated, and if you don't want to help because you perceive me as an idiot or a noob just back out of this thread...

Thanks!
      04-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

i'd imagine it'd put a lot of strain on things

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianRocket View Post
Forum members with a steptronic 335i, I have read several launch discription on the step and still am not completel confident in what I am reading.

This is my first step car, was strictly manual before but due to heavy travel and city driving manual is not practical, I have read that some are "torque braking?" up to 2000 rpm then busting it.....? Also DSC off completely or light DTC????

now does that mean that you are holding the brake and the accelerator at the same time???? Remember I am somewhat new to this concept.... Is this hurting the car in any way or just heating the trans fluid as I think one person mentioned....

Sorry for the topic if it is dumb, but i am getting depressed with all of the fuel pump failures Any help would be appreciated, and if you don't want to help because you percieve me as an idiot or a noob just back out of this thread...

Thanks!

they launch by doing just that; braking and revving to 2k at the same time

keep in mind while doing that its like twisting your gearbox drive shaft rear dif ECT with a gigantic wrench, not good for it
      04-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
BavarianRocket
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
they launch by doing just that; braking and revving to 2k at the same time

keep in mind while doing that its like twisting your gearbox drive shaft rear dif ECT with a gigantic wrench, not good for it
yeah that is what I thought.... my highschool buddy used to do brake stands in his 90 HO Trans Am..... probably not good for it....
      04-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

For the second or so you do it, it's not nearly as hard on the drivetrain as doing a clutch dump or "side step" most do in manual trannies.

All you are really doing is loading up the turbos and drivetrain for a split second before launching.
Of course, it's not good to sit there and mash the throttle to the floor while holding on the brake or even holding the brake while giving it part throttle for any length of time.

But putting your left foot on the brake, giving the car a bit of gas to bring the revs up to 1600-1000 rpms then a second later releasing the brake as you quickly push the throttle to the floor will give you a strong launch and do little harm to your drivetrain.
But like "abuse" to a car, it's not something you want to do everyday and expect your tranny to last 100K miles.
Appreciate 0