E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > letherette care - super dirty, need 'pre-cleaning' advice

06-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

letherette care - super dirty, need 'pre-cleaning' advice

so i browsed the forum and i know i need to use leatherique to clean and condition my letherette which i plan to order as soon as eshine.ca has them instock, but my tan interior is disgustingly dirty and i was hoping someone new another product to use to do a pre-clean before i use leatherique

i know most people say warm water and a bit of soap, but these seats are very dirty and i tried that and while it did clean a bit, it didn't do much. i need something that will really clean the crap outta them

also since i'm asking, i read that u need to let leatherique sit for 24 hours, does it have to be in the sun or can it be in my underground condo parking spot? cuz if it has to be hot/warm then that might pose a problem

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Leatherette is not leather, I do not believe we need to use leatherique, do not use 303 on them, they start squeaking.

Just your plain car wash soap and water in a wash bucket with a microfiber towel.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glim View Post
Leatherette is not leather, I do not believe we need to use leatherique, do not use 303 on them, they start squeaking.

Just your plain car wash soap and water in a wash bucket with a microfiber towel.
i know its not leather, its vinyl, but i read multiple posts that said to use the same products for leather on leatherette. I actually have a crack on one of my seats which suprised me because i thought the only benefit of letherette over actual leather was that it didn't crack, guess not.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
FrankE90xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2007 BMW 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328 xi  [8.40]
cracking

it shouldnt crack its a vinyl that is supposed to last way longer then real leather and to clean it i use leather and vinyl cleaner from any auto parts store it works great for me i think the brand is bluemagic
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

My my my... someone that has done their research and creates a good topic to get answers to the questions they have that remain. I wish everyone was like you

Keep in mind that while you might not have actual leather seats, you can use leather care products on vinyl, but never vinyl products on leather. Leatherique will be a great way to care for your seats.

In the mean time, dilute Woolite or another softer cleaner (15:1) and use a small stiff brush to gently agitate. I think you'll find a big improvement. Take into account that it's taken months for your seats to get nasty, so a 5 minute cleaning will simply not do. Expect to spend a good 20-30 minutes on the driver's seat alone as it should be the worst by far. Work small sections at a time and wipe the residue with a clean cloth after thorough agitation.
Do this, and I think you'll find some surprising results.

Happy Detailing!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
In the mean time, dilute Woolite or another softer cleaner (15:1) and use a small stiff brush to gently agitate. I think you'll find a big improvement. Happy
cool thanks, will try the woolite while i wait for my leatherique to arrive
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
DLE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328XI

Go to a shoe repair store local to you and purchase a horse hair brush and use it to scrub as your cleaning your seats. I did this and it helped me out a ton. Especially since the brush can scrub out the debris in between the cracks and crevices.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 (his) 2011 e90 (hers)

I take the brush attachment off my Hoover vacuum to agitate my seats with some all purpose cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLE View Post
Go to a shoe repair store local to you and purchase a horse hair brush and use it to scrub as your cleaning your seats. I did this and it helped me out a ton. Especially since the brush can scrub out the debris in between the cracks and crevices.
awesome suggestion, i was thinking of what brush i could use and was worried most brushes would be too abrasive

thanks
Appreciate 0