E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Safe to "Clay" without polishing

06-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Safe to "Clay" without polishing

Hi All,

My car's about a year old. I'm getting ready to polish with Klasse All-In-One and then add a new layer of P21S Wax.

Prior to the polish and wax, I am thinking of using some clay. I bought the Dodo Juice Lube and some fine Sonus extra-fine clay.

Questions:

1. Will the extra fine clay be ok if I only polish with Klasse AIO, a chemical cleaner? Or, should I instead use an abrasive polish?

2. I've never used clay before. How many bars (3oz) should I expect to use?

Thanks!

Last edited by roundle; 06-29-2011 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Dodo, Not Dino
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
1 bar should be enough just make sure you seal or wax after/
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

whats up with people calling it "dino" juice lately? did the company name change?

and yeah one bar should be enough...just fold and use a newer fresher side once the current one gets a lil contaminated.
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input. Good to know that 1 bar will be enough--that's all I ordered...

Anyone up for my first question:

1. Will the extra fine clay be ok if I only polish with Klasse AIO, a chemical cleaner? Or, should I instead use an abrasive polish?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
Anyone up for my first question:

IMO it should be fine provided you use a lot of clay lube (which you should do anyway). But you can always inspect with halogens or bright sunlight. FWIW, I always machine polish after claying, with at least a light polish. I mean, you only do it a couple times a year, so I figure why not go the whole 9 yards (that's an American saying, BTW... I see you're Dutch!).
      06-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

One normal sized, 100 gram, basr should be enough to do @4 cars. I break the bar into quarters and heat slightly in microwave or the sun (covered in a closed baggy if outside in sun), and then use that piece. How will you be applying the AIO, by machine on a white pad gives it a bit of a cut so it will clean up some minor marring. Topped with the wax you're good for a couple of months.
What are you trying to polish out IE defects or is it just a clean up detail?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
One normal sized, 100 gram, basr should be enough to do @4 cars. I break the bar into quarters and heat slightly in microwave or the sun (covered in a closed baggy if outside in sun), and then use that piece. How will you be applying the AIO, by machine on a white pad gives it a bit of a cut so it will clean up some minor marring. Topped with the wax you're good for a couple of months.
What are you trying to polish out IE defects or is it just a clean up detail?
This is helpful. I'll break the bar in to four. As I'll likely drop at least one of the quarters, I'll have back up clay.

I'll apply everything by hand. As I don't have defects, this is just a clean-up. There are some bugs, tar, water spots, etc.

So long as the extra-fine clay, with heaps of lube, does not cause any marring, I suppose I'll be good to go. I'll test a section first...

Thanks all!

Also, while I'm in Holland, I'm 'Merican!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Not sure how much correction you'll get applying anything by hand but with that said; Yes go easy on the clay with adequate lube and apply the AIO very thin. It's a really good cleaner/one step but really likes to be applied thin. If you think you're putting too little on it's probably enough. I've read that 1 oz can do an entire car so a few drops on a primed pad. HGSG, their sealant portion of the Klasse twins, can be a bitch to get off if you put on too heavy. AIO is great on wheels and glass as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
You can clay w/o polishing. Clay removes contaminents from the surface, and is usually done as a preface to polishing, but if you don't have paint that needs correction, just apply the AIO.

I don't think anyone said this yet -- if you drop the clay bar, it's toasted! (a good reason to split it, as suggested.) At a minimum, cut away the part that came into contact with the ground.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

If you're truly worried about clay marring (which is a VERY realistic thing to be worried about), keep in mind that clay marring is usually very very light though unsightly. A product you may want to consider picking up for use after clay is something like Dodo Juice's Lime Prime which contains micro abrasives. It's made to be a pre-wax cleanser, has very light polishing ability, and leaves the surface much smoother which helps the application of wax afterwards.

All-in-all, part of learning is going out and experimenting. Clay your car and then use the KAIO on it and you should be able to tell how she's doing. All of us online are a great resource when you get stuck, but you obviously have been doing some nice research on your own and I'm confident you'll get some outstanding results!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

im a little different, I never clay without polishing by machine, and I never polish without claying first!!!
Appreciate 0