E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Did I forget any supplies?

06-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

Did I forget any supplies?

This was my cart from DI

http://www.detailedimage.com/Cart-Saved/378816344/

I wanted to know if you guys thought I forgot anything, my friend and I are trying to start a small detailing business over the summer and this is the stuff we got.I still need to get two five gallon buckets and some spray bottles so don't tell me that I forgot that.

Also I was wondering if the AIO Poli-Seal was a good choice considering we don't have a DA polisher. And has anyone tried the Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner, I was wondering how well they work. Also I need an exterior dressing for plastics, tires and wheel wells. Please give me suggestions but keep in mind we don't have too much money, we are only 17 and 16 years old.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Grit guards for the buckets, might need more towels. I use at least a dozen on my car at a time.
The lexol you can get OTC if you need to save some money and substitute the grit guards.
I use the 303 Aerospace on exterior plastics unless they are faded than PB Trim Restorer.
One question why both ONR and a traditional shampoo? Are you doing traditional washes(2BM) or ONR washes or both. I would honestly only do one type of wash and save the cost for, again the grit guards and more towels.
I get my buckets at the local donut store, 3 gallons ones a dollar a piece, the grit guards fit perfectly and the handles are quite strong.
Trying to save you a bit of cash to use towards things since you are on a budget.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Grit guards for the buckets, might need more towels. I use at least a dozen on my car at a time.
The lexol you can get OTC if you need to save some money and substitute the grit guards.
I use the 303 Aerospace on exterior plastics unless they are faded than PB Trim Restorer.
One question why both ONR and a traditional shampoo? Are you doing traditional washes(2BM) or ONR washes or both. I would honestly only do one type of wash and save the cost for, again the grit guards and more towels.
I get my buckets at the local donut store, 3 gallons ones a dollar a piece, the grit guards fit perfectly and the handles are quite strong.
Trying to save you a bit of cash to use towards things since you are on a budget.
The ONR is free for the week. And I was going to get 5 gallon bucket from here - http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3220&catid=752
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Cool. I use their 4 oz bottles. You still need grit guards and more MF towels if you intend to do more than one car a day and wash towels after every time.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Cool. I use their 4 oz bottles. You still need grit guards and more MF towels if you intend to do more than one car a day and wash towels after every time.
I think we will only do one car a day though, can you recommend an all around exterior dressing, 303 is expensive. Like something thats ok for plastic, wheel wells, and tires. And do these spray bottles look ok

-http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22899&catid=471

and are grit guards needed? Also what do you think of that blue grout sponge instead of a mitt?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

I understand that you are trying to save money, but starting a business with what you have right now is not a good idea! You need to spend about $500+ to get everything together!

for your dressings - tires, wheel wells, trim, you can use meguias hyper dressing at different dilution ratios.

Towels, bobble is correct, you need about 8-10 drying towels, 20-30 all purpose towels, a few glass towels.

If you are not using a machine, I would skip the poliseal and just pick up some nattys blue paste wax and a hand applicator pad.

what about window cleaner? Dont see that one listed either.

Things you will need, and can double up uses on, some you have, some you dont, but here is my limited list

APC, car wash shampoo, window cleaner, tire dressing, quick detailer, drying towels, MF towels, trim detailer, metal polish, hand applicators, buckets, grit guard, wheel brushes for faces inners lugs, clay bar, clay lube, wax with applicator, extension cords, lights,

interior - APC, UV protectant, leather cleaner, leather conditioner, scrub brushes for carpet and leather, carpet cleaner like folex

polishing - pcxp, pads, light polishes, paintwork cleanser, sealant wax. Being so young and seemingly inexperienced, I would stay away from anything having to do with compounding until you gain experience and knowledge. Just do light polishing work if any at all with something like menzerna 106 and a black pad to boost the gloss.

There is more to it, but that is just the basics...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

oh yeah, just get a couple 3.5 gallon buckets from home depot or your local hardware store for like 3-4 bucks. also, the home depot grout sponge is a great wash media. I have a client who has been using it for a couple years now...his car barely needs a light polishing. Grit guards will help keep the dirt at the bottom of the bucket instead of floating to the top where you can put it back on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Realistically you won't be able to do much in terms of "correction" on the paint with out a machine. So you may need to better define what you are looking to accomplish and what your customer base is likely to look like. Assuming you are looking to do mostly "regular" cars for "normal" people (think soccer moms and minivans) then you could probably get away with megs cleaner wax (works ok but dusts like mad), lexol, Costco micro fibers, megs deep crystal wash (it really isn't so bad), two home depot buckets, a decent auto zone wash mitt and go for it. These consumer grade products are cheap, provide decent results when properly applied by hand, and you can use them until you save up enough for the good stuff. Keep in mind thouh your market at all times and charge a fair price for what they are getting.

Last edited by Brian_TII; 07-06-2011 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0