E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i At Buttonwillow Raceway...Oil Temp?

04-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

335i At Buttonwillow Raceway...Oil Temp?

I attended a Central California BMW CCA Driver's School at Buttonwillow Raceway in lovely Buttonwillow, CA. The ambient temperature was 82 degrees.

One of the instructors has a new 335i sedan which saw a considerable amount of track time. The only mod was the Split Second Engineering module as sold by Eurobahn. The oil temperature never exceeded 250 degrees all day.

I will also note this...even on RFT's, that car was wicked fast!!! It was being driven by a remarkable driver, and outstanding instructor, Klaus Kindor. I was having little trouble that day keeping up with the other instructors in their various generations of M3's, but this 335i just walked away from me as if I had suddenly sprung an anchor.

Anybody who claims the 335i is not suitable for the track should spend a few laps with Klaus...What an amazing car!! I can hardly wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
I attended a Central California BMW CCA Driver's School at Buttonwillow Raceway in lovely Buttonwillow, CA. The ambient temperature was 82 degrees.

One of the instructors has a new 335i sedan which saw a considerable amount of track time. The only mod was the Split Second Engineering module as sold by Eurobahn. The oil temperature never exceeded 250 degrees all day.

I will also note this...even on RFT's, that car was wicked fast!!! It was being driven by a remarkable driver, and outstanding instructor, Klaus Kindor. I was having little trouble that day keeping up with the other instructors in their various generations of M3's, but this 335i just walked away from me as if I had suddenly sprung an anchor.

Anybody who claims the 335i is not suitable for the track should spend a few laps with Klaus...What an amazing car!! I can hardly wait!

Hahah Klaus is the man. he sold me my 335i. Real down to earth guy.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I wonder why they don't use the PROcede... they must think the Eurobahn Turbo Tuner is better suited for this... maybe because of its ease of install.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I wonder why they don't use the PROcede... they must think the Eurobahn Turbo Tuner is better suited for this... maybe because of its ease of install.
If I understood correctly, Klaus is friends with the folks at Split Second. He claims that the car has been great since installing the product and has NEVER seen more than 250 degrees oil temp...You can't really argue with the ease of install either.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
shnapper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState View Post
He apparently has the air/oil cooler...
I agree, interested to hear if it's a manual or step, cooler or no cooler?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you used any logic, it becomes obvious that he happened to have a car with the oil cooler.

The early step 335i's have no cooler. That's what is causing them to overheat!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
How did the 335i compete with the other M3s on the track?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Isn't an Oil Cooler a nice thing.....

Wished I had one......

Guess a little research would have been good before posting that ALL 335i are fine for the track.

I won't be at Willow in June or Cal Speedway in Oct unless they retro fit an Oil Cooler in mine.....

Mine hits 3hundy after a 10 min canyon run...... pathetic.......
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep

Here somebody posts a story about a 335i doing well at a track day, an actual POSITIVE post, and people still find reasons to gripe.

kujo - I have done plenty of research. The car was a stick, so I also know that it had an oil cooler. And kujo, I never said that ALL 335i's were fine on the track. What I said is that for people who say the 335i is not suitable for the track, they should spend some time in the car with Klaus. People gripe about the 335i as a track car for being too heavy, having dead steering, etc...My comment was directed toward them. Perhaps it should have been more clear.

Please go to the October Cal Speedway!! It should be a really fun event. Hopefully my 335i will be back from ED by then so I can take it. I also probably will not attend the June school at WSIR...who wants to be in the desert in June??? But I do plan to attend a Driving Concepts school at Ca Speedway in May which you might want to consider.

Most stock cars are not suitable track cars off the shelf. For example, my 07 Civic Si has brakes that are only good for 5 minutes on track. To prepare for my track day yesterday, I changed pads, rotors, fluid and wrapped the brake lines in heat reflective tape. Sometimes we need to do some prep on our cars to make them track ready. Granted the 335i is 2 1/2 times as expensive as the Civic and may be the first BMW in history that is not track ready from the git go. But if you really want to do a track day with your car, which otherwise should be phenominal on the track, you might want to consider adding an oil cooler yourself. That is not a comment on whether or not BMW should retrofit, or whether or not it should have been there all along. Clearly BMW made a mistake and should make it right.

sstarch - I didn't see how it was doing because I couldn't keep up with it. All I can do is to compare my experiences...In the Civic Si I was driving, I passed an e46 M3 Track Package (what a gorgeous car that was), and kept up with an instructor in an e30 M3, and caught an instructor in an e36 M3. A beautiful grey e46 on r-comps and coilovers demolished me, as did a supercharged e36 M3. Klaus in the 335i walked away from me as if I had stopped. Extrapolating from there, I speculate that he was faster than some of the M3's but maybe not as fast as some of the others. Frankly I suspect much of that has to do with the driver. The guy is amazing!

And to all of you without oil coolers who want BMW to retrofit your cars...you're welcome for some evidence supporting your argument in favor of the retrofit!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #10
kujo
Major
Rep

Then I guess the post should have been more pin point.....
You mentioned Oil Temps......All the hooplah is about 335i with NO oil cooler.
His obviously has one..... No one was complaing about cars with them.

So, Oil Temp shouldn't have been mentioned if it was just about heavy cars and dead steering......

I love my 335i and I spend alot of time on tracks, in cars and Karts.
I can't wait to have my LSD in the car, in about 4 weeks and then flog the hell out of her on a track......

"Anybody who claims the 335i is not suitable for the track should spend a few laps with Klaus...What an amazing car!! I can hardly wait!"

Should have said, MT coupes........

Anyway, I'll go to CA Speedway for sure.
If I don't have an Oil Cooler in by then..... I'll just let the car Blow Up and go buy an AMG or Pcar....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post
Then I guess the post should have been more pin point.....

Anyway, I'll go to CA Speedway for sure.
If I don't have an Oil Cooler in by then..... I'll just let the car Blow Up and go buy an AMG or Pcar....
Yup, it should have been. I think it was important for those of you trying to get BMW CCA to retrofit coolers to have some evidence that they make an actual difference so I tried to provide it. This car was driven seriously hard and never had a temperature issue. So here is some proof that the cooler makes a difference. It makes a stronger argument in my opinion.

And be careful with those P cars...I saw a 997 grenade a motor at a recent track day at Buttonwillow. And this past Friday I was not that impressed with the Cayman S...it got seriously spanked by a Civic...

Seriously though, I look forward to meeting you there! It will be my first outing with my 335i (hopefully) and I look forward to getting advice from people with more experience with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
kujo
Major
Rep

they know it makes a differnce, hence ALL 335s get them now !!!!!!!!!!!!

why do that if there isn't a problem?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Quote:

Klaus is a killer driver. He has given Split Second great feedback.

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState View Post
You mean BMW NA...
Yes I do. Sorry...I have CCA on the brain after my track day!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:

And this past Friday I was not that impressed with the Cayman S...it got seriously spanked by a Civic...
Uh.... I would imagine the driver had more to do with that one. Just like me passing all kinds of E36 M3's in my 318is (91) at sears and laguna years ago. The drivers were not as experienced as I was. Driver makes up for car in a big way when you get on a road course.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Uh.... I would imagine the driver had more to do with that one. Just like me passing all kinds of E36 M3's in my 318is (91) at sears and laguna years ago. The drivers were not as experienced as I was. Driver makes up for car in a big way when you get on a road course.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #17
kujo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
+2
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 02:25 AM   #18
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

I had the same experience with my Civic Si's brakes at Laguna Seca. they lasted 1 lap before melting. I was impressed with everything else about it (for a $20k FWD car) but, c'mon, those brakes SUCK!

BTW, I just sold it and ordered (via Euro delivery) a 335i MT!! Glad to hear it is happy at the track!