E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Water / Methanol Injection for the 335i ?

04-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Water / Methanol Injection for the 335i ?

Hi everybody

Before I ordered the e93 335i, I purchased a "Snowperformance" water / methanol injection system for my current X5. Would you use such a system on a 335i or just better sell it on e-bay ? Shiv has experience with such systems on other car's, so I hope he also will share his thoughts with the forum.

The system can be configured more "conservative" to avoid high EGT's or more "aggressive" for overall higher performance gains. If at all, I would use the system in combination with the PROcede.

I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers
Eugen

Last edited by e.n335; 04-08-2007 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

It should work really well together, you'll just want to change the base PROcede map for more timing or more boost.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
e.n335
Austria
Rep

My very first concern is corrosion. Aluminium ( intake & cyl. head ) is not corrosion-resistant, especially in conjunction with methanol. The water/methanol mixture ( usually 50:50 ) has to be sprayed into the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Shouldn't be an issue, I've done it on Corvettes (plastic intake, alum heads) with no issue. It only comes on for short periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

What happens with warranty? My guess is there is no way to hide it?

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Well if you mod the car you should own up to any problems, but you just remove it. The only hard part to hide is the hose/pipe before the TB that you wind up putting a small hole in. You could probably order a stock one and then switch it back as needed. An alky kit is basically only a water pump, hobbs switch, and nozzle. You can tee in to the wiper fluid res to store the alky/water mix.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

Eugene,

I opened a topic just about Alcohol and Shiv responded me saying that he woruln't offer any type of tunning for BMW on alcohol/mathanol.

I have been using alcohol on the last few turbo cars I had with great sucess, in fact you can click on the link I have on my signature and see my alcohol setup.

I think we should attemp incorporating the alcohol on the 335i. As far is the usage on your X5, you wouldn't see much of a gain on a NA car.

By the way, this is the link I opened back a couple of months ago:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49917

my .2c

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Thank you for feedback. At least, I will not sell the water/meth. kit. It will be worth a try how the 335i behaves. Every IAT drop of 10 degree celsius will offer 3% more healthy power without any additional modifications like more timing or more boost. A 20-30 degree celsius IAT temp. drop is very realistic and will lower the EGT's too. If you do it right, the kit is completely removable.

Have a look @ www.snowperformance.net

But nothing should corrode! Anybody really knows?

Cheers
Eugen

now turbo-infected

Last edited by e.n335; 04-09-2007 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Thank you for feedback. At least, I will not sell the water/meth. kit. It will be worth a try how the 335i behaves. Every IAT drop of 10 degree celsius will offer 3% more healthy power without any additional modifications like more timing or more boost. A 20-30 degree celsius IAT temp. drop is very realistic and will lower the EGT's too. If you do it right, the kit is completely removable.

Have a look @ www.snowperformance.net
Eugene,

But nothing should corrode! Anybody really knows?

Cheers
Eugen

now turbo-infected
Typically the gains with the alcohol/water kit are found more on the torque department than on the hp department. I typically extracted an average of 60-70wheel lb/tq with the addition of tuning and the methanol kit on my stock turbo cars (Evo and Eclipse GSX). On my last dyno , I specifically picked 21whp and 64lb/tq on a Mustang Dyno to all 4 wheels on 91oct, this translates into well over 100lb/tq to the crank.

For that same reason I believe the BMW 335 I is a firm candidate to gain tremendous additional torque from its displacement and above all, it would allow you to squeeze even more boost safely from the stock turbos without reading a high EGT.

There is no doubt the alcohol/methnol/water kit offers great benefits but it must be a very conceal kit otherwise I doub the BMW dealer will ever touch your car again warranty wise.

It is a big compromise, either you dismantled every time you takle your car to the dealer or face the blame from them. However, I already thought of a compact kit that could be installed on the engine compartment and could use a a nozzle installed after the stock bov pipe, in fact replacing the stock BOV pipe for one that you can drill a whole and use it for a nozzle.

There is a lot of hope, we just need to work it out on detail.

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #10
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post

Typically the gains with the alcohol/water kit are found more on the torque department than on the hp department. I typically extracted an average of 60-70wheel lb/tq with the addition of tuning and the methanol kit on my stock turbo cars (Evo and Eclipse GSX). On my last dyno , I specifically picked 21whp and 64lb/tq on a Mustang Dyno to all 4 wheels on 91oct, this translates into well over 100lb/tq to the crank.

For that same reason I believe the BMW 335 I is a firm candidate to gain tremendous additional torque from its displacement and above all, it would allow you to squeeze even more boost safely from the stock turbos without reading a high EGT.

There is no doubt the alcohol/methnol/water kit offers great benefits but it must be a very conceal kit otherwise I doub the BMW dealer will ever touch your car again warranty wise.

It is a big compromise, either you dismantled every time you takle your car to the dealer or face the blame from them. However, I already thought of a compact kit that could be installed on the engine compartment and could use a a nozzle installed after the stock bov pipe, in fact replacing the stock BOV pipe for one that you can drill a whole and use it for a nozzle.

There is a lot of hope, we just need to work it out on detail.

Carlos
Well said Carlos.

By the way...you're not planning on going the alky way with the 335, right?
Appreciate 0