2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Winter Tyres

07-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
MP2806
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport

Winter Tyres

Did anyone buy the dealer winter tyre / rims package for their F10 last year and were they worth the expense ?

Had an E92 coupe last winter which on 19"s was totally undrivable and don't really want to go through that again.

Would need to place an order c. end Aug I guess as I read BMW ran out last year.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

I intend putting Winters on this year, I looked at the BMW sets and found them a little expensive .... the route I have gone down (which I have succesfully done in the past with my Volvos) is ........

I have bought a set of BMW 18" Alloys with summer tyres from a BMW main dealer (that were removed on delivery) via ebay for under £1k .... this gives me my next set of summer tyres and a spare set of alloys for the cost of a set of tyres, so the alloys end up at almost £0 cost.

Then just put the winter tyres of your choice on the new alloys ! .....

A bit of outlay but a very good saving overall !

Also I used these last year http://www.konig.it/Products/Snow%20.../K-Summit.aspx ..... brilliant device, easy to fit and very effective, you can buy them badged as 'Thule' but it adds about £20 per pair.

Cheers

M
      09-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

Just posted this on another thread on winter tyres:

The BMW dealers offer to store your summer tyres and wheels during the winter, but if you've got room somewhere to store them yourself it may be cheaper to just buy the tyres alone, you probably don't need to go lower than 18" wheels on a 5er (the UK winter conditions aren't so bad to need narrow tyres on small wheels) but if you're current wheels are bigger you may not be able to get a winter tyre that fits on them so you'll have to get some wheels anyway and the dealer may be the best route for this.

I work in the tyre business and this year the trade has bought/ordered a lot more winter tyres than ever before having been caught out for the last couple of years with bad winters, but it's still a good idea to be sorting them out during September/October - once the average temp drops below 7 degrees C, winter tyres give better grip irrelevant of whether there's any snow.

If you let me know what tyres you're on now I give you some winter size options.

(edit - see separate thread on this topic with all options available)

Last edited by kn1; 09-07-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0