BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
built240
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 m6

Really want this M6 but having warranty problems? Advice?

So ive got my heart set on this 06 M6 with 40k miles for $39k. Seems like a great deal. The guy has an aftermarket extended full coverage warranty which is good until 07/15 or until the car hits 70k miles. Its at 40k miles now so thats only 30k miles till its gone. Its $4000 thats not even a maintaince warranty just a powertrain with full coverage. Does that sound worth it? I mean part of me says yes b/c if that SMS tranny goes thats 10grand right there.

So then i call BMW to get a quote. they offer a 3yr 36k powertrain for the same price of $4k but she said for example "say the motor blows, we cover most of it but you may have to buy some nuts and bolts around the motor" now that seemed kinda vague to me. Its a standard 3y 36k powertrain bmw warranty so i'd presume it would cover most major problems aside from air conditioning and heating which she said it wouldnt. But get this, if i want a maintaince warranty a 2yr/24k maintaince warranty is $3600. She tells me breaks alone are $2k for that car. Im thinking maybe thats bmw costs but are breaks really that much? I was thinking I could always go aftermarket for around $700? What are your thoughts guys? I plan to dive the car maybe 10k miles per year at most. Most my driving is within the city where i live and i dont plan on racing the car. Im just not so sure on dishing out $4k for a powertrain and almost another $4k for maintaince. thats almost 8grand for barely 2-3yrs of coverage.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
cvp911t
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe, 05 M3 ZCP

I had an 06 M6 for awhile...great car. You'll get spoiled by the V10.

I also had the same quandry re: warranty. I'm not sure the powertrain warranty is worth it, because the motor and tranny mechanicals are pretty bulletproof. It's the surrounding pieces that usually go bad.

For example, a powertrain warranty will cover the tranny, but unless they specifically tell you they'll cover SMG pump (which usually is what goes bad), you'd be paying for the repair anyway.

So if you're going to buy a warranty, get one from a reputable company (EasyCare or Zurich are great alternatives to the dealer), and get a comprehensive one, not just a powertrain. It will cost more, but the risk is too high not to have one on an 06.

One more thing - if you're considering buying the warranty, then I would look at buying an 08+ - supposedly, the SMG issues were fixed, the other kinks were worked out, it has the updated head/tail lights...might be worth your while to get the newer car.

I'd forego the maintenance warranty, especially if you won't be driving much. You won't get aftermarket brakes for $700...stay with stock (they work great, without squeaks, etc.) As long as you go in with the right expectations (poor mpg, expensive tires/brakes, electronics laden, and resale drop), you'll absolutely love this car. I miss mine.

Good luck!

Lance
Appreciate 0