E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about selling car

07-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Dvdman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 and 2007 M6

Question about selling car

Going thru some financial difficulties and might have to sell my car (hopefully not). Anyway I owe a balance of $18k and 3 years(Im just ballparking). Can I sell my car to an individual or do I have to sell it to a dealer? Id rather sell it to someone feeling I might get a little more $. Anyone do this in the past? Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

of course u can sell to an individual...? put it up for sale what do you mean........... on here... cars.com, auto trader, craigslist etc.....ive sold 5 of my cars privately... its not bad

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Im trying to sell my 325 right now. Im hopefully going to sell it private party but me having no experience doing this may just give it to carmax so I dont have to worry about meeting strangers.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

You can sell it to whoever you want, It's a bit of a PITA for the buyer though
They / you have to pay the lein holder to get the lein released so they can then title register it in their name.
Hope things get better
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
CooperNewmann
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sports Wagon

If you have one nearby, check out CarMax.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I've sold a couple of cars and a bike via craigslist. A few things that I did in the process:
Do not give your home address to strangers. (nothing new I hope)
Meet at a location where there are people around..target, walmart, strip mall etc.
TAKE a friend with you
If going the craigslist route you will get alot of low ballers, scam artists etc. Get their # and speak with them to get a feel before agreeing to meet.
Also do not feel obligated that every buyer needs to drive the car. If you can sense they are not serious about the car then just give them a ride. (hopefully weeding out folks via phone conversations should leave serious buyers only)
Good luck with the sale!
      07-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Fatty Duckets
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldasicex5 View Post
I sold my last car on craigs list.. gone within a week. Make sure you do full details, pics, and talk to the person a little before u meet up with them, and if you're not comfortable, bring a friend/family member with you
I am trying to sell my car on Craigslist too and I get emails from people that are interested but I have a hard time figuring out what is bs and what is not. What strategy did you use in order to find someone legitimate? Before I even respond to questions about my car, I reply back with my cell number.

Thanks,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

As for the financial part I can't help you. But must be doable in the Us as well.

As for actually showing my cars, I usually let them come to my house where security isn't a big concern. Haven't had any problems selling my previous cars, and you do make some money selling to private parties.

Usually, but not always, serious buyers call. It's pretty easy to have an educated guess is someone is serious when you talk to them.

I love it when people travel distances to see my cars for sale. They are ready to take it for the listed price, or with small cuts on the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Duckets View Post
I am trying to sell my car on Craigslist too and I get emails from people that are interested but I have a hard time figuring out what is bs and what is not. What strategy did you use in order to find someone legitimate? Before I even respond to questions about my car, I reply back with my cell number.

Thanks,

Chris
Craigslist can be a pain in the ass but recently I saw an ad that required you put " red bmw 330" or something like that in the subject line, so I tried that with one of my motorcycles and one of my cars that I sold recently.
I would only answer ads that had that in line in the subject and it cut out 75% of the scammers and phishing schemes. a lot of the responses you get are bot generated looking for your email addy or profesional scammers trying to use palpal scams or certified check.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I sold my car here. Craigslist was a big hit too. make sure to post several ads in different areas. had cars.com ad but got not calls from that. also carsforsale.com is free, but watch out for spam.

take good pictures and don't use Craigslist built-in service for photos, post htlm code to image link. Craigslist are very low resolution
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
etc335i
Trainee
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: BUS PASS

Meet in a police station if you don't want to risk anything going bad....... Seriously
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The best way to do this is to get the exact payoff of the car from the bank. When you sell the car create a bill of sale, have the buyer write a check to the bank for the payoff and a seperate check (cashiers checks) to you for the difference. That way they can be assured that they will get the title and you will not be stuck in the middle. If they finance through a bank the bank will do it this way anyway. There is no reason you need to go through a dealer to sell a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Dvdman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 and 2007 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The best way to do this is to get the exact payoff of the car from the bank. When you sell the car create a bill of sale, have the buyer write a check to the bank for the payoff and a seperate check (cashiers checks) to you for the difference. That way they can be assured that they will get the title and you will not be stuck in the middle. If they finance through a bank the bank will do it this way anyway. There is no reason you need to go through a dealer to sell a car.
Thats what I was looking for. I thought there must be away but wasnt sure. The last car I had got paid off before I sold it. Its 50/50 about keeping the car. Thanks all....
Appreciate 0