E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The Official USB-Serial Conversion for PROcede

04-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
The Official USB-Serial Conversion for PROcede

I finally upgraded to a modern laptop. One that doesn't have a 9 pin serial port to plug directly into the serial port in the PROcede. Instead, it has a bunch of USB ports. This means I had to use a USB-Serial adapter to get communication between my PROcede and laptop computer. And so will you

Here's what you do:

1) Go to Radio Shack. Buy one of these:

It will cost $35. You can get other kinds of usb-serial adapter cheaper (from Best Buy, Circuit City, etc,.) But I assume that everyone has a Radio Shack near them. They are usually next to Baskin Robins.

2) The Radio Shack adapter comes with a CD rom containing the software driver you will need. Put it in your laptop's CD rom drive. Plug the USB end of the adapter into your laptop. Your computer will prompt you for the drivers. And it will find it in the CD. It will eventually say that the installation process is done. Yea!

3) Go to "My Computer" on your desktop. Right click on it. Select "Manage". Go to Device Manager. Scroll down to "Ports". Double click on it. You should now see the "Radio Shack USB-Serial Converter" listed. It should say (COM4) next to it.

4) Open up the PRocede software (PROcede Reader v1.0). It will look like this:

Notice that is says "Procede offline" at the bottom of the screen. This is because there is no communication between your laptop and your PROcede yet. We'll fix that now. Go to the "Comms" tab on the menu and select "Comms Setup." Select Comm 4. Now it will look like this:

5) Now start your car so that your engine is running. Go to the "Comms" menu again and select "Go Online/Offline." Now you should see at the bottom of the screen, it count from 0-100% over 2-3 seconds. Then it should say "Procede Online". Confirm this by looking at the RPM gauge in the software. It should read correctly. Now you can upload new maps, save the map that is currently in your PROcede, monitor boost/rpm/corrections/etc,., and datalog to your heart's content. :rocks: :rocks:

These step-by-step instructions are also posted on our PROcede support forum at:
http://216.120.252.228/forum/index.php?styleid=5

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
gashero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i A22 sedan streptronic

Shiv, when updating my v1.4, I did not have to turn the car on and was able to go online once the cable is connected with the car off.
      04-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashero View Post
Shiv, when updating my v1.4, I did not have to turn the car on and was able to go online once the cable is connected with the car off.
Do you have CA? That wakes the ECU up when in proximity if so.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Shiv,

If I have a Macbook (apple) that can boot in Windows XP, I can use this software and cable set up right ?

kj
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

I got riped by best buy adapter was 45 bucks.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad ///PWNS U, Maliboo! View Post
Haha, U Best Buys best boy now. Haha, naw, U just be needin that part quick like a fiend. I thought U be runnin' some cable out U hood & thru U window or sumpn already, is U ritin' a book on ghetto 335 mods? Haha. That be sellin just 2 them hos tryin 2 make a BOV outa duck tape fo "free", but it be a best sella' cus thems be the most forum peeps an they pay a dime 2 save they penny.
Do you realize that you bring absolutly nothing useful to any thread you have ever posted in? Go away, stop pissing on our nice technical threads with your ghetto nonsense... SERIOUSLY. You WILL be banned...

I suggest you read the forum rules...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/announcement.php?f=2&a=2
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post
Shiv,

If I have a Macbook (apple) that can boot in Windows XP, I can use this software and cable set up right ?

kj
Yes, I have a Macbook and used Windows XP running through Parallels software. If you don't have Parallels, you can pick it up at any Mac store and I highly recommend it because it allows you to run Windows OS like any other open app window so you can flip back and forth between operating systems without having to restart. Anyhow, I used that exact USB to serial cable from radioshack, loaded the CD in Windows XP, and everything hooked up just fine.

One funny thing though, I believe the com port on my Mac was Com 3 instead of 4, so just pay attention to that. Also, the CD is beneath the white cover paper in the box. I originally did not see it, wasted an hour looking on the web for a driver, then discovered the CD and felt like a jackass.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Now start your car so that your engine is running. Go to the "Comms" menu again and select "Go Online/Offline."
Now I'm confused

Up to this thread I have been thinking that the PROcede is powered-on permanently to support the ECU with data by randomly checking sensors when the car is powered off. Now Shiv clearly says that you have to start the car ! Maybe this is only to check if the connection is good and the PROcede Reader software gauges are working well before programming the unit.

Please, can anybody say if the PROcede is powered on all the time ( even when the car is powered off ) or the PROcede's power source is switched on / off together with the car's ignition ?

Knowing this would help in my little wireless serial bluetooth connection project for the PROcede. If the PROcede power source is switched on / off I'll share it with the SD100 device in the car.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Eugen

Last edited by e.n335; 04-11-2007 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Whoa. I actually understood what you wrote. Hey B Rad, did you run to mommy and tell her everyone was picking on you so she wrote the response?
      04-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
Raider
Panties Sniffer
Rep
Drives: Stealthy 335Ci

B-Rad, that's enough man...you were funny the first couple posts in that dude's iForged wheels for sale thread...now ur just getting lame, ur over doing it...

maybe impersonate someone else more funny now?
      04-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
Raider
Panties Sniffer
Rep
Drives: Stealthy 335Ci

Let me put it in a language that you'd understand.

Yo skillz be played out playa from the himalaya, these cats ain't rolling witchu no mo, they clownin' on u cuz u be bitin' someone else style. you best not bring that shizzle up in this nizzle cause ur game is wackkk, naimean?
      04-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
AM335
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Let me put it in a language that you'd understand.

Yo skillz be played out playa from the himalaya, these cats ain't rolling witchu no mo, they clownin' on u cuz u be bitin' someone else style. you best not bring that shizzle up in this nizzle cause ur game is wackkk, naimean?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad ///PWNS U, Maliboo! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Do you realize that you bring absolutly nothing useful to any thread you have ever posted in? Go away, stop pissing on our nice technical threads with your ghetto nonsense... SERIOUSLY. You WILL be banned...
Ban me, if you can. Really, ban me and my ghetto syntax. SERIOUSLY, you can't ban me, you impotent little man.
I didnt say that I would do it, but if you keep junking up our technical threads with this crap, the Mods have banned people for less.

You offer ZERO useful contribution to this forum, PERIOD. GO AWAY.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I didnt say that I would do it, but if you keep junking up our technical threads with this crap, the Mods have banned people for less.

You offer ZERO useful contribution to this forum, PERIOD. GO AWAY.
Is there not a way to find out if there is a double (or more) user name from the same location? As in this boorad guy.
      04-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Shiv will this work on a Macbook that does not have Windows installed? Any updates on that? What is the most cost effective way of getting Windows XP on my Macbook...Boot Camp?
      04-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
gashero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i A22 sedan streptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj View Post
Do you have CA? That wakes the ECU up when in proximity if so.
No, I don't have CA and the key was not in the ignition.
      04-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #17
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Guys, just like the ugly fat kid chick who tries to put on a bunch of make up, dies her hair pink and wears a short skirt to get attention, you don't WANT their attention so don't GIVE it to them.
Just ignore that B-Rad guy. I mean really, if you want to be a wannabe, do your really wannabe a gangster rap hip hop loser type? So much more to aspire too.
Let him be, ignore his posts, he'll try to get attention somewhere else.

I fully expect him to "attack" me now on this forum, it surely would be very 3rd grade girl scout-like of him...wait, actually a 3rd grade girl scout wouldn't stoop so low, but I'm sure he'll do it anyway.
I will ignore it, he'll just feel small afterward anyway.
It's sad really, he needs love from a mom and dad he probably didn't know or have. Let's all give him a hug!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Wow, this great informative post from Shiv got off topic quick.
Sorry I contributed to the OT talk.
Carry on on topic:

I gotta pick up one of those cables and parallel program for my MacBook Pro laptop.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #19
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz 335 View Post
Shiv will this work on a Macbook that does not have Windows installed? Any updates on that? What is the most cost effective way of getting Windows XP on my Macbook...Boot Camp?
It won't work on a Mac without Windows. Boot camp, from what I understand, is free but you have to turn off the Mac OS to boot Windows. Instead, spend $70 on Parallels software (available at any Mac store and probably online) if you are using a Macbook with the dual core technology. You'll love it, plus it's easy to use.

For example, I had Shiv's video running on quick time in MAC OS and was running the Procede softward in Windows through Parallel. Just my two cents. Shizzle.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
psu139
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Shiv,
do you think that this could work with a bluetooth serial port?
something like this http://www.colamco.com/store/product...Source=Froogle
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu139 View Post
Shiv,
do you think that this could work with a bluetooth serial port?
something like this http://www.colamco.com/store/product...Source=Froogle
Wow, Great find! I'm no computer expert, but I would be concerned about data being corrupted if you go wireless. Otherwise, GREAT solution to the "drag a wire through the firewall or door" problem. Shiv??
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #22
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

love PROcede and shiv