E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Who would win in a race? (on a track)

04-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
y2b3k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Who would win in a race? (on a track)

BMW 335i w/ ProCede vs. Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

Who do you guys think will win? I know it's like an Apple vs. Orange comparion, but I'm just about the pull the trigger on a 335i coupe, but I've found a slightly used (less than 6000 kms on the odo) 2005 Corvette that is about the same price as the 335i coupe.

Obviously one is a newer car, and probably more practical, but not by much. I am just about finished University and have secured a job to pay for the car. I do not really need the 2 additional seats in the BMW, so being practicle is not the question... Since I'm still young, I like speed + adrenaline and plan on going to the track a few times, so which car will win?

The price of the BMW 335i zsp, ca, auto w/ paddles and ProCede will be very close to the 2005 Corvette. Would a stock Corvette be able to beat the 335 + Procede? It seems like a decent comparison b/c in a way, the Corvette gets just as good gas milage as the 335i and the 0-60 & 1/4 mile times are quite similar... Most mags quote the Corvette (stock) being able to hit 12.8s @ 107mph on the 1/4 mile and 4.3-4.6s 0-60mph.

Obviously I have to go test drive the Corvette, but just wanted to know if anyone's had a run in w/ a Corvette yet? Obviously one's American Muscle and the other is European refinement, but I think it's still a good comparison b/c both are "sports" cars, have decent levels of handling, "more or less" similar reliability, and comparable gas milage (given one's a V6 TT while the other is a 6.0L V8) The Devil in me wants the Corvette b/c its engine platform is similar to the upcoming M3 and I think that those 2 cars would also bascially come down to a driver's race... so yah, opinions welcomed!

One more thing, I can take delivery of the Covertte almost immediately, whereas the 335i will take more than 4 months to get here And I'm also a bit worried about potential problems in the Bimmer such as oil cooler and fuel pump... Should I really be worried/concerned?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

With no family to consider, it's a no brainer. Get the Vette now. Later on, when you need a back seat and more of a trunk, get a bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
With no family to consider, it's a no brainer. Get the Vette now. Later on, when you need a back seat and more of a trunk, get a bimmer.
+1. The Corvette seems to be well suited to your needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Clem
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR ESS VT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
+1. The Corvette seems to be well suited to your needs.
I agree as well........if you can get past the Fisher Price quality interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Bravo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Accord

For what you are looking for, the Vette seems like a good choice. A brand new base Vette goes for about $47k or so, so may want to negociate on the price a good bit as it lost aot of its value as soon as it left the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

lol. did u even read the OP? or just the title and the first line?

edit: here, ill help:
Quote:
I'm just about the pull the trigger on a 335i coupe, but I've found a slightly used (less than 6000 kms on the odo) 2005 Corvette that is about the same price as the 335i coupe.
      04-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

get the Corvette!
      04-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Well, I'll answer your question.
The Corvette will take a PROceded 335i coupe on a track without too much trouble.
The 335i is a nice car and with a PROcede it's quite fast (I know, I have it)
but the Corvette will still handle much better and is more suited to track use.

Now, on a drag strip, it will be much closer.
The stock C6 Corvette runs 0-60 in the 4.3-4.5 second range (just about where the PROceded 335i is). So off the line, it's a driver's race.
But, once rolling and as speeds increase the C6 Corvette will begin to pull a bit.
C6 Corvette owners are seeing mid 12's @ 113-114 mph stock.
Heck even the car mags get 12.7 @ 112 mph.

By the way, I'm guessing Corvettes are more expensive up in Canada.
Because there is no way a 2005 Corvette should be the same price as a 2007 335i Coupe, unless the Corvette is fully loaded.
2007 C6 Corvettes here with "normal" options are $54-55K
2007 335i Coupe with "normal" options is $46-47K

The 2005 Corvette should be in the a $42-44K range at most.

If track use is what you want, the Corvette should be your choice.
But you will give up a decent amount in luxury and amenities.
One last point. The 335i Coupe would hold it's own against the Corvette on a track with a PROcede, suspension and brake upgrades however.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

It sounds like you'll already decided. The C6 is an incredible vehicle and stock vs. stock will destroy a 335i, straight line, track, it doesn't matter. It's a completely different animal. Car mags (C&D) have pulled times as quick as 4.1 0-60 with the stock C6. Just recently against a GT500, they pulled 4.3 and 12.7 out of a C6 with only 700 miles on it. Broken in, it's hitting 4.1-4.2 and mid to low 12's stock.

One of the problems with this question and the responses are the assumption that the 335i will be modded, but the C6 will not, which doesn't make sense given the numerous and cheap $ mods that exist for it. Anytime the response is, well you could keep up if you did a,b,c,d,e, then it's not an equal discussion anymore. If you truly keep it equal, (i.e if you mod 335i, you mod the C6 an equal $ amount), then the gap between them continues or grows larger.

Will a race between a tuned 335i and a stock C6 be a closer one, sure but again it's not a equal discussion anymore.

Example, I put about $2K into my C6 (slightly more than a Procede but less than a Procede and exhaust) and for that 2K I gained about 65HP and 60 TQ at the crack, giving me a car that can break into the 3 sec. 0-60 range and 11 sec. 1/4 range under the right conditions. For another $1,500, I can gain another 55HP and 50TQ at the crank. So for less than 4K (about the cost of a Procede and exhaust), I can turn a 400HP/400TQ car into a 510+HP/510TQ car that will put out 440/440 to the wheels. That's Z06 numbers and we've all seen what a Z06 can do.

As far as "giving up" luxury, I have the same or more luxury (heated seats, leather, telescopic steering wheel, HUD, NAV, Onstar) then I had in my E46 M3 for about 6-8K less than what I paid for my M3 even if you include the cost of the mods I have done and will do in a month or two.

Speaking as someone who loves BMW's and owned a E46 M3, buy the C6, don't look back, and get ready to not be able to wipe the smile off your face everytime you drive it and let it breathe.

Plus, they just look so good.

Last edited by Carnage; 04-12-2007 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1 View Post
For what you are looking for, the Vette seems like a good choice. A brand new base Vette goes for about $47k or so, so may want to negociate on the price a good bit as it lost aot of its value as soon as it left the dealer.
Actually, right now you can find base 07 Vette's (1LT, no options) in the US for $39,999. If you go the Vette, definitely work on getting the price down.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #11
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

what year did the C6 style start?

im thinking about maybe getting a weekend/track car by the end of the year and was leaning towards a Z3/Mroadster with a hardtop, but maybe a couple year old C6 is a better option?
      04-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRedPlz View Post
what year did the C6 style start?

im thinking about maybe getting a weekend/track car by the end of the year and was leaning towards a Z3/Mroadster with a hardtop, but maybe a couple year old C6 is a better option?
2005 is the first "model" year of the C6.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
One of the problems with this question and the responses are the assumption that the 335i will be modded, but the C6 will not, which doesn't make sense given the numerous and cheap $ mods that exist for it. Anytime the response is, well you could keep up if you did a,b,c,d,e, then it's not an equal discussion anymore. If you truly keep it equal, (i.e if you mod 335i, you mod the C6 an equal $ amount), then the gap between them continues or grows larger.

Well, I don't fully agree with that.
When people compare one car to another and say, "but if you add this and that mod to the one car it's as fast as the other." They are saying that out of price point, not equal modding $.
If you need to spend $6K more on a Corvette, then hypothetically you should or could be able to spend $6K in mods to the 335i in order to have a price point that's equal. It's not about how much in mods you spend to each car, it's about how much you spend OVERALL that matters.

Quote:
Will a race between a tuned 335i and a stock C6 be a closer one, sure but again it's not a equal discussion anymore.

Example, I put about $2K into my C6 (slightly more than a Procede but less than a Procede and exhaust) and for that 2K I gained about 65HP and 60 TQ at the crack, giving me a car that can break into the 3 sec. 0-60 range and 11 sec. 1/4 range under the right conditions. For another $1,500, I can gain another 55HP and 50TQ at the crank. So for less than 4K (about the cost of a Procede and exhaust), I can turn a 400HP/400TQ car into a 510+HP/510TQ car that will put out 440/440 to the wheels. That's Z06 numbers and we've all seen what a Z06 can do.

As far as "giving up" luxury, I have the same or more luxury (heated seats, leather, telescopic steering wheel, HUD, NAV, Onstar) then I had in my E46 M3 for about 6-8K less than what I paid for my M3 even if you include the cost of the mods I have done and will do in a month or two.

Just out of curiousity, what did you do to your C6 Vette that only cost $2K that gave you 65 Hp and 60 tq at the crank?
Did you dyno stock and then after these mods? What were your numbers?
And what is the other mod for $1,500 that will give you an additional 55 hp and 50 tq.

Those sound like HUGE gains (120 HP and 110 tq) for only $3500???
I'd think you'd need a supercharger for those kinds of power gains on that car.
By the way, I like the C6 Vette a lot too.
Damn Z06 is calling my name everyday!!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've had a few C5s and personally I think a PROcede 335 would have a hard time taking on a cam only C5. A heads/cam C6 will put out around 450rwhp and probably run high 11s on street tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

deff get the C6 i wish i couldve gotten one
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #16
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

Careful with just adding claimed HP gains together. The 55 you add here and the 60 you add there aren't necessarily at the same RPM, so you can't just say you've added 115 HP to the car. Plus, those HP claims are usually apply to an otherwise unmodded car.

I don't know what you've done so this may not apply to you, but I've seen some ridiculously exaggerated claims based on just adding up various parts they've thrown on their car. I.e., "I've picked up 10 HP from my CAI, 17 from my new exhaust, 35 from my headers and 43 from my new chip, therefore I have stock + 105 horsepower." BS.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #17
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If you need to spend $6K more on a Corvette, then hypothetically you should or could be able to spend $6K in mods to the 335i in order to have a price point that's equal. It's not about how much in mods you spend to each car, it's about how much you spend OVERALL that matters.

Overall, I've spent just over 50K for the car and mods. The car is not a stripped model either. It's an 3LT, w/ Onstar, transparent roof and NAV. Build a 335 with leather, heated seats, sunroof, NAV, etc. , mod it and we're equal on cost. There are plenty of good deals on C6's if you know the right people. Since mods for the C6 are cheaper, apples to apples long term I'm spending less.

Just out of curiousity, what did you do to your C6 Vette that only cost $2K that gave you 65 Hp and 60 tq at the crank? - Ported intake & TB, callaway intake, Kooks headers and off-road X-pipe, tuned= total cost w/ labor $2 grand and change.

Did you dyno stock and then after these mods? What were your numbers?

We didn't dyno it stock because there was a Z06 running and due to time issues we couldn't wait. They have a Mustang 1100SE dyno and they typically see about 315-325 RWHP on the stock C6. After the mods (listed above), I pulled 375 RWHP and 368 RWTQ, note: the car only had 313 miles on it when we dyno'ed so it's not even close to broken it yet. After the next mods (listed below), they are expecting to see another 45-50 RWHP & TQ gains which will put me at 420 RWHP range on a Mustang dyno. On a dynojet, it would be about 440+ and over 500 at the crank eitherway.

And what is the other mod for $1,500 that will give you an additional 55 hp and 50 tq. - Comps Cam, hardened push rods, springs, underdrive pulley, retuned, total cost w/ labor- $1,500 and change.

Those sound like HUGE gains (120 HP and 110 tq) for only $3500??? Yes it is and that's the beauty of the LS2 motor and amount of mods available. Plus, it never hurts to get the right people(shops with vast experience w/ Vettes) to do the job.

I'd think you'd need a supercharger for those kinds of power gains on that car. - You'd need a supercharger to get those kind of gains on an M3 at a cost of about 10K more. That's why I sold the M3. If I added a supercharger, I'd be well into the 500+ RWHP arena. The shop in Chicago that does my work finished a 05 C6 the week before and added a procharger, cams and headers, and at only 6.5 lbs of boost pulled 550 RWHP on the dyno. At the track it trapped at 130 while spinning the wheels just about the whole way.

Last edited by Carnage; 04-12-2007 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
OCNYBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

I had a C5 that was modded a little (350 rwhp). Anyway, I love vettes, but there is something about BMWs that just feel better that the vettes. Maybe it is the road feel. A good way (in my opinion) to describe the 2 are: get a vette if you are a compulsive track person, but get a BMW if you are a compulsive road person. (No flame please).

Get into the twisties, and some regular roads, and the vette starts to feel a little bit uncomfortable. Take a 335i on the same road, and it feels great and will easily fly right by a vette.

That is probably why Matsarge is on the e90post forum and not on the corvetteforum . Hey Matsarge, you have a beautiful C6, any reason you have a E90, and why did you get rid of the M3?
02 E39 540i*
* Retired/Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNYBMW View Post
Get into the twisties, and some regular roads, and the vette starts to feel a little bit uncomfortable. Take a 335i on the same road, and it feels great and will easily fly right by a vette.

That is probably why Matsarge is on the e90post forum and not on the corvetteforum . Hey Matsarge, you have a beautiful C6, any reason you have a E90, and why did you get rid of the M3?
Go drive a C6, the 335 is not going to be flying by it on any road. It's much tighter than a C5.

Actually I have about the same post count on both forums.
I bought the E90 back when they 1st came out in 05. I liked the E90 styling from the 1st time I saw it. It's a wonderful car and I love the way it drives plus it's the perfect car for my family.

As far as the C6 goes, I've wanted a Corvette since I was old enough to know what they were but there's always been one reason or another why I didn't pull the trigger. I got the chance to buy one at a incredible deal so I did it. I really liked the M3 but believe or not, the C6 is a better daily driver in terms of road feel, gas mileage. etc and we all know what it's capable of from a performance standpoint. I'm a big guy upper body wise (6'0, 240) and I'm much more comfortable in the C6 then the M3.

I just count myself blessed that I'm able to have the best of both worlds so to speak, the E90 for the family and the C6 for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
OCNYBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Go drive a C6, the 335 is not going to be flying by it on any road. It's much tighter than a C5.

Actually I have about the same post count on both forums.
I bought the E90 back when they 1st came out in 05. I liked the E90 styling from the 1st time I saw it. It's a wonderful car and I love the way it drives plus it's the perfect car for my family.

As far as the C6 goes, I've wanted a Corvette since I was old enough to know what they were but there's always been one reason or another why I didn't pull the trigger. I got the chance to buy one at a incredible deal so I did it. I really liked the M3 but believe or not, the C6 is a better daily driver in terms of road feel, gas mileage. etc and we all know what it's capable of from a performance standpoint. I'm a big guy upper body wise (6'0, 240) and I'm much more comfortable in the C6 then the M3.

I just count myself blessed that I'm able to have the best of both worlds so to speak, the E90 for the family and the C6 for me.

That is a very good point. I am sure that the C6 is much tighter than a C5. Not 100% convinced that a C6 can beat a 335i on the twisties (regular road) because it is the tightness that is problem. Vettes are heavily tuned for the track, so the suspension can sometimes make the car feel too stiff. BMWs have very tight suspensions, but in my opinion they have a little "give" on regular roads that makes them exceptional road cars. But yours with the mods will definately take a PROcede 335i!!. Your's is exactly the way I would get a C6 Black/Black/Manual!! It really is a beauty.

I think that you are right about the vette being a better daily driver than the M3. A good amount of people on this forum do say that the M3 has some issues with being used a daily driver. My C5 was an excellent daily driver.

Nice choices in cars!!
02 E39 540i*
* Retired/Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNYBMW View Post
That is a very good point. I am sure that the C6 is much tighter than a C5. Not 100% convinced that a C6 can beat a 335i on the twisties (regular road) because it is the tightness that is problem. Vettes are heavily tuned for the track, so the suspension can sometimes make the car feel too stiff. BMWs have very tight suspensions, but in my opinion they have a little "give" on regular roads that makes them exceptional road cars. But yours with the mods will definately take a PROcede 335i!!. Your's is exactly the way I would get a C6 Black/Black/Manual!! It really is a beauty.

I think that you are right about the vette being a better daily driver than the M3. A good amount of people on this forum do say that the M3 has some issues with being used a daily driver. My C5 was an excellent daily driver.

Nice choices in cars!!

Thanks!

One of the big differences between the C5 and C6 is GM shortened the C6 by about 5 in. and that pushed the wheels toward the corners of the car. The result is it now takes corners and curves like a slot car. It's a tighter car, but you feel in complete control the whole time and I'm able to do things with it that I couldn't do with the M3 in terms of throwing the car around corners and bends. It's a blast to drive and between that and the sound, you never stop smiling.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #22
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

If I didn't need a back seat, I would have bought a 2-seater (possibly a Vette). Get a two-seater and enjoy it before you need to seat more. When the time comes that you need a back seat, maybe get a bimmer... and keep the Vette for weekend drives.

Really, these cars serve very different purposes. I would start with a more apt comparison between the Z4M Coupe and the Vette.