E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Africa > Mini Review of 335i E93

04-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
Mini Review of 335i E93

ok first off i might be slightly biased, as i still think i am dreaming ...

1. Fold away roof, its awesome to watch it in action, everytime I think its going to touch, great engineering (must have been Wits engineers that designed that roof )
2. It has a soft close boot, like in the s class merc, the boot just needs to be dropped down slowly and it gets sucked closed ... cool
3. Performance, feels faster than the E46 ///M3 i had ... no need for gears 1,2,3,4,5 ... can leave it just in 6
4. Smooth ride, amazing ... this car is fun to drive slow or fast
5. Beautiful V8 like engine note ... its wow.... just perfect
6. Great logic 7 sound system, even with the roof down, crisp and a class sound system
7. very solid, with the top up you would not say you in a vert, no rattles at all
8. Grabs too much attention on the roads ...
9. Car does feel heavy when going into a bend
10. No turbo lag ...
11. 600km on a full tank ...
12. Rear passenger space is limited, struggle to get in and out if sitting at the back
13. Best car i have had ... its everything in one! ...
14. with M-sport suspension, you need to watch em humps ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
ok first off i might be slightly biased, as i still think i am dreaming ...

1. Fold away roof, its awesome to watch it in action, everytime I think its going to touch, great engineering (must have been Wits engineers that designed that roof )
2. It has a soft close boot, like in the s class merc, the boot just needs to be dropped down slowly and it gets sucked closed ... cool
3. Performance, feels faster than the E46 ///M3 i had ... no need for gears 1,2,3,4,5 ... can leave it just in 6
4. Smooth ride, amazing ... this car is fun to drive slow or fast
5. Beautiful V8 like engine note ... its wow.... just perfect
6. Great logic 7 sound system, even with the roof down, crisp and a class sound system
7. very solid, with the top up you would not say you in a vert, no rattles at all
8. Grabs too much attention on the roads ...
9. Car does feel heavy when going into a bend
10. No turbo lag ...
11. 600km on a full tank ...
12. Rear passenger space is limited, struggle to get in and out if sitting at the back
13. Best car i have had ... its everything in one! ...
14. with M-sport suspension, you need to watch em humps ...
Great mini review

I never knew that the E93 had a soft-close function... I've always loved that feature in the bigger BMW's.

600km on a tank, when the engine is still new (read thirsty) is very good.... I'm sure you will get even better mileage after the break-in period.

Yep, the rear passenger space may be limited, but I think that's a good thing ... then very few people would want to sit there.... so no back-seat drivers... yay :rocks:.

I'm sure you are enjoying the torque, especially with the traffic situation that we find ourselves in on a daily basis, including weekends.

Regarding the tyres... yep, I agree... the Michelin's can't be cheap... let us know how you find them (grip, road noise, etc)... I'm planning to change my front tyres soon, and I think I will try the Michelins.
Happy motoring
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
The Michelins are very quiet, no road noise, i had them on the M3 with the 19"s wheels and they were alot smoother than the 18" M3 wheels with dunlops ... and they do last alot longer than the other makes, with the M3 the original PS1 tyres fronts lasted till 45000kms rear at 30000km

Go with the michelins, they the best, dont think you will turn back, and when doing your costing take into account that the michelins do last a fair bit longer than the other brands

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|

Last edited by adamr; 04-17-2007 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
and i tried the active cruise control yesterday for the first time, quite cool ... my dad was in the car with me and when i told him the car was accelerating and braking he did not believe me ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
SA 325i Coupe
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 325i Coupe - Black Sapphire -

ha ha ha...
that's really funny...
with my dad at the wheel of the S500 my mom really does not believe that the car is driving itself either. He has to show her his feet, and show her that they are staying off the pedals for her to believe him...

Does BMW Active Cruise Control brake the car to standstill like the S-Class does? Coz that is amazing!!!! when you approach a stop street and the car gently stops itself completely, only then do you realise how incredible this technology is!!!

How does active cruise control work with manual-box ????

Delivered 30/03/07 !!!!
Image coming soon...

Last edited by SA 325i Coupe; 04-16-2007 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: oops
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
im assuming it would brake the car to a standstill, the car does indicate what gear you should be in when braking to very slow speeds, so the clutch action does not stop the active cruise function ... thats what i read in the manual, and i only tried the active cruise for a short bit on the highway, what i did notice is that if a car moves into your lane, it takes a small while for it to register the new car in front of you, if the car moves out it accelerates again, quite cool

stop street ? .... don wanna try that, just now the car jus goes straight ... does the merc actually pick up the white line on the road? cause they aint nothing in front of the car?

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The Michelins are very quiet, no road noise, i had them on the M3 with the 19"s wheels and they were alot smoother than the 18" M3 wheels with dunlops ... and they do last alot longer than the other makes, with the M3 the original PS1 tyres fronts lasted till 45000kms rear at 30000km

Go with the michelins, they the best, dont think you will turn back, and when doing your costing take into account that the michelins do last a fair bit longer than the other brands
Cool.... that's what I wanted to hear regarding road noise on Michelins... I will try them.

I got a short ride in a Z4M fitted with Michelins, and I was very impressed with the grip during a slalom, even though I was on the passenger seat.
With that grip, I then assumed that tyre life would be shockingly short... but if it gets close to 50 000km on an M3, then I guess I have nothing to worry about.

I've seen the pricing of Michelins, and it tends to be very steep.... I'm keenly waiting to see what they cost me in 18 inch guise.... and then there is that additional cost of being Runflat.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
and i tried the active cruise control yesterday for the first time, quite cool ... my dad was in the car with me and when i told him the car was accelerating and braking he did not believe me ...
Sounds like you are having fun... great stuff.

Wow, it's interesting that the car indicates the gear you should be in when braking.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30 View Post
Sounds like you are having fun... great stuff.

Wow, it's interesting that the car indicates the gear you should be in when braking.
only when it in the active cruise thing ... but must test it out properly ... have not driven the car in this week, tomorrow i shall drive her ...

BTW did you buy your tires?

been travelling from joburg south to PTA for the past week everyday .... very tired ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
only when it in the active cruise thing ... but must test it out properly ... have not driven the car in this week, tomorrow i shall drive her ...

BTW did you buy your tires?

been travelling from joburg south to PTA for the past week everyday .... very tired ...
Welll, it would be nice to have the gear displayed on manual cars even without ACC, just like in automatic cars.... not that it's necessary, I just like gadgets.... and sometimes I do get my mind wandering for a moment and try to change up to the next gear while I'm on gear 6.... I suppose I need gear 7 badly hehehe.

No, I have not bought the tyres yet.... I still have about 4000 km to go on the front tyres... the rears are still fine for at least another 15000km... the fronts are still fine as well... I'm only changing them because the one on the right-hand side is beginning to wear on the outer edge... it's most likely because of my hard conering on left-handers... I enjoy left-handers more than right-handers, so I think that explains the uneven wear on the front right-tyre.

I'm just trying to shop early to have a chance to get the best deal around.... I will most likely change the fronts at the end of May.

Over the weekend I went to Tiger Wheels in Menlyn, and they didn't have any runflat 18 inch tyres of any make... very disappointing... and they couldn't even tell me the price... it's a clue that they will be very expensive.

I will continue with the search every weekend.

So, how do you manage to not drive the E93 the whole week? I don't think I would be able to do that.... I would forever be on the road, just to hear that exhaust note.

Yep, agreed about Pretoria to Joburg... it's tiring... well, I'm somewhat used to it since I have no choice (I work in Joburg).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Well i have a diesel bakkie that i use to work on week days ... and at the moment I'm just too scared to park the BMW anywhere (very possessive at the moment) ... so 700km on the car at the moment, been driving the weekends, top down of course ...

Go for the Michelin's, my 335i is extremely smooth, considering it has the run-flats and the m-sport suspension ....

That exhaust note is something else, like a Porsche or a V8 ... this Friday my friend came over with a merc S55, V8 Kompressor the one with the 4 pipes ... my God that car is fast, they raced a modded E46 M3 which they annihilated, then the E39 M5 also annihilated, they told me before they came through to me that they also raced a 335i coupe from a rolling start and the 335i ran away from the S55 ... i dunno if that was true cause when i sat in that S55 it felt very fast, scary in fact no way a 335i is faster than that car

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 01:10 AM   #12
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well i have a diesel bakkie that i use to work on week days ... and at the moment I'm just too scared to park the BMW anywhere (very possessive at the moment) ... so 700km on the car at the moment, been driving the weekends, top down of course ...

Go for the Michelin's, my 335i is extremely smooth, considering it has the run-flats and the m-sport suspension ....

That exhaust note is something else, like a Porsche or a V8 ... this Friday my friend came over with a merc S55, V8 Kompressor the one with the 4 pipes ... my God that car is fast, they raced a modded E46 M3 which they annihilated, then the E39 M5 also annihilated, they told me before they came through to me that they also raced a 335i coupe from a rolling start and the 335i ran away from the S55 ... i dunno if that was true cause when i sat in that S55 it felt very fast, scary in fact no way a 335i is faster than that car
I agree with you regarding being possessive... people are too inconsiderate and downright malicious, especially at the malls.... One day I had chosen to park my car in the open parking lot, very far from other cars, in Menlyn mall.... there was no car on either side of it.

When I came back, I found my driver's side door mirror twisted and pointing forward, with a scratch on the driver's door, below the then twisted mirror.... I was so mad, but I couldn't do anything because there was no car next to mine at the time.... so the bugger ran away and parked elsewhere I suppose.... luckily the mirror wasn't broken... so i pushed it back into its place....from then on, everytime I park I fold my mirrors... but sadly I have no solution for the door dings people keep planting on my car.... So yeah, I understand your possessiveness.

Yep, that 335i motor is something else... I'm confident it can stay with the S55.... however, I agree with you, I don't think it can beat the S55.

Top down motoring is cool and tempting to me... especially since it helps make the exhaust sound clearer.... Ok, I might just get myself confused about my next car now... this was made worse after driving my friend's E46 330Ci again over the weekend.... his car is responsible for me buying my current car in the first place, but I don't like the cloth roof in the E46 330Ci, so I went for the sedan.

Now with the E93, I have no excuse about the roof.... I can't even imagine how much better the E93 335i sounds, from the driver's seat with the accelerator pedal pushed to the floor... The problem is, I don't want to test-drive it... because I know what will happen after the test-drive.

Yep, on my next front tyres, Michelin it will be.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #13
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Get the ///M3 E93 ... that be cool!!! ... BTW i saw the 335i sedan prices are out locally ... if i remember correctly R429000 ...that is R85k cheaper than its coupe sibling .... R400k plus is a lot of money but def better value for money when compared to the coupe ... its bout the price of a 325i coupe !

If it is a dent phone a place called "paintbull" 082-808-4123 ... used them for dents i have ever had on my car ... they are very good. its paintless dent removal ... and they come out to you

EDIT: Thinking of it .. if the 335i sedan is so much cheaper than the 335i coupe, i think the ///M3 sedan is gonna be similar difference .... mmmm... Maybe just over R500k for an ///M3 ... thats gonna be awesome! ... If you thinking of changing your 330i ... get this one

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Get the ///M3 E93 ... that be cool!!! ... BTW i saw the 335i sedan prices are out locally ... if i remember correctly R429000 ...that is R85k cheaper than its coupe sibling .... R400k plus is a lot of money but def better value for money when compared to the coupe ... its bout the price of a 325i coupe !
Wow, the 335i sedan is well priced if it costs that much... the drawback is that it might then hurt the resale price of our 330i's... but oh well, I never buy a car for investment purposes.... I will be hoping to get even when I sell mine.

Quote:
If it is a dent phone a place called "paintbull" 082-808-4123 ... used them for dents i have ever had on my car ... they are very good. its paintless dent removal ... and they come out to you
Thanks for the number... I will give them a ring when I come back from Durban... I'm out to the coast tomorrow(Friday) ... I'm looking forward to those N3 bends just before Pietermaritzbug... but the cameras tend to spoil the fun.

Quote:
EDIT: Thinking of it .. if the 335i sedan is so much cheaper than the 335i coupe, i think the ///M3 sedan is gonna be similar difference .... mmmm... Maybe just over R500k for an ///M3 ... thats gonna be awesome! ... If you thinking of changing your 330i ... get this one
Yep... my 330i is going next year ... I'm waiting to see undisguised E90 M3 pictures as well as SA prices for the E92 M3... and I read somewhere in this forum that SA prices will be out in May... if the E92 M3 price is not ridiculously high as I suspect it will be, then that's what I will be getting next year... otherwise I'll go for the E90 M3.... and I'm already in love with the E90 M3, since seeing spy-pics showing that the front looks like that of the coupe.... also, buying the sedan means that I will be able to add the majority of the optional gadgets.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #15
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
no need to .. if you replacing it with an ///M ....
Seeing how well your 330i is spec-ed sure you cant do without the gizmos in the new ride ... looks like a manual option only for the ///M3

What colour for the ///M? ... for the ///M im all for black on black ...

BTW: got my first chip on the car from a truck that tossed one at me and i saw it coming and this at 100km/h on the highway ... so i was cruising ... I am really trying to be so careful with the car, but sh1t happens! ...

So i rush off to look for the touch-up paint and they dont give you this when you but the car, thats so unfair ... so i had to order space grey touch-up...

BTW enjoy your trip (sure u will read this when you back) ... and most importantly drive safe ... too many idiots on the road

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 05:02 AM   #16
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
no need to .. if you replacing it with an ///M ....
Seeing how well your 330i is spec-ed sure you cant do without the gizmos in the new ride ... looks like a manual option only for the ///M3
Yep, you are right.... the M is a step up... it's just that I'm very much attached to my E90.... but I know I will forget all about it as soon as I take delivery of the M.

I prefer a manual transmission (even if it may be slower in gear-changes)... so the fact that the faster "automated manual" box will only appear later does not affect me.

Yep, I plan to add a lot of gizmos, so I hope the price will be reasonable.

Quote:
What colour for the ///M? ... for the ///M im all for black on black ...
I'm a little disappointed with the colours on offer at the moment, but my 2 choices for the E92 M are:
1. Black exterior, Fox Red interior, Carbon-look leather trim
2. Space Grey exterior, Fox Red interior, Carbon-look leather trim

If the pricing forces me to an E90 M, then I hope BMW will offer a wider selection of colours by the time they introduce the sedan.

I would have preferred a Blue colour just to avoid buying another Black car... but I'm not a fan of Interlagos Blue. I prefer something like Le Mans Blue, which is not available on the M.

Quote:
BTW: got my first chip on the car from a truck that tossed one at me and I saw it coming and this at 100km/h on the highway ... so i was cruising ... I am really trying to be so careful with the car, but sh1t happens! ...

So i rush off to look for the touch-up paint and they dont give you this when you but the car, thats so unfair ... so i had to order space grey touch-up...
Sorry about that.... the first ding or chip is the hardest to deal with... you must consider putting that invisible film they put on the bumpers and bonnets to protect the car against stone chips or swirls marks introduced when you try to remove insects stuck on your bumper... I'm definitely going to put the film on my next car.... I can't stand the sight of stone chips on my front bumper.

Quote:
BTW enjoy your trip (sure u will read this when you back) ... and most importantly drive safe ... too many idiots on the road
Thanks ... I had a safe trip to KZN... the traffic was horrible on Friday morning just before "Die Hoek" toll-gate... even after the toll-gate, one could only manage 80 km/h... but other than that, there were no other issues or accidents.... I decided to come back on Monday to avoid the traffic on Tuesday when everyone comes back.... the drive back was a lot more pleasant... I didn't see even one cop... except for the annoying permanent cameras that keep mushrooming everywhere on N3.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #17
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
just some advice *don't* get the first batch of ///M's .. for some reason they always have been troublesome ... i think i was very lucky with the E46 ///M3 cause it did not have any problems but everyone else that had a 2001 model had problems ... remember people seizing their motors left right and centre ... E60 ///M5 same thing ...

I will get the ///M in 08, if the price is not absurd, black on black or the white on black, of course manual, never was an SMG fan, trim choice if they do offer it will be piano black like in the ///M6 ... hopefully it is competitive to the RS4 price ...

Yeah hate em permanent cams ... believe it or not with all the traffic department fiasco's still have not gotten my plates ...

EDIT: Now that i think of it the guy i sold my ///M3 to seized the motor at 56000km ... sold the car to him with 49000km on the clock ... i bought the car with 12000km odd in 2003, but it was a late 2001 model, had the satin chrome trim not the wood trim

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 02:40 AM   #18
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
just some advice *don't* get the first batch of ///M's .. for some reason they always have been troublesome ... i think i was very lucky with the E46 ///M3 cause it did not have any problems but everyone else that had a 2001 model had problems ... remember people seizing their motors left right and centre ... E60 ///M5 same thing ...
Thanks man... That is why I'm hesitant to even get my name on a waiting list at the moment... I'm scared that as soon the pricing comes out (hopefully today), people will fall off the waiting list as reported elsewhere in this forum... and then I get one of the first ///M's this year.... I would prefer to get my //M somewhere in the middle of 2008.

I learned a lesson with my E90... I ordered it before launch, and within 9 months, it had spent close to 4 months at the dealership because of a lot of software issues and iDrive malfunction... but on the positive side, the engine and all other "important" parts have not given me a problem since delivery:rocks:.
Quote:
I will get the ///M in 08, if the price is not absurd, black on black or the white on black, of course manual, never was an SMG fan, trim choice if they do offer it will be piano black like in the ///M6 ... hopefully it is competitive to the RS4 price ...
I'm also hoping that they don't price the Coupe too high.... otherwise I will just have to wait for the E90 ///M then.

Quote:
Yeah hate em permanent cams ... believe it or not with all the traffic department fiasco's still have not gotten my plates ...
Yep, I heard about the collapse of that eNatis (or whatever they call it) thingy.... OK, I hate the temporal plates, but on the positive side, you don't have to worry about permanent cameras.

Quote:
EDIT: Now that i think of it the guy i sold my ///M3 to seized the motor at 56000km ... sold the car to him with 49000km on the clock ... i bought the car with 12000km odd in 2003, but it was a late 2001 model, had the satin chrome trim not the wood trim
Wow.... you were very lucky to not have to put up with that motor seizing on you.... that was really close though... but luckily for the guy, he was still within the Motorplan mileage.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30 View Post
Thanks man... That is why I'm hesitant to even get my name on a waiting list at the moment... I'm scared that as soon the pricing comes out (hopefully today), people will fall off the waiting list as reported elsewhere in this forum... and then I get one of the first ///M's this year.... I would prefer to get my //M somewhere in the middle of 2008.
M3 has to be very closely matched to the RS4 price ... if its over R700k ... it just does not look viable .... that would mean it being a R150k more than the previous E46 ///M3 ... The specs are the same as the rS4 ...then people will see the RS4 as a better option .... I will wait for 2008 ... pref before the price increase in feb ... but then again i do love this vert alot ... makes you ask why do i need a ///M3 ... look when the time comes we will see, i got the ///M orderd at Alberante, Auto Glen and Berea City ... If the car is R750k base, im def gonna pass ...

Quote:
I'm also hoping that they don't price the Coupe too high.... otherwise I will just have to wait for the E90 ///M then.
Sure there will be a big difference in price between the coupe and sedan like wiht the 335i, coupe R505k, sedan R429k ... do you know if the sedan will be made here in SA? ...

Quote:
Wow.... you were very lucky to not have to put up with that motor seizing on you.... that was really close though... but luckily for the guy, he was still within the Motorplan mileage.
But then i did take care of the car, waited for the rev lights to go off when you started the car, got quickly to six and even when the light were all out, waited for the oil to warm up and then pushed the car ... if the clock said the car has 20000km, trust me anyone would beleive it ... it looked brand new ... first day the guy bought the car from me he pushed it to 272km/h (he told me the readin on the on board TV monitor) ... so i would not be surpised if he just hammered the car right away from a cold start

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #20
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
M3 has to be very closely matched to the RS4 price ... if its over R700k ... it just does not look viable .... that would mean it being a R150k more than the previous E46 ///M3 ... The specs are the same as the rS4 ...then people will see the RS4 as a better option .... I will wait for 2008 ... pref before the price increase in feb ... but then again i do love this vert alot ... makes you ask why do i need a ///M3 ... look when the time comes we will see, i got the ///M orderd at Alberante, Auto Glen and Berea City ... If the car is R750k base, im def gonna pass ...
Yeah, I'm surprised that you are even thinking about the ///M when you have just gotten the allrounder E93.... well, in some way I do understand your predicament... an ///M is an ///M, and I think there will always be a special place for an ///M, especially since you've owned the E46 ///M before.

In my case, if BMW prices the Coupe ridiculously, as I think they will, I will then opt for the sedan ///M... for some reason, as great as the RS4 is, it still doesn't appeal to me well enough to want to own it.... I do admire it, and I tend to stare when I see one, but I don't like it badly enough to want to own it.

Quote:
Sure there will be a big difference in price between the coupe and sedan like wiht the 335i, coupe R505k, sedan R429k ... do you know if the sedan will be made here in SA? ...
No, I have no idea whether the sedan will be built here or not.. I would certainly hope that BMW would go for the option of building it here, to make it more affordable and cheaper than the RS4.

Quote:
But then i did take care of the car, waited for the rev lights to go off when you started the car, got quickly to six and even when the light were all out, waited for the oil to warm up and then pushed the car ... if the clock said the car has 20000km, trust me anyone would beleive it ... it looked brand new ... first day the guy bought the car from me he pushed it to 272km/h (he told me the readin on the on board TV monitor) ... so i would not be surpised if he just hammered the car right away from a cold start
Yeah, I suspected abuse by the new owner, so your statements just confirmed my suspicion.... that's why it just broke the minute it fell into other hands.... chances are, if you didn't sell it, it wouldn't have seized at all... it would probably still be running fine.

I also do the same routine as you... that of quickly changing gears and getting to 6 and then cruising .... even though I have no gauge to tell me whether the engine oil is in the normal operating temperature or not, I've developed a habit of driving moderately for the first 25 to 30 kilometres... I assume that should be enough time for the car to warm up.

Make no mistake, I do drive it hard and fast when it's all warmed up.... but I take care not to abuse it.

I think my engine is pretty healthy as it does not drink oil at all... the first oil change was required at 29 000 km, and I never needed to top it up before the 1st oil service.... my second oil change was at about 60 000km, also without any need for top up before the 2nd oil service.
All in all, whoever that will buy my car will be very lucky indeed.

Have you gotten some time to play some more with Active Cruise control? How is it? is it something you would definitely order again or not?

Do you prefer the belt feeder of the E92 or the E93 way of "no belt feeder"?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
played a bit with the active cruise but on the highway again, its cool ... but honestly would not take the option, as i know i wont use this feature much (i think it is a R12k option, not cheap, thats my 42" plasma TV)... it was part of the exclusive pack (when i did the math and added the extras separately, it ended working out the same price without the active cruise control ... )...

the car actually applies brakes when a car is in front ... all thats left for them to do is make the car steer itself (which should not be hard)

Quote:
Do you prefer the belt feeder of the E92 or the E93 way of "no belt feeder"?
The butler goody was cool ... honestly whether a car has it or not it would not worry me much

BTW good to see some people that do take care of their cars ... i was feeling all alone there for a bit ... ... When people saw my ///M cars i had they always thought i was mad to clean even the inside of the pipes ... am I? ... mean the thing is all this shiny metal and why not Brasso it...

Any pricing yet on the ///M3? ...

My mistake on the 335i sedan pricing ... it is actually R415k !! ... the sport is R429k ... yeah R15k cheaper ... a coupe then is almost R100k more!!! ... if thats the case with the ///M3, iw ill have to say why be stupid and spend R100k more on the same car, and worse still the sedan is more practical and comfortable ... and you would not have to wait 3 months to get one, if its made in SA

Quote:
In my case, if BMW prices the Coupe ridiculously, as I think they will, I will then opt for the sedan ///M... for some reason, as great as the RS4 is, it still doesn't appeal to me well enough to want to own it.... I do admire it, and I tend to stare when I see one, but I don't like it badly enough to want to own it.
+1 ... my exact feelings too ... no lies

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
played a bit with the active cruise but on the highway again, its cool ... but honestly would not take the option, as i know i wont use this feature much (i think it is a R12k option, not cheap, thats my 42" plasma TV)... it was part of the exclusive pack (when i did the math and added the extras separately, it ended working out the same price without the active cruise control ... )...

the car actually applies brakes when a car is in front ... all thats left for them to do is make the car steer itself (which should not be hard)
The ACC is way too expensive... and since I don't even use the "normal cruise control", I don't think it will be worth it for me.... but I used to think Navigation was pointless... well, I've changed my tune after owning a car with one... all my future cars will definitely have Navigation... so, who knows, I might warm up to ACC as well.

Quote:
BTW good to see some people that do take care of their cars ... i was feeling all alone there for a bit ... ... When people saw my ///M cars i had they always thought i was mad to clean even the inside of the pipes ... am I? ... mean the thing is all this shiny metal and why not Brasso it...
Yep, my exhaust pipes get cleaned inside as well... at the car-wash they already know how to clean my pipes... they clean the inside too, and I don't have to remind them anymore... but I noticed that they don't give the same treatment to other cars... they just wipe and leave it at that.... well, I suppose I taught them well on how to detail mine.

The thing about looking after your car is that it tends to return the favour by giving you trouble-free motoring.

So no, you are not mad by polishing the pipes... there is a lot of us doing the same.
Quote:
Any pricing yet on the ///M3? ...
No... I'm still waiting as well.... hopefully someone will be kind enough and post the pricing document somewhere on the net.

Quote:
My mistake on the 335i sedan pricing ... it is actually R415k !! ... the sport is R429k ... yeah R15k cheaper ... a coupe then is almost R100k more!!! ... if thats the case with the ///M3, iw ill have to say why be stupid and spend R100k more on the same car, and worse still the sedan is more practical and comfortable ... and you would not have to wait 3 months to get one, if its made in SA
Yep, as time ticks by, I'm leaning more and more towards the sedan... I just need the pricing to be out now... then I will make my final decision... if the Coupe comes out at more than R650K, it will take me some convincing to buy it, especially if it is not loaded with standard goodies (e.g. EDC, Navigation, Individual High-End Audio system).

My plan is to get the car with at least EDC, Navigation and 19 inch wheels... and if the pricing isn't crazy, I would like the Individual High-End Audio system and the Extended Leather.... I hope Santa is reading this.
Appreciate 0