E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > detailing alloy wheels.

07-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
zfyusuf
BimmerMan
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
detailing alloy wheels.

what is the best way to really detail my alloy wheels and what supplies do you guys think i need. i'm not really sure what to do.......

should I>>>>>wax, polish, clay bar...? all of the above
here's a pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

There is no one right way but here is what I'd recommend.

I'd use the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect roughly once per month for a deep cleaning. This formula is pH neutral but still highly effective! In between you can just wash with soap and water if desired.

If you have a really stubborn stain polish it with something like the P21S Finish Restorer.

For protection after cleaning you can use your sealant that you use on your paint or pick up something specific for wheels like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

You can save 10% off on all these items with the coupon code e90post at www.DetailedImage.com. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
zfyusuf
BimmerMan
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
thank you!!!! very helpful

Is the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant only to be used after i use the P21S Finish Restorer or can i use it after applying the SONAX wheel cleaner full
effect.

also how often do you think i should use the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant, and what do you recommend best to be used for interior scuff marks.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfyusuf View Post
thank you!!!! very helpful

Is the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant only to be used after i use the P21S Finish Restorer or can i use it after applying the SONAX wheel cleaner full
effect.

also how often do you think i should use the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant?

One last question......what's best to use for interior scuff marks.
You can use the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant after any cleaning whether it's just soap and water, sonax wheel cleaner or a metal polish. You just want the wheel to be clean so the sealant can bond to it. The durability of the Wheel Sealant depends on so many different factors but a ball park figure of 4 - 6 weeks is about what I've noticed.

Interior scuff marks are challenging because a scuff indicates you've physically removed part of the surface. If it was in the clear coat you could polish it but plastic, vinyl and rubber don't work like that so most times it can not be fixed. I often just hit it with my favorite interior cleaner (303 Cleaner & Spot Remover) and I know the Einszett 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner Plastik-Reiniger is another popular choice. Again I think these products can help remove contaminants and some of the smear but nothing is going to replace the lost material as far as I know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0