E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > voice recognition iphone contacts?

08-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
klous
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d '08

voice recognition iphone contacts?

Hey all, first post here. Just bought my first BMW (320D '08) and loving it a lot.

Getting to grips with all the features in the car, and been reading the manual a lot. There's nothing in the manual to do with the bluetooth telephone function, so struggling a little bit.

I've managed to pair my iphone 4 with the car, and can make calls manually using the controls on the stereo system area. All works well. The speech recognition system intrigues me and would love to use it more.

I've got a list of voice commands which all work, but it wasn't recognising any of the contacts in my iphone. So i asked it to read the phonebook, and it read a short list of contacts that obviously the previous owner had stored into the BMW phonebook memory.

I've deleted them using the voice command, and my question is do I need to import/add selected contacts to the BMW phonebook memory in order to use the speech recognition? And if so how do I do it!?

A long post for a simple question, sorry.

Thanks,

Nick
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by klous View Post
Hey all, first post here. Just bought my first BMW (320D '08) and loving it a lot.

Getting to grips with all the features in the car, and been reading the manual a lot. There's nothing in the manual to do with the bluetooth telephone function, so struggling a little bit.

I've managed to pair my iphone 4 with the car, and can make calls manually using the controls on the stereo system area. All works well. The speech recognition system intrigues me and would love to use it more.

I've got a list of voice commands which all work, but it wasn't recognising any of the contacts in my iphone. So i asked it to read the phonebook, and it read a short list of contacts that obviously the previous owner had stored into the BMW phonebook memory.

I've deleted them using the voice command, and my question is do I need to import/add selected contacts to the BMW phonebook memory in order to use the speech recognition? And if so how do I do it!?

A long post for a simple question, sorry.

Thanks,

Nick
The phone handbook is separate, so if you got the car as a BMW AUC I would ask the dealer to order you one.

You may find that the voice activated phone book doesn't work off your phone. Instead you have to teach it the numbers. I forget the commands, but first you tell it the name, then the number. After that you say 'dial name' after the beep say the name, the lady in the dashboard repeats it and you say 'yes'.

I's all a bit of a palarva to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

On cars without "full" voice control (i.e. no iDrive + voice option) then you have to individually "record" a voice tag and corresponding number in the car itself and it's entirely separate from any contacts on the phone.

Only if you have full voice control in the iDrive does it intelligently match what you say directly to the contacts list (at least it does with my BlackBerry so I'd assume the iPhone is the same).
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

If you have idrive then it I think it should just recognise the names in the contact list. I think it helps if the names are long.

e.g. In my car phone contacts book that is uploaded from the iphone 4 automatically I have e.g. "Fred Dibner (Home)" and "Fred Dibner (Mobile)" listed on my iphone (names changed a bit but you get the idea)

All you have to do is press the voice button and after the beep say "Call - Fred - Dibner - Home" - then idrive should ask "Do you want to be connected to Fred Dibner Home?" - beep, then you say "yes". Then it starts dialling.

As Xenon says - you don't have to programme anything - it matches phonetically without teaching.