E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 sidelight /drl bulb warning/error - which replacement?

08-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Dr G13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

E92 sidelight /drl bulb warning/error - which replacement?

Wondering if someone can help me out a little. Today a warning light came on the idrive screen saying left hand side sidelight/drl light error.

Basically the passenger side angel eye thing and side light is fused. So i reckon it needs a new bulb or bulbs.

Here is where I am confused, since both the angel eye went out and side light does this mean I need two seperate bulbs?

I have the standard xenon lights on the car and they are not affected just the yellow ring and the yellow side light that goes on all the time (if selected yes to drl lights on idrive)

I was looking at this clip:

!

where he basically shows they are two seperate bulbs for the angel eye ring and for the side light, im very confused as other threads iv read its just one h7 bulb that does both the ring and side light but this chaps pulling out two bulbs!

Would be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction as to what bulb or bulbs I need as I will give it a crack myself, according to that clip it seems very easy so long as I have the correct bulb.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
The daytime running light or angel eyes uses the H8 bulb..only one bulb is needed on each side(one bulb lits up both the angel eye rings)..it's a lot easier than what it's shown in the youtube video once you have removed the black plastic housing cover. It takes about 5-10mins on each side..need small hands or lots of patience. It's not difficult
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Dr G13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty78 View Post
The daytime running light or angel eyes uses the H8 bulb..only one bulb is needed on each side(one bulb lits up both the angel eye rings)..it's a lot easier than what it's shown in the youtube video once you have removed the black plastic housing cover. It takes about 5-10mins on each side..need small hands or lots of patience. It's not difficult
Perfect just what I needed to know, thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Exactly the same happened to me today, except right side.
Popped a thread up here, and was told it is an H8 35W bulb.
Went to Halfords, bought the bulb, then fitted as per the handbook.
Pop the cover off, turn the bulb through 90 deg to undo it, disconnect the wiring connector and fit to the new bulb, then reverse order to refit. Simple

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Dr G13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules6 View Post
Exactly the same happened to me today, except right side.
Popped a thread up here, and was told it is an H8 35W bulb.
Went to Halfords, bought the bulb, then fitted as per the handbook.
Pop the cover off, turn the bulb through 90 deg to undo it, disconnect the wiring connector and fit to the new bulb, then reverse order to refit. Simple
Yup did the exact same last night, actually couldn't believe how easy it was.

I think it took me longer to write this thread up than to actually change the bulb!

My H8 35w bulb cost me £14.99 from halfrauds but glad it was an easy job.

One thing I will say though is that if you have massive hands then get a girl to put her hand in (ohhh errr ) and twist the holder as it can be quite tight with larger hands. And offcourse don't touch the bulb itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Ditto I got mine from Halfords.
I've since been told by BMW Westerly that they would have replaced it free under warranty! Never heard of bulbs covered under the warranty before!

Appreciate 0