Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I want my run flats back!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
I want my run flats back!

Hey guys, I was frustrated like many by the RF tires which came from the factory on my 2008 335i E90 sport package. I even had to replace one of them after hitting a bad pothole a while back.

So when it was time to get my 3rd set of tires (car has about 60k miles), I decided to switch to non-run flats. Since winters can get pretty cold where I live, I picked a set of all season Continental DWS.

After 1k with these tires I'm ready to move back with the RF Michelin. I have a couple of major problems with these new tires:

- the car feels a bit softer, however it's lost some of its handling "edge". It doesn't feel as planted and confident as it did with the RFs. I'm sure this is due to the softer sidewall.

- under heavy acceleration, the car feels like it is not stable and shakes a bit. This stops right away when I stop pushing it, so it's not a balancing issue. It started right away after the install so I'm pretty sure it's not an engine or drivetrain problem. I'm currently stock and planning to buy a JB4 soon, so this is an issue.

So while the ride is a little softer, which I don't care for, and I don't have to worry as much about potholes, I'm really disappointed by the performance and feel of the car after making that switch. I feel like I'm not tapping into the entire performance of the car, and want to go back to run flats.

These new tires might be ok with the non-sport or non-turbo cars, maybe it would have been better to stick to summer tires, maybe I'm going insane. Anyone with a 335i sport package had the same experience?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Gravy
Look away, look away, look awa....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan m/t bone stock

Hell yea. I thought it was my imagination... I noticed the handling difference right away... It rolls more during slight changes in direction... Traction is better though. The vibration is hit and miss with me. You will get used to it soon like i did hopefully.. Also, i still have the potenzas on the fronts btw. Im sure it makes a bit of difference

ROLL TIDE!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335

Not the same experience at all, the minute I had them changed I couldn't believe BMW would even use run flats. Maybe it's the type of tire thats causing the problem?
      08-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Probably because you went with all-season tires! If you got Michelin PS2's or something like that, I'm sure the performance would eclipse the run-flats.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

i replaced my RFTs with Nitto INVOs and have been very happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

The "crisp turn in" of the RFTs is due to the overly stiff side wall and is more of an illusion of impoved handling than an actual improvement in handling. A tire needs a certain amount of slip angle to generate maximum grip. Too little slip angle due to an overly stiff sidewall will be detrimental to handling and although the car may feel like it is has a crisper turn in it will generate less grip than a tire with a bit more sidewall flex. This is one of the reasons that the M3 does not have RFTs and the racing version of the M3 does not run 19s.

This has been discussed here before but this is a good explanation

Slip Angle
Slip angle is the angular difference between the direction the tyre contact patch with the road is pointing and the direction of the wheel (figure 1, below). This sounds odd - you might expect that the tyre tread would point in the same direction as the wheel wouldn't you? It doesn't because being made of rubber, the tyre sidewalls deform, and the tread pattern itself can 'squirm' when the wheel is turned from the straight-ahead.
In fact, modest slip angles are 'good' as tyres generate progressively more grip with increasing slip angles (figure 2, opposite), albeit up to definable limit where after no further grip is generated. Thereafter, increasing slip angles are 'bad', and the tyre will tend to loose grip.
Therefore, it should be apparent that if the slip angles for the front and rear tyres are the same (the tyres front and rear are generating similar levels of grip), the car will steer essentially as if there was no slip angle at all (neutral cornering).
Figure 1. Definition of slip angle. Note how the contact patch of the tyre need not be in the same orientation as the whole wheel, often lagging a few degrees behind.

Now let us consider what happens when the slip angles exceed our optimal grip generation limits. If the rear slip angle is larger than the front one you have a condition known as over-steer while if the front slip angle is larger, the condition known as under-steer results (also see the explanation on the tracking page). You will recall that a slip angle results from a combination of tyre sidewall flex and tyre traction. Note that if there is no traction (on ice, for example), then the slip angle will become essentially zero. On the other hand, if a wheel travels in a direction other than the one its contact patch is pointing, then you have a SLIDE angle rather than a slip angle.
Slide angles and slip angles are VERY DIFFERENT. Inertia determines the direction the car will travel if it slides (centripetal force). If you lose traction you will slide in the direction you were travelling at the time the slide starts. So long as you have traction you will travel in the direction the contact patch points, not the tyre. Slide angle is the angular difference between the direction inertia sends you and the direction your tyres are pointing while slip angle is the angular difference between the direction your contact patch is pointed (thus, the direction the tyre moves) and the direction the tyre is pointed.
Decreased traction reduces slip angles and increases slide angles!
Figure 2. Lateral force versus slip angle. Note that lateral force progressively increases from 0 degrees slip to a peak at about 8 degrees. Thereafter, the adhesion is lost, and the lateral force that the tyre is capable of generation progressively deteriorates.
What else affects slip angles? Acceleration and braking, tyre profile size and tyre camber. Acceleration and braking affect traction primarily because of weight transfer and toe-angle changes.
The greater camber, the greater the camber thrust. Camber thrust attempts to turn your wheel into a turn in the direction of lean. Thus, greater camber thrust yields smaller slip angles.
Given that the rear camber of the MGF is greater than the front, you should expect that the rear tyres are almost always operating with a lower slip angle than the front tyres. (I.e., your car tends to under-steer.)
What changes a slip angle into a slide angle? Excessive slip angles!!! That is, a slip angle is so called because the part of the contact patch that is to the outside of your turn is moving faster than the wheel itself is in the direction it (the contact patch) is pointing while the part on the inside is moving more slowly. (Exactly like camber thrust.) Since the outside part is moving faster than the tyre it must be slipping. The inside part is gripping better than it would if moving in a straight line. For this reason the contact patch 'walks' itself into the turn.
The greater the slip angle, the larger portion of the contact patch that is slipping. At some point there is so little part of the contact patch that is not slipping that traction is lost and the tyre begins to slide. Until shortly before then, slide traction increases. Note, however, that traction is generally not lost all at once. Rather than an abrupt loss of traction, it tends to be lost gradually. (Thankfully!!!)

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

tire purchase fail. try some better tires! RFTs are the WORST!
      08-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

^Great technical answer..OP just get some non-rfts w stiffer sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
tire purchase fail. try some better tires! RFTs are the WORST!
Yeah I would have to agree, maybe just the all seasons. i just switched from RF's. I ran RF's on my 08 and when I bought my 2011 I decided to switch to non-RF's. I went with Pirelli Rosso's and the improvement in HUGE. Besides traction I have noticed that the car is much more "planted" and does not skip when cornering anymore. I do not have any vibration at low or high speeds, and I have run them pretty hard. Maybe try a different tire like the Michelin Super Sport, they have had great reviews.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While I have them on a NA6 (128i), I found that increasing the pressures by about 3 psi all around pretty much tames the somewhat mushy turn in feel.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Yeah I would have to agree, maybe just the all seasons. i just switched from RF's. I ran RF's on my 08 and when I bought my 2011 I decided to switch to non-RF's. I went with Pirelli Rosso's and the improvement in HUGE. Besides traction I have noticed that the car is much more "planted" and does not skip when cornering anymore. I do not have any vibration at low or high speeds, and I have run them pretty hard. Maybe try a different tire like the Michelin Super Sport, they have had great reviews.
The skipping while cornering is the worst aspect of the handlng of the RFTs.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

If it's feel you are going for...add 3psi.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Wow, first thread I've seen where people want to go BACK to RFTs. I had a fleeting moment where I missed them, then I remembered all the bone jarring shockwaves going over the slightest road imperfections and I'm good again lol. LOVE my Yokohama S drives
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
I went through 3 sets of Yoko S-Drive's and liked them... Now I have Conti DWS and they were way too soft, but after adding 3-5psi all around, I like them better than the S-Drive. So give that a try.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

Well softer is better than harsh, but why all seasons? Conti Contacts 2's is the way to go...

Get summer performance tires, then get a winter set. RFT is like having a brick for a tire.

I like the Hankooks too, super smooth, good on the track too...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
Wow, first thread I've seen where people want to go BACK to RFTs. I had a fleeting moment where I missed them, then I remembered all the bone jarring shockwaves going over the slightest road imperfections and I'm good again lol. LOVE my Yokohama S drives
lol!
Sal are those all seasons?

u guys okay up there i?
      08-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #17
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

I guess I'm in the minority along with OP, but I have gotten used to my RFs and really don't mind them anymore. I have heard several stories similar to OPs where people have switched from RFs to Non-RFs and the car's handling characteristics become worse. Obviously, if the car's suspension is tuned for RFs then it's only going to perform the way the engineer's intended with RFs on it.

They seem to be improving each generation of RFs so I'm not concerned with sticking with the RFs. It's interesting that while M3s don't come equipped with RFs, many Ferraris do.
      08-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Going from a summer tire which is what your car had on it to an all season is a serious downgrade in performance. I dumped my RFT's and went to Michelin PS2's which are excellent. I lost a tiny bit on turn in quickness but I gained so much more in all other areas I would never go back.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #19
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

I replaced the OEM Potenza RFTs with Pirelli P_Zero Nero A&S all seasons. They are far superior to the Brigestones in every respect and I wanted all seasons because it is not practical for me to have a set of dedicated winter tires, I never take the car out in the snow so dedicated snows serve no purpose but I do take it out when the temperature is below 40 degrees.

I took the car on the Lime Rock autocross course with the RFTs and then a week later with the Pirellis, I drove and a friend who is a Skip Barber insructor and a 2 time national autocross champion drove, We both concluded that the RFTs sucked,

CA

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
I guess I'm in the minority along with OP, but I have gotten used to my RFs and really don't mind them anymore. I have heard several stories similar to OPs where people have switched from RFs to Non-RFs and the car's handling characteristics become worse. Obviously, if the car's suspension is tuned for RFs then it's only going to perform the way the engineer's intended with RFs on it.

They seem to be improving each generation of RFs so I'm not concerned with sticking with the RFs. It's interesting that while M3s don't come equipped with RFs, many Ferraris do.
If there is one thing that has become blatantly obvious to me it is the fact that the engineering team that designed the 3 Series sport suspension were clueless.

Driving in Florida and driving in the Northeast is like being in two different planets, If I had kept my car in Palm Beach, where I purchased it, I would have no issue with the RFTs. Once I shipped the car to Manhattan the RFTs were gone in two weeks and the OEM dampers were eventually replaced with Koni FSDs. In stock condition the car was for all practical puposes undriveable in the NYC area,

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-28-2011 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #21
plokij
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

you should have read a review first.

conti dws get seriously dinged for being too soft. most sports car owners claim they feel unstable / unsafe.

if you want a/s performance tires i don't think there is a better match for a 3er than michelin pilot sport a/s plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Hey guys, I was frustrated like many by the RF tires which came from the factory on my 2008 335i E90 sport package. I even had to replace one of them after hitting a bad pothole a while back.

So when it was time to get my 3rd set of tires (car has about 60k miles), I decided to switch to non-run flats. Since winters can get pretty cold where I live, I picked a set of all season Continental DWS.

After 1k with these tires I'm ready to move back with the RF Michelin. I have a couple of major problems with these new tires:

- the car feels a bit softer, however it's lost some of its handling "edge". It doesn't feel as planted and confident as it did with the RFs. I'm sure this is due to the softer sidewall.

- under heavy acceleration, the car feels like it is not stable and shakes a bit. This stops right away when I stop pushing it, so it's not a balancing issue. It started right away after the install so I'm pretty sure it's not an engine or drivetrain problem. I'm currently stock and planning to buy a JB4 soon, so this is an issue.

So while the ride is a little softer, which I don't care for, and I don't have to worry as much about potholes, I'm really disappointed by the performance and feel of the car after making that switch. I feel like I'm not tapping into the entire performance of the car, and want to go back to run flats.

These new tires might be ok with the non-sport or non-turbo cars, maybe it would have been better to stick to summer tires, maybe I'm going insane. Anyone with a 335i sport package had the same experience?
Yep. Absolutely!!

I lved my orm bridgestone RFT's--Car took turns/corners like it was on a Rail.

Got the Michelin A/S plus and althiugh they ride great and are sticky they give alot more on cornering.

My Summer set up is going to be RFT's!!
Appreciate 0