Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > new non runflats.... ehhh

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
jmgsxr
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335 xi

new non runflats.... ehhh

so i just had to put new tires on the car and i went with a non runflat toyo proxy4 the car rides much smoother but i feel like i lost a lot of handiling, the car feels like it rolls alot more now almost unstable at highway speeds. I'm not sure if i should go back to the runflats or just a different non runflat tire?? any suggestions? The car is a 335xi with stock 225/45/17
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Have you tried bumping up the tire pressure? I heard non-RFTs need a few more PSI.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgsxr View Post
so i just had to put new tires on the car and i went with a non runflat toyo proxy4 the car rides much smoother but i feel like i lost a lot of handiling, the car feels like it rolls alot more now almost unstable at highway speeds. I'm not sure if i should go back to the runflats or just a different non runflat tire?? any suggestions? The car is a 335xi with stock 225/45/17

How new are the tires ? New tires take several hundred miles to break in. Increase your air pressure to compensate for the non-runflat sidewalls.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

proxes4 are all seasn, not summer tires. you will lose a little traction. as someone mentioned bump the psi up a few pounds over factory, read the tire pressure spec in the manual for for more guidance.
      09-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

tire pressure, and they are not performance tires, they are all seasons, so your performance isnt going to be rediculous. They are plenty of summer performance tires that make a difference over stock......
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboa51 View Post
proxes4 are all seasn, not summer tires. you will lose a little traction. as someone mentioned bump the psi up a few pounds over factory, read the tire pressure spec in the manual for for more guidance.
OEM tires for the OP's AWD car were A/S - either Conti SSR or Bridgestone EL42. Frankly, I was very unimpressed with the Proxes 4 tires on my E46 - the Conti Extreme contact DWS is a much better A/S non RFT tire.

As others have suggested, for less roll increase pressures about 3 psi over stock - but I'd return to stock pressures in the winter as these tires are not great in snow.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
jmgsxr
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335 xi

Yes my stock tires were a/s conti ssr, I will try bumping the tire pressure I don't have a manual but tire pressures are listed inside the door.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Even all-season run-flat tires have pretty stiff sidewalls so it does not surprise me too much that you are feeling a difference. Of course the car isn't rolling any more as you didn't change the suspension. What you're feeling is the effects of having a softer sidewall.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0