Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > BMW mobility kit or spare tire?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

BMW mobility kit or spare tire?

Just got VB3s and non rfts. Need something in case of a flat. What do you guys have? The spare tire or mobility kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Going to do the same(Switch to non)Will get either full size spare or opt for the Donut.Don't care for that kit at all...Spraying that gunk into the tire not for me plus the former 2 offer more peace of mind.Know what i mean??Good-Luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Vesar
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 320i Ε92 M-Sport

Garage List
2007 BMW 320i  [10.00]
Imma switch to non runflats too. They are useless and very heavy tyres
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
BavAuto spare kit.
Attached Images

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

"BavAuto spare kit"

+1 -- we got it, too. But note, you don't have to keep the tools in the bag like this. There are molded spaces under the trunk mat that fit the OEM tools exactly, including the jack. You don't really lose as much space as this pic implies -- you can store things like gloves, spare oil, compressor, etc. in the wheel well, and there is still enough room above the tire for a regular-sized rollaboard suitcase. Paper grocery sacks will still fit between the the tire and the end of the trunk, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Joined AAA and will get towed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Mobility kit here. Trunk space is way too precious to be taken by a bulky ol' tire. Besides, worse comes to worst I have BMW roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got the Safety Spair kit from Slime.

Roads here are full of sharp objects & I get a flat like once a year. A rate that's Nothing to worry about.

Sharp objects could cause a flat are usually on the sides of the road, just avoid driving too far left or right & dont parking too close to the curb & you'll be ok.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Get the BavAuto tire kit. Me and 4 other friends ended up having to cram into one of our coupes on the way home from a road trip. Non runflats, and a can of fix-a-flat. 15 minutes on the road home, and the tire pressure sensor goes off. We pull off at our next stop and whip out the fix a flat, then follow the directions. Hit the road again, about 15 minutes later the sensor goes off again. We did this about 4 more times until the tire was totally gone. We had gone a few miles in an hour, but thankfully got stranded in a decent town. We called home and got a guy we knew to drive down with my buddies old set of wheels and pick us up. Two hours later, he arrived. By now, the tension had finally dissolved, but when we first got stranded, it was pretty hairy. Two more hours later, we were home, finally. A 2 1/2 hour drive took us almost 6 hours, much stress, etc. The ironic thing was, while we were stranded, my friend got on bimmerpost on his phone and saw a question asking the same thing.
Moral of the story, get the spare that should have come with the car originally. Run flats are shit, and most shops can't repair them so you're still stranded, just 50 miles down the road.
We later tested the trunk space with the spare, we can fit all 5 of our weekend bags, 5 longboards, and a few pillows in the trunk, even with the spare.

Read: Get the BavAuto spare kit. Comes with a good jack, lug nut wrench, and a donut. Then get Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
tunachris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I carry a can of "fix-a-flat", a compressor, jack, and a plug kit in the cubby under the trunk. I have a Tishcer space saver spare that I carry on longer road trips.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #11
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

I dont understand why some of you keep saying RFT are not repairable.

My cousin's BMW equipped with an OEM RFT. He's got a punctured & got his RFT patched at a Mom & pop's shop on the front yard with super low tech equipment.
The process is EXACTLY as how to patch a non-RFT.

His patch-up RFT still runs fine.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Same dilemma...I did join AAA because I got a $40 offer, and I actually was going to join for $65. But they'll only tow you to their shop. The reason I got it was say if my 1998 Nissan cross member fell out due to the radiator support, there would be a way to get it off the road if it weren't on a highway etc.

But the BMW and our other new car has roadside assist anyway--that doesn't help when you're waiting 2 hours, yet I hate to have the trunk cluttered like that when I've never had a flat in 5 yrs.....what to do.....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
Read: Get the BavAuto spare kit. Comes with a good jack, lug nut wrench, and a donut. Then get Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Nice, because those are exactly the tires that I am wanting....I was thinking my snows in the shed are my spares, just how do I get a hold of one of them if I get a flat. If local, then just move the car out of the way, and have someone bring it to me. But too far from home, therein lies the problem....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I don't really want to wait around for help. I would rather change the wheel myself and go on my way. Unless I don't really want to get sweaty or dirty, or it's a dangerous spot to change a tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
I dont understand why some of you keep saying RFT are not repairable.

My cousin's BMW equipped with an OEM RFT. He's got a punctured & got his RFT patched at a Mom & pop's shop on the front yard with super low tech equipment.
The process is EXACTLY as how to patch a non-RFT.

His patch-up RFT still runs fine.
I've been told NUMEROUS times by Shop Foremans, Service, Managers, Finance Managers, and CAs that they cannot be repaired. I found it strange too.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
I don't really want to wait around for help. I would rather change the wheel myself and go on my way. Unless I don't really want to get sweaty or dirty, or it's a dangerous spot to change a tire.

I've been told NUMEROUS times by Shop Foremans, Service, Managers, Finance Managers, and CAs that they cannot be repaired. I found it strange too.
Honestly I was told the same thing, which really defeats the purpose of the run flat. It's expensive.

Otherwise, I've repaired flats on my Nissan myself. Feels bad reaming out a hole in a brand new RE960 A/S, but I had to. Been good ever since. And of course, on the 335 where I have tire protection, never used it in 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
Gerald Fabricatore
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Tasman Green

If you drive on a run flat with no air then it cannot be repaired. If you have a slow leak and the nail is inside the tread then it can be fixed just like any other tire. The reason why they say it cannot be repaired is because the repair shop cannot determine if you drove it flat so to be safe the tire manufacture and BMW says no
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Fabricatore View Post
If you drive on a run flat with no air then it cannot be repaired. If you have a slow leak and the nail is inside the tread then it can be fixed just like any other tire. The reason why they say it cannot be repaired is because the repair shop cannot determine if you drove it flat so to be safe the tire manufacture and BMW says no
Hmmm if this is really true it makes a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Daiz4yota
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 AW M8 Competition Coupe

Also have non RFT. I just carry a 12v compressor, and a can of fix a flat.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Mobility kit...

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Migelito
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535xi 2015

spare tire for me in a trunk works just fine. still able to go for a small-to-mid sized shopping and carrying a stroller in a trunk.
      09-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Fabricatore View Post
+1. I've got 4 plugs in one of my RFT's, and it works fine.

Only time you cannot fix a RFT is if the hole is too close to the sidewall, and side ribbing that supports the tire was damaged, or if you drove a lot on it, and the internals were damaged.

My guess is EVERYONE would say "oh, no, I NEVER drove on it, it was just flat in the driveway", so the canned "it cannot be fixed" comes to play.

I've got close to 20,000 miles on the plugs in mine, no issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
trk06
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no spare

Question

just like some of the members of this forum, i have fix-a-flat, plug, jack and compressor in the trunk.
here is my question
when you have to use the spare on staggered formation, how is it holding up? or how safe is it to use spare when you dont have square formation. ?