E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i turbo recon?

09-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

335i turbo recon?

My car is going in to Darren woods in 2 weeks to replace a leaking head gasket. This is a complete engine out job so as the cars now done 70k I'm having the head sent off for complete de-carb port & polish & a new clutch whilst everything is easily accessible.

As soon as she's back in one piece it's time for ETS intercooler and dp's then evolve stage 3 tune.

As I've already had new coils & injectors the only potential week part of the set up might be the turbos. Am I going over the top sending these off for a recon whilst I have everything accessible or do I wait until they start to show signs of wear further down the line?

Tony has recommended a decent UK set up that can do the job but it's around £700 to service them. http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/

I've asked Darren Woods to visually inspect the turbos for wear whilst the engine is out n I'm thinking if they look ok to stick with them and only recon if and when they show signs of wear.

What are your thoughts, do I recon anyway whilst thier easy to get to or save the money & put it towards the ETS intercooer & DP's?

Cheers H
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I would fit a pair of RB turbos whilst in there anyhow, and let her rip!

Your oem snails, if good, will fetch a good chunk to offset the cost.
      09-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post

Steve

I'm not really after crazy power n if I'm honest I'de rather put the money in to doing other upgrades.

Just trying to decide if I'm being over causious by doing a recon or if I should wait until they at least show signs of leaving the building. The head gasket, decarb & clutch are gonna be a right sting on thier own.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post

Do the RB turbos have UK support?
      09-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i E92 View Post
My car is going in to Darren woods in 2 weeks to replace a leaking head gasket. This is a complete engine out job so as the cars now done 70k I'm having the head sent off for complete de-carb port & polish & a new clutch whilst everything is easily accessible.

As soon as she's back in one piece it's time for ETS intercooler and dp's then evolve stage 3 tune.

As I've already had new coils & injectors the only potential week part of the set up might be the turbos. Am I going over the top sending these off for a recon whilst I have everything accessible or do I wait until they start to show signs of wear further down the line?

Tony has recommended a decent UK set up that can do the job but it's around £700 to service them. http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/

I've asked Darren Woods to visually inspect the turbos for wear whilst the engine is out n I'm thinking if they look ok to stick with them and only recon if and when they show signs of wear.

What are your thoughts, do I recon anyway whilst thier easy to get to or save the money & put it towards the ETS intercooer & DP's?

Cheers H
Is it worth doing a recon when new snails are like £550+VAT a pop?

What clutch are you fitting and are you doing anything to your dual-mass flywheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
Is it worth doing a recon when new snails are like £550+VAT a pop?

What clutch are you fitting and are you doing anything to your dual-mass flywheel?
I thought new they're over a grand each? If they are £550+ vat new then it's a no brainer. Still the question remains, do I swap them out whilst thier easy to get to or wait until they actually start to fail?

As for the clutch, just getting a standard one fitted as they're heavy duty anyway and I've not heard of them failing with the kinda power I'm gonna be running. 410bhp ish.

What are you suggesting with the flywheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Honestly you are like my long lost brother! I was interested in getting the head cleaned and Darren Wood explained the service and I was thinking of getting it done in a few months.

Mine has a boost problem so either it is a boost leak or turbo/wastegate issue. If it is the latter then I'm going for some Turbo Dynamics hybrid ones. I'm pretty sure Tony has these on his car and they cost £750+vat to recon the old ones depending on condition:

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/...5i_hybrids.pdf

And despite all the issues, mine rr'd at 410bhp exactly on Saturday. My car is booked in at Darren Woods the Saturday after next to hopefully get the problem sorted.

Lastly, I've heard a couple of American members mention that they had their dual mass flywheels resurfaced before fitting a new clutch. It's much cheaper than replacing it as they're pretty expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

You want to read this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318749
      09-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
335i E92
Captain
Rep

What boost problems are you having? I had a shit load of boost problems when i had my Forge DV'S fitted. Ditched them for a set of oem's for £50 and haven’t had a problem since!!

I’ve got alot of other things i want to do to the car on top of the stage 3 such as suspension & lsd so if I could get away with it then I’d rather not do anything with the turbo’s just now.

What I’m really looking for is opinions on whether I should be looking to replace the turbo’s anyway as they'll be easy to get to with the engine being out and have done 70k. OR, if I’m being over cautious and should only replace them when they show signs of wear in the future?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
Lol, just read all 18 pages. Tony takes it to another level completely.

I'm not even considering upgraded turbo's tbh, just contemplating a service on mine or even new stock one's if they look worn in any way as apparently they’re only £550 + vat each.

If they look ok on inspection when Darren & Mike open her up then i'll prob leave them, If however they look worn and badly carbonised i'll prob go for new.

I dont need upgraded turbo's as the car will never be tracked or pushed anywhere like Tony's.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I'm interested in these £550+vat turbos as it seems very cheap for brand new ones. Anyone got a link or details for them?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I'm interested in these £550+vat turbos as it seems very cheap for brand new ones. Anyone got a link or details for them?
335rocks, Where’ve you seen them at this price?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

£750 vat to recon each turbo seems really excessive...

Stage 1 doesn't add any more power either. 50-60 hp gain with correct mapping is true with stock turbos..
      09-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

If you are not looking to upgrade, the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" remains true..
      09-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
If you are not looking to upgrade, the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" remains true..
That's kinda what I wanted to hear, you still on your original turbos? From memory your car has similar miles to mine?They holding up ok with you higher tune n dp's?

By the way £750 was recon for both turbo's, very much hoping there's no visual signs of excessive wear when they inspect them as I'de much rather put funds to dp's tbh.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
335rocks, Where’ve you seen them at this price?
Checked the price with the dealers part department early this year to get an idea of what a replacement would cost. The exact price from my notes was £565+VAT a turbo. On top of that you'll have some minor costs for various parts used during the replacement. The price of the turbos dropped by quite a bit around a year ago. Before that they were like £1-1.5K a turbo.

Biggest issue with doing this on the car is the labour costs. I think book time is 11+ hours, so from an indy you would be looking at atleast £1000 in just labour costs. Then there is the question if the indy has the right tools to calibrate the wastegate actuators as adjusting the front one while on the car is near impossible. So you really need to check what the labour cost would be to replace these while the engine is out of the car.

Also if you plan to go with catless DPs, then you will hear any noise issues with the turbo's and wastegates. So if you have a rattle, you'll hear it immediately. The standard Cat's dampen this noise by quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
Checked the price with the dealers part department early this year to get an idea of what a replacement would cost. The exact price from my notes was £565+VAT a turbo. On top of that you'll have some minor costs for various parts used during the replacement. The price of the turbos dropped by quite a bit around a year ago. Before that they were like £1-1.5K a turbo.

Biggest issue with doing this on the car is the labour costs. I think book time is 11+ hours, so from an indy you would be looking at atleast £1000 in just labour costs. Then there is the question if the indy has the right tools to calibrate the wastegate actuators as adjusting the front one while on the car is near impossible. So you really need to check what the labour cost would be to replace these while the engine is out of the car.

Also if you plan to go with catless DPs, then you will hear any noise issues with the turbo's and wastegates. So if you have a rattle, you'll hear it immediately. The standard Cat's dampen this noise by quite a bit.
Thanks for the input, I had the wastegate acuators fixed last year and the 6mm rods upgraded with the new 8mm ones. Wastegates were also fully adjusted and calibrated by main dealer. When I get the dp's I'll be going for catted AR's so hopefully shouldn't get any wastegate rattling!!

Great to hear the cost or the turbos have come down. At least if they go in the future it's more like a 2k fitted cost rather than 4k.

Let's see how they look when the engines out and go from there, hopgully they look alright.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As for the clutch, just getting a standard one fitted as they're heavy duty anyway and I've not heard of them failing with the kinda power I'm gonna be running. 410bhp ish.

What are you suggesting with the flywheel?
Is your clutch slipping at the moment, feel worn or is this just a precautionary measure. With 410bhp you should be fine as long as you don't abuse it too much with drag strip launches. The standard clutch will probably hold up to around ~450-480bhp if your take care of it before it may start to slip, but at this power it will just be a matter of time and any serious abuse will result in it going.

The dual-mass flywheel (DMF) is really expensive and most guys that have fitted the ACT clutch had their flywheel machined to avoid any issues with the clutch slipping due to wear on the DMF. So having a perfect flat surface should improve it's grib reduce the chance of the new clutch slipping. If mine went I would be looking at replacing it with an ACT clutch as it should be good for 20% more hold, but I'll cross that bridge when time comes.

Did you check with Darren Woods on the costs of fixing this now vs later? If the parts and labour is low, then fair enough, but if the difference in labour isn't that high then I would probably just stick the money into a savings account and wait for it to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #19
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

No issues with mine so far.. It feels fantastic with the dp's and fmic.

I really need to get it on a dyno!
      09-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #20
335i E92
Captain
Rep

335rocks

The clutch itself is only around £150 and they'll put it in for free with the engine out its a 10 min job. If it was to go in the future its around £650 inc labour so its a no brainer ot get it done now at 70k.

Phil , can NOT wait for the stage 3. You gotten used to it yet or are you still popping out for random unnecessary items just to go for a spin??
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
335rocks

The clutch itself is only around £150 and they'll put it in for free with the engine out its a 10 min job. If it was to go in the future its around £650 inc labour so its a no brainer ot get it done now at 70k.

Phil , can NOT wait for the stage 3. You gotten used to it yet or are you still popping out for random unnecessary items just to go for a spin??
Thanks, good to know. At that price it's a no brainer..... only pain will be having to drive like a granny while you run it in.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #22
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Phil , can NOT wait for the stage 3. You gotten used to it yet or are you still popping out for random unnecessary items just to go for a spin?? [/QUOTE]

Im getting used to it "slightly". With a jb4 the boost remains at stock levels until the car is warm hence its easy to measure the difference it's made when it delivers full power. Kind of like unhitching a 1 ton trailer.

I had a passat up my chuff the other day on the m40 being an a-hole - drop to 4th gear - bye bye... I could have left it in 6th and easily blown him away to be fair.

Biggest issue at the moment is wet greasy roads, I'm gonna keep an eye out for winter tyres rather than LSD tho.