Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter Tires or Performance Winter Tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive

Winter Tires or Performance Winter Tires?

So I went to a local tire shop to get some quotes for winter tires, and was giveen a rather doom-and-gloom speech about getting performance winter tires (instead of plain winter tires).

For example, I was looking at Blizzak WS70, but shop guy keep trying to convince me to get Blizzak LM60 instead. According to him, sport sedans should go with H+ rating tires (performance winter tires) for higher speed and stronger tire well to avoid body roll; plain winter tires usually has T or R rating (plain winter tires).

Where I'm current located (Calgary, Canada), we get pretty harsh winter with fair amount of snow and ice, but we also get periodic "chinooks" that may last as long as two weeks, where temperature goes as high as +10 degree Celsius. Road tends to stay pretty dry during chinook.

To be honest, I don't really think I need performance winter tires. I try to drive safe and slower during winter time anyway, and when push comes to shove I rather have maximum grip on ice/snow for safety, and is welling to sacrifice performance.

Wondering if forum members can chime in your 2c and let me know if there is a proper justification to go with performance winter tires; keep in mind there's a pretty big price difference.

Last edited by BlueElectrin; 09-10-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

The salesman is WRONG and your intuition is spot on.

The LM60 are made from a more traditional compound with a winter tread pattern. This allows them to have a higher speed rating but worse performance on snow/ice. They are only really good for areas with milder winters. The WS70's are made from a dedicated snow/ice rubber compound. This results in a lower speed rating, but better winter performance! Unless you intend to exceed the tires speed rating, the WS70 is the superior winter tire.

I have a set of WS70's for my 335i and they are fantastic in the snow/ice. I usually have them on a few weeks before/after snowfall. They are perfectly acceptable on dry asphalt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueElectrin View Post
So I went to a local tire shop to get some quotes for winter tires, and was giveen a rather doom-and-gloom speech about getting performance winter tires (instead of plain winter tires).

For example, I was looking at Blizzak WS70, but shop guy keep trying to convince me to get Blizzak LM60 instead. According to him, sport sedans should go with H+ rating tires (performance winter tires) for higher speed and stronger tire well to avoid body roll; plain winter tires usually has T or R rating (plain winter tires).

Where I'm current located (Calgary, Canada), we get pretty harsh winter with fair amount of snow and ice, but we also get periodic "chinooks" that may last as long as two weeks, where temperature goes as high as +10 degree Celsius. Road tends to stay pretty dry during chinook.

To be honest, I don't really think I need performance winter tires. I try to drive safe and slower during winter time anyway, and when push comes to shove I rather have maximum grip on ice/snow for safety, and is welling to sacrifice performance.

Wondering if forum members can chime in your 2c and let me know if there is a proper justification to go with performance winter tires; keep in mind there's a pretty big price difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I use Dunlop Wintersport 3D's which work great on the cold roads, i've had them at speeds over 130. quiet and ride well. they did good in snow too but for where you are, something mored dedicated may be better
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

you are in Canada....and you are willing to sacrifice performance..... so ws70s are perfect. but on the other hand you have xi on top of that. if you wanna be 100% safe, get ws70s

I am from Boston and I like fast driving summer or winter, I also have rwd and drive to mountains often... I choose lm60s for performance....after all I buy cars for performance, not for slow driving

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 09-11-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
The answer really depends on your local conditions. I'm on the coast of Maine, and I will be using performance winter tires (Yokohama w.Drive) on my E91. But we usually have BARE roads. We get a lot of snow and ice, and it is cold, but we have lots of snow plows and lots of salt too! So cold and dry are the conditions 90%+ of the time. But I also work at home when I am not flying somewhere, so if the roads are bad I don't normally have to drive. I really only even bother with snows on that car in case I get caught out on a road trip. I want to keep as much of the BMWs fine handling as possible, while still having OK performance in snow.

Now that said, I have a set of good old-fashion knarly studdable (though not studded) snow tires (Hanook iPike) on my "wintah beatah" Volvo 945. THAT car is sacreficial, and if I have to go somewhere when the roads are bad that is the one. The Volvo is not exactly a high-performance machine with its mighty 112hp, so I don't care if the handling limits on dry pavement are reduced. It does have a locking diff though, and is pretty much unstoppable in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

what about Nokians? arn't they boss for winter tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Ctm309
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW Carbon roof DCT '11

Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
I use Dunlop Wintersport 3D's which work great on the cold roads, i've had them at speeds over 130. quiet and ride well. they did good in snow too but for where you are, something mored dedicated may be better
Yes, I had them too. Great tires.
      09-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

In your shoes I would go with the LM. You have an xi so getting stuck will likely not be an issue. The LM will feel more stable on the highway at speed and thus safer. I went with the pilot alpin for my xi in Boston and would do it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll probably go for plain winter tires for maximum grip/traction.

I think The "doom-and-gloom" speech from the sales person was over the top. Unless I'm driving to the limit (which I don't during winter anyway, not with black-ice everywhere!) I don't think I'll notice that much of a difference with plain winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
In your shoes I would go with the LM. You have an xi so getting stuck will likely not be an issue. The LM will feel more stable on the highway at speed and thus safer. I went with the pilot alpin for my xi in Boston and would do it again.
^^good advice

I'm no tire expert but i was told the same thing when i bought my LMs - the WS has a much lower speed rating and could be sketchy in the dry on highways. did you check out the user reviews on tire rack.com?

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep

It's not getting stuck I'm worried about. I got confidence in the xDrive, even with just all-seasons.

The number one concern about winter driving (especially in Canada) is always about breaking.

Breaking on hard-packed snow (slippery), and breaking on black-ice (even more slippery).

I don't travel on high-way often, and when I do, it's under 140 kph during wintertime. Most plain winter tires have T rating, which is rated for 190 kph, which I'll never get to anyway.

The only thing that really got me thinking was that the sales person mentioned that the plain winters have relatively weak tire wells, and are "mushy" and create lots of body roll while cornering. I do suspect that he's blowing it out of proportion, plus I won't be doing any extreme cornering during winter anyway.

Last edited by BlueElectrin; 09-11-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueElectrin View Post
It's not getting stuck I'm worried about. I got confidence in the xDrive, even with just all-seasons.

The number one concern about winter driving (especially in Canada) is always about breaking.

Breaking on hard-packed snow (slippery), and breaking on black-ice (even more slippery).

I don't travel on high-way often, and when I do, it's under 140 kph during wintertime. Most plain winter tires have T rating, which is rated for 190 kph, which I'll never get to anyway.

The only thing that really got me thinking was that the sales person mentioned that the plain winters have relatively weak tire wells, and are "mushy" and create lots of body roll while cornering. I do suspect that he's blowing it out of proportion, plus I won't be doing any extreme cornering during winter anyway.
What the dealer failed to mention is that they have an overstock on the "perf" tires or have a higher profit margin on them.

Have you checked Tirerack? They ship to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

speed rating is not how fast u can go on tires.... its how stable they are at all speeds. lower speed rating means softer sidewalls and softer compound. mushy = better in snow
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

How long do you want the tires to last? Either tire would do well around Calgary, right up to into the foot hills, anything further into the mountains and the WS would likely be the way to go. Keep in mind, the WS will wear faster than the LMs so you'll probably get a season or two less out of them. Once the softer grip compound on a WS is worn off, you're left with a harder base compound like the LM.

Check out Tirerack's comparison between WS, LM, Conti Extreme and Dunlop Graspic for more detail on the tires.

I run a fair bit of the 401 between Toronto and Montreal and also up the Ottawa Valley to North Bay and back, and there's about a 2:1 ratio of dry clear pavement to wet, snowy coverage. I went with a performance winter tire (LM-like) and happy with the choice. If I lived up in Northern Ontario year round, I'd probably go with a WS-like tire.

Either way, I think you'll be okay, especially with an xi.

Regards
D.
      09-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
^^good advice

I'm no tire expert but i was told the same thing when i bought my LMs - the WS has a much lower speed rating and could be sketchy in the dry on highways. did you check out the user reviews on tire rack.com?
The WS70's have T rating (118mph). How often do you exceed 118mph during the winter for extended periods of time?

I've taken the WS70's up to approx 100mph without any fuss whatsoever. They feel fine on my 335. They obviously aren't max performance summer tires, but all of the "mush", body roll, dry highway, etc. worries are absurd.

- The WS70 will outperform the LM60 in snow/ice/wet (especially ice).

- You are unlikely to notice much of a difference between the WS70 and LM60 on dry asphalt in winter conditions. How many of you truly push your winter tires? I've personally never had the WS70's break loose on me on dry pavement. Besides, if you live somewhere truly snowy, you probably drive / corner much more cautiously during the winter anyway (looking for melt / black ice, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
How long do you guys find your winter tires lasting? I've used my Dunlop 3D's for 5 full winters and am debating on getting new ones. They still have about 8/32 tread life left. I heard even though the tread my seem fine the rubber deteriorates over time. Opinions?

To the OP I prefer performance tires but then again Toronto doesn't see as much snow as Calgary.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
How long do you guys find your winter tires lasting? I've used my Dunlop 3D's for 5 full winters and am debating on getting new ones. They still have about 8/32 tread life left. I heard even though the tread my seem fine the rubber deteriorates over time. Opinions?

To the OP I prefer performance tires but then again Toronto doesn't see as much snow as Calgary.
This is a good question, i often wonder the same thing, it seeems as if they dont wear. lol. i have the same tires
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Had Dunlop's and now have Bridgestone's. The Dunlop's were all around a better winter performance tire IMO. Bridgestone's tend to get squirrely at expressway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

3rd set WS60 tires owner here, i do not look back.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I was in the same dilemma when I had to get winter tires for my car last year. It was between the LM60 or the WS70. I ended up choosing the WS70 since I don't have xDrive and live in an area where there are a lot of steep inclines. There wasn't a lot of snow last year, but it performed great when we did get our share and it never got or slipped. I even purposely try to slalom around empty hilly streets at night and the grip was unbelievable.

The LM60 would've been good enough w/ the xDrive since you'll have lots of help from the AWD. WS70 do feel a little soft when cornering, but I reprogram my brain to drive less aggressively in winter.

I purchased my set from Tirerack and shipped it to Bellingham.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Have to disagree here... I was using them last winter with no problems, and I live in the snow-belt as well. Car handled like a champ with the LM-60's.
Just because you found the LM-60 sufficient for your application does not mean that the WS-70 isn't a better winter tire. (see the tirerack reviews comparing the LM60 to the older WS60). The primary difference between both sets of tires will be on ice and packed snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
The LM60 would've been good enough w/ the xDrive since you'll have lots of help from the AWD.
AWD only helps you with positive acceleration. It does nothing for braking or lateral acceleration (cornering).

This is a must-watch video :

The LM60 would actually perform closer to the all-season in this video's ice test since it just uses high-silica rubber instead of the WS70's Multi-Cell compound.

You really are just trading off 12mph of top speed (118mph vs 130mph) for ice performance. Is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #22
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz17 View Post
...The LM60 would actually perform closer to the all-season in this video's ice test since it just uses high-silica rubber instead of the WS70's Multi-Cell compound.
That's a stretch...the LM60 and Pirelli 210 Sottozero top the Performance Winter tire category for Ice Performance, ahead of Mich Pilot Alpins, Dunlop 3D and Goodyear Ultragrip and others...

Regards
D.