Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ExtremeContact DWS

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

ExtremeContact DWS

Hello guys;

Anyone use ExtremeContact DWS all year round? I live in Pittsburgh so our winters are awful. I will be getting this on 19'' rims on my 335iXDrive. I really don't want get two separate setups if I can get away w/ using these year-round.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

i used them for one winter/summer, and was pretty impressed how they performed in the snow. you'll probably have an even more positive experience with your XI. their summer performance was pretty good as well. i replaced them for summer tires because i wanted more responsive turn in (which probably could have been solved with more front camber), but looking back, they were a great tire minus the soft sidewalls.

they seem to be a great value too.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

Not recommended. The DWS are summer only performance tire. They'll be sliding all over the place in freezing temp or snow. AWD won't do jack for you when you don't have grip from your tires. Get some all season performance tires if you want to just keep one set of tires all year around.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

My impression are DWS are all season performance hence the "S" for snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
Not recommended. The DWS are summer only performance tire. They'll be sliding all over the place in freezing temp or snow. AWD won't do jack for you when you don't have grip from your tires. Get some all season performance tires if you want to just keep one set of tires all year around.
that's DW, not DWS
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

I live in Pittsburgh also and travel extensively sometimes going through Somerset and Breezewood during the winter months. I was able to get by on the DWS with my xi and it wasn't much of an issue. On the other hand, my wife has performance snows on her g35x and it is a pretty drastic difference especially in turning and stopping power.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

DWS are fine for year 'round use. You'll give up a bit of steering response and ultimate grip but gain back a ton of ride and noise comfort. Not to mention better wet grip and double the tread life. All that said, Pittsburgh winters and 19"s on an e9X I hope you either a) enjoy looking at throughly knackered wheels or b) plan on refinishing your wheels every couple of years. Given your climate I would really, really advise the stock 19s April through October and some cheap 17s with all- season or winters for the rest of the year.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

I agree with Ninja. 19" in the winter is really a bad idea. Winter causes large potholes to appear on the road. There's a very good chance you will damage your wheels, with 19" being more prone than smaller diameters.

Get 17" wheels with dedicated winters, and enjoy the summer with the 19" and Summer UHP tires like the DW.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

I use them year around. They provide excellent grip for an all season, very quiet, excellent wet and snow traction. Unless you are planning to track your car on a routine/competative basis these tires are great!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I use them year around. They provide excellent grip for an all season, very quiet, excellent wet and snow traction. Unless you are planning to track your car on a routine/competative basis these tires are great!

I agree with your comment but I would have to say wet traction is "good" at best, possibly even below par.

But I'm comparing those with my last set of tires which were Bridgestone Turanza Serenity which were outright silly in the rain. I think my car actually handled better in torrential downpours than dry roads since they were so good in the rain.

Either way, these are a solid overall tire for a person who wants a jack of all trades but master of none.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Toad335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

Agree with the above two posts. Switched to the DWS's this winter off of stock runflats. The difference was phenomenal, and mine's a rear wheel drive. I didn't switch them out for the summer either. I really love the quiet ride and even the tread pattern. I think these tires plus the xi will ensure you'll be able to get around just fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotichamster View Post
Hello guys;

Anyone use ExtremeContact DWS all year round? I live in Pittsburgh so our winters are awful. I will be getting this on 19'' rims on my 335iXDrive. I really don't want get two separate setups if I can get away w/ using these year-round.

Cheers!
DWS, and drive sensibly. Driving sensibly is key with any winter setup.

They are on my wife's M-B E350 4Matic, but we're southeast of you (Leesburg). Nonetheless, they are awesome tires.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0