E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > help! what are these wires for?

11-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
maxmitchell
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi coupe

help! what are these wires for?

I recently installed an M3 style bumper, which came with different fog lights. I have the fog light adapters on order, and I got everything else together just fine, but I guess I was going a little too quick when I originally took the front of the car apart.
There are two wire pigtails (one on each side of the car) that are attached to the foglight pigtail wires about 10 inches or so from where they terminate. So when I plug in the fog lights, I have a pretty limited zone in which these mystery wires could connect. Despite that, I cannot for the life of me figure out what they plug into. I searched around on both sides of the car, but no luck.

Does anyone know what these wires are for?

I also happen to be throwing a tire pressure monitor system code, is it possible these wires plug into a wireless receiver for the TPMS transmitters inside the tires? I thought the antennae for the TPMS system was inside the ECU...
I tried resetting the TPMS, but it will not let me because it says "inactive" which others have fixed only by replacing a failed TPMS sensor, so I don't get the feeling that this problem is related to these wires.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
maxmitchell
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi coupe

After doing a little more searching, it appears that my guess was actually correct. I didn’t see the TPMS receivers because the plastic liners they are connected to were not installed on the car! That was on awfully stupid thing to overlook!
Anyway, I am at work right now and can’t check this out first hand, but I bet this is the solution to my problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
You are correct - those wires connect to the TPMS wireless receivers that are mounted to the lower front of each front wheel well liner...

That is the reason you are getting the TPMS error
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0