BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Performance Software

It may be a repost but I am currently looking for a performance chip. It's seem like that almost no product on the market give significative gain (at the rear wheel) without modifying the intercooler etc etc. I was looking at the JB3 which give same RWTQ and 10 more RWHP over the stock 1M dinan doesn't seem to do much better. There is the one from mega speed for which they claim 420hp and 682nm but the torque figure seem to be exagerated. Anybody know if you have to do some other modifications to achieve these numbers? Otherwise is there some better option that don`t require any other modifications? As BMW never give the true HP number I would like to compare RW figures.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
It may be a repost but I am currently looking for a performance chip. It's seem like that almost no product on the market give significative gain (at the rear wheel) without modifying the intercooler etc etc. I was looking at the JB3 which give same RWTQ and 10 more RWHP over the stock 1M dinan doesn't seem to do much better. There is the one from mega speed for which they claim 420hp and 682nm but the torque figure seem to be exagerated. Anybody know if you have to do some other modifications to achieve these numbers? Otherwise is there some better option that don`t require any other modifications? As BMW never give the true HP number I would like to compare RW figures.
The truth is that all the piggy-back and "flash tunes" will yield relatively close performance gains out of the stock N54. Any given tune has to contend with the same restrictions and limited potential of the stock motor. Yes, some tuners will side more towards the "danger zone" in their tuning but again, the differences aren't dramatic. Also keep in mind that unlike the 135i/335i iteration of the N54, BMW has already taken a good bit of the performance potential the motor had off the table and into the N54B30TO in your 1M. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here.

Now, throw in some DPs, a fat FMIC, exhaust of your choice and maybe even an intake and the performance potential "ceiling" goes up enough to allow for a more dramatic increase in HP/TQ.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

It's true. I was pulling ignition timing on stock map from high IATs. Get an intercooler or run some race gas + JB4 if you want max flexability. Meth is awesome too.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
It's true. I was pulling ignition timing on stock map from high IATs. Get an intercooler or run some race gas + JB4 if you want max flexability. Meth is awesome too.
Slightly off topic, but where does everyone log the ignition timing, AFR, IATs. BT tool? Or is there a more mobile option?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Thanks for advices I guess I'm better keeping it stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

JB4, Procede and COBB all have logging capabilities.
Appreciate 0