E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Moving from SEA to ATL.. advice on dealerships.

05-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
kaushik52
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Moving from SEA to ATL.. advice on dealerships.

I'll be packing up my bags and moving to Atlanta over this week to make the "gateway to the South" my new home. Its going to be an interesting and exciting move, though it would have been more fun to just drive my baby all the way. Alas, corporate holidays and more important affairs take precedence (marriage?)!

With all that said, I'm wondering which dealership is the best place to take my business to?
I'll be living in Vinings but there is constant air travel (Hartfield-Jackson here i come) in my line of business, so South Atlanta isn't a bad option either. Here is a list of dealers (in no order) and I hope you can give me your thoughts and comments -

United BMW
Global Imports
BMW of South Atlanta
Nalley BMW

Thanks and I look forward to being in the Southeast!
      05-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

also try posting in the regional forum, you can probably get a better answer there from fellow ATL members
      05-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

I just bought my 335i from BMW South Atlanta. As far as I know, if you are flying out of Hartsfield, they will allow you to park and leave your car at their dealership if you are planning on doing repairs or maintainence (or heck, I think they will let you even if you aren't) and they will take you to the airport to fly out and pick you up. For any sales, look no further than Adrian Avila, he was nothing short of amazing as a CA! He gave me an incredible deal, gave me all kinds of advice as he is EXTREMELY knowledgable as far as ED and PCD, and even let me park my car at the dealership and personally drove me to Hartsfield when I flew out to Munich for my ED. Have not and will not be doing service there as I live in Mobile and go to school in Birmingham, however I would without a doubt. Good luck with the move!
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik52 View Post
I'll be packing up my bags and moving to Atlanta over this week to make the "gateway to the South" my new home. Its going to be an interesting and exciting move, though it would have been more fun to just drive my baby all the way. Alas, corporate holidays and more important affairs take precedence (marriage?)!

With all that said, I'm wondering which dealership is the best place to take my business to?
I'll be living in Vinings but there is constant air travel (Hartfield-Jackson here i come) in my line of business, so South Atlanta isn't a bad option either. Here is a list of dealers (in no order) and I hope you can give me your thoughts and comments -

United BMW
Global Imports
BMW of South Atlanta
Nalley BMW

Thanks and I look forward to being in the Southeast!
Welcome to Atlanta and you'll enjoy the Vinings area (that's where I live).

I can comment on two dealerships. Global and United.

My first BMW purchase was via Global (back in 2003), and I have used their service department ever since. I leased my E90 via United and do not use them for service due to distance.

My initial sales experience w/Global was great, and they were willing to deal however that wasn't the case when my lease was up. My sales advisor (who I constantly kept in touch with) said their new GM wasn't the dealing sort, so I walked and went to United (Roswell) via their Internet sales dept for my E90. Good experience with them too!

Global service I've found to be very helpful within reason. In otherwords they met MY expectations and I've always felt that I've been treated fairly.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
importsrhot
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Welcome to Atlanta! I live in Midtown, and the closest dealership to me, I believe, is Nalley BMW. And that is who I use for service. Can't tell you about the sales experience because I bought my car in Florida when I lived there (I recently moved to Atlanta after graduating from college, GO SEMINOLES! hehe). I think Nalley BMW is pretty good with their service department. I go to Richard Smith and he always takes good care of me. So I thought I'd give you a little bit of an insight about Nalley BMW since no one has made a comment about them yet! Goodluck and I hope you like Atlanta!

'06 330i - Alpine White - Terra - Premium
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Welcome to Atlanta...I live just up the road from you in Smyrna. My wife and I often dine at Garrisons in Vinings, which is an excellent restaurant, steakhouse, and bar. My wife's favorite bar is the Old Vinings Inn.

I bought my 335i from Garland Helton at Global Imports. He gave me the best deal--better than United, which would not meet or beat the offer from Global. Service wise, I have received an oil change after break in from Global, and that was $108. They gave me a 2007 328i sedan as a loaner, which is cool. Global's service dept. is always packed and so far I'm not 100% satisfied with the service from that dept. Garland is great, but my service experience (very limited thus far) is not as good as I expected from BMW. Again, its based on only one experience thus far.

If you will be flying often, that deal the above poster mentioned about getting a trip to and from the airport for using the South Atlanta BMW place is well worth it, because I will spend $40-$60 at the airport just for parking. However, commuting from South Atlanta to North Atlanta where you will be living can be complete and utter hell if the traffic acts up (though you may miss some of it using 285 to I-20). Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
toughluck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

At first, Global Imports were arseholes and treated me poorly when I was browsing. My experience improved as I purchased my car. There service department was fair but I had some very positive service experiences with them over the past year but I heard mixed reviews about their service department from others.

Welcome to Vinings, I live across the street from Global.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Here's another vote for Global. I bought my car at Global becasue they worked with me on the price, and Danny Castelano was super patient. And I drive 1.5 hours to do business with them! And as for service, they can get quite busy, but after my local dealer turned me down, it was Global that offered to replace my sorry A$$ runflats at no charge. For that, I give Global a big thumbs up.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Brett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC

Just figured I have to chime in and back up BMW of South Atlanta (and Adrian!).

The car service from the airport is especially nice if you travel frequently.

Global is (as many others mentioned) *extremely* busy. This is not because they do a good job, but merely because of their location. Over the 7 years of E46 ownership I have not been at all impressed with the service advisors and have changed three times. They have never given me a good price, I always had to counter. They never call me to let me know the car is ready, I have to call them. And I would often wait a few months and come in with a laundry list of "little" issues to find them completely ignore half of them. I am very glad to be done with them.

-Brett
      05-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
kaushik52
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Making a choice is tough.. but with people closeby its easy!

Thanks all for the info. I'll be living close to the Cumberland mall on Stonewall drive. It's great to see that there are quite a few of us in the area! As a matter of fact, someone two doors down from me has an E90 so if you are around here, you'll be seeing my car soon.

Based on the inputs, I think i'm gonna give South Atlanta a shot (I owe to all the work that Adrian Avila has been doing for some of u guys) and if the distance and commute is a factor, I'll think about it. Right now, the deal on airport parking sounds nice. Also, I believe they offer some new deal on the extended maintenance contract, correct? What are y'alls thoughts on that?
      05-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Roundelman
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335 (pending)

I can't recommend Global. Nothing but problems for me in the past. However, they're right down the steet from you. I would give South Atlanta a shot.
Maybe try both. Welcome to Atlanta. Wish I were swapping with you and going to Seattle. Love it out there. Hate it here.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I'm in ATL right now on business....funny, I've seen more Bentleys than E9x's here. 2 in Buckhead last night, and even a dealership in Roswell. But does this place close at 5 pm because all the tourist stuff seems to do that......
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Welcome to Atlanta! I think given your location Global will be very convenient for you. I bought and service at United but neither of their locations will be convenient for you.

For purchasing I cannot recommend Clive Perkins at United-Gwinnett highly enough.

I did not know about South Atlanta's airport parking program though. That is great info seeing how I sometimes feel as though I live at Hartsfield.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
south atlanta... theyve got adrian
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsrhot View Post
Welcome to Atlanta! I live in Midtown, and the closest dealership to me, I believe, is Nalley BMW. And that is who I use for service. Can't tell you about the sales experience because I bought my car in Florida when I lived there (I recently moved to Atlanta after graduating from college, GO SEMINOLES! hehe). I think Nalley BMW is pretty good with their service department. I go to Richard Smith and he always takes good care of me. So I thought I'd give you a little bit of an insight about Nalley BMW since no one has made a comment about them yet! Goodluck and I hope you like Atlanta!
Thanks for posting about Nalley. I plan on going there for service although Global is closer to me. I heard that if you don't buy your car from Global, you get second rate service.