E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > tips on vinyl wrapping interior trim

12-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
awoz87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328i sedan

tips on vinyl wrapping interior trim

So I picked up some matte dark grey vinyl to wrap my interior trim. The two pieces on the rear doors are done and look OK, not perfect though. The trouble I am having is on the curved areas, I have a heat gun which did help, but when I started on the small dash piece (left of steering wheel) it just was not happening, even with the heat. The vinyl gets all creased and not matter which way I pull when I lift up I just end up with creases somewhere else.

I guess I'm just looking for tips from those that have done it. Also, will the brand/type of vinyl I'm using make a big difference? It is pretty thin and stretchy when warmed up, but its some inexpensive stuff I got off amazon.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I use the 3M CF Fabric from PYSpeed and it was very easy to stretch over corners. No problem with creases. sorry cant help you on it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
frankgpass
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

you have to heat and stretch, heat and stretch. It takes a ton of patience. Also, for larger parts I didn't pull all the paper backing off at once, I did it in small parts as I applied it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
joker_20_02
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgpass View Post
you have to heat and stretch, heat and stretch. It takes a ton of patience. Also, for larger parts I didn't pull all the paper backing off at once, I did it in small parts as I applied it.
Sorry but that is not the answer at all. Its taking your time pulling at a 45 degree angle until it is smooth then laying it down with a squeege, and work in triangle sections instead of tackling it all at once, work a corner from the start outward, break it up into 3 triangle sections and work left right center.

Quality vinyl makes a HUGE diffrence in how easy it goes down.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

in addition to what he said ^, remember not to overheat and over stretch the vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
frankgpass
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker_20_02 View Post
Sorry but that is not the answer at all. Its taking your time pulling at a 45 degree angle until it is smooth then laying it down with a squeege, and work in triangle sections instead of tackling it all at once, work a corner from the start outward, break it up into 3 triangle sections and work left right center.

Quality vinyl makes a HUGE diffrence in how easy it goes down.
Oh my bad, I didn't realize that I didn't know how to do it. I should definitely go back and redo all my trim with your method.
Appreciate 0