BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Little problem after track event - need help

Track event last weekend. Two full days. Rained both days. Hawk DTC-70 pads. Stock wheels and tires. Was traveling this week and couldn't wash my filthy car until today. Brake dust appears to be baked on. It must have been a combination of DTC-70 brake dust that was wet when it hit the wheels, combined with some heat and sitting for 5 days. Whatever the reason, this stuff won't come off. I'm afraid to try anything abrasive. Standard wheel cleaner has no affect. If I scrub one spot for a few minutes with a wash mit and soap I can make some progress. And I can scratch it off with my finger nail, so I know if can be removed.

Any ideas what works good on baked on brake dust?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner FTW. Bar none the best wheel cleaner I've ever used. Check the cosmetics section of the forum to see if you can find any deals.

I love this stuff so much I bought a 5 liter jug of it. I keep a small spray bottle of it in the trunk and clean off the wheels if I'm near a hose.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner FTW. Bar none the best wheel cleaner I've ever used. Check the cosmetics section of the forum to see if you can find any deals.

I love this stuff so much I bought a 5 liter jug of it. I keep a small spray bottle of it in the trunk and clean off the wheels if I'm near a hose.
Is it spray-on, hose-off? That would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Hawk swears this doesn't happen any more but it's been a hawk pad "feature" since the HAWK BLUE.

The combination of the pad, water, and time (letting it sit for a few days)causes the pad material to rust.

I cleaned a set of my friends wheels with a light Brillo pad, but they weren't brand new wheels. It took a lot of elbow grease and i also couldn't get it all off. I actually cleaned the wheels because my friend didn't care to take the time and effort. I had borrowed his wheels and the rust I annoyed me so much I just went to work. At any rate, work quickly and you may have a chance at cleaning them up.

I'm not smitten by the hawk initial bite, so I've always avoided hawk pads because of this.

If the rust/dust is on the paint on the car, not sure what to recommend, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
...If the rust/dust is on the paint on the car, not sure what to recommend, sorry.
Maybe try oven cleaner - like in that other wheel thread.

I really like using P21S gel - wheel cleaner myself.

baked on brake dust - help

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=oven+cleaner
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

I run Hawks on my e36 racecar. And that gets cleaned immediately after a race or a trackday for exactly that reason. To get that stuff off is going to be one tough cookie!

The team that maintains my car explained it to me, as follows: These metal particles are extremely hot, when they land on bits of the car and they can actually melt into the clearcoat. If that happens... and you do not take care of it immediately, then there is simply no way besides scrubbing / sanding and repainting.

My e36 is a racecar... I honestly don't care if it has a few scratches. But I would never run Hawks on any car that isn't "track only".
      12-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
But I would never run Hawks on any car that isn't "track only".
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
I run Hawks on my e36 racecar. And that gets cleaned immediately after a race or a trackday for exactly that reason. To get that stuff off is going to be one tough cookie!

The team that maintains my car explained it to me, as follows: These metal particles are extremely hot, when they land on bits of the car and they can actually melt into the clearcoat. If that happens... and you do not take care of it immediately, then there is simply no way besides scrubbing / sanding and repainting.

My e36 is a racecar... I honestly don't care if it has a few scratches. But I would never run Hawks on any car that isn't "track only".
Ugg. I bought some degreaser and will try that. I also bought some tar remover and will give that whirl. Oven cleaner scares me but it may be a last ditch effort.

I have a set of track wheels that don't give me any trouble with my hawk pads. This was the first time I used my stock wheels since it was so wet and I used my street tires. I suppose the clear coat on the stock wheels could be contributing to the issue. And I get the theory that hot pad material can get cooked on, but last weekend was 40 degrees and 100% wet, with constant drizzle. I don't think the pads got much of a work-out. I think Mark is right, this stuff has rusted to the clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Try claying them.
      12-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post

Is it spray-on, hose-off? That would be nice.
Yes, it is spray on, hose off. How I usually use it is before I go through my local touch-free car wash I spray a the wheels down and let it sit for a minute or two to let it work it's magic and then drive in and let the water jets pointing at the wheels wash them off.

And to those saying P21S wheel cleaner if you go in the detailing forum you can find some comparisons between sonax full effect and P21S and the sonax wins.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Update?? Photos? Easy off for the win ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Easy Off is a last resort, start with clay and a light polish, then try a degreaser like Simple Green, then try a tar remover. If non of those work, Easy Off might be worth a try. I use Hawk pads for the track and try to make sure my wheels have a recent coat of sealant on them before track sessions.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
...and try to make sure my wheels have a recent coat of sealant on them before track sessions.
x1 before you track put a coat of armorall wheel protectant on them. The stuff works wonders
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here is what I'm dealing with - see pic below.

So far I've tried:

Greased Lightning degreaser
Griotts heavy duty wheel cleaner
Bug and tar remover
LCR rust remover
Vinegar
Gasoline
Oven cleaner - let it set for 30 minutes

Nothing is very effective. I suspect I could get it all clean with hours and hours of scrubbing, then be left with a damaged finish. The pic is one small section of one wheel. Even the lug holes are caked with this junk. Granted the rears are in good shape, but both fronts are trashed. I think I'm going to surrender and get my wheels refinsihed.

New question - what finish would resist baked on brake dust better, painted or powder coated?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Thanks for uploading the pic, as I have a feeling most don't know exactly what you are dealing with.

I was able to scrub without ruining the finish, but the spokes on the 5 spoke wheels I cleaned were still a pain and the little nooks and crannies were impossible. Working to get this stuff off will leave your fingers sore for days. I was kinda hoping the easy off would work for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep

I had the same issues on previous wheels. It will take alot of scrubbing, oven cleaner and simple green. The finish will survive this treatment a couple of times. Its very time consuming and almost better to just get them refinished. I found that the PFC material is not as corrosive when wet in comparison to the Hawks.
      12-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #18
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Is it spray on?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I would try some P21s Gel Wheel cleaner. Put it on and let it sit for a couple of hours. I would bet that would do it.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

'Wheel repair by Adam'. Located off of Harry Hines. They do excellent work and will cost about $150 ea to repaint. I've got a buddy that just had his M5 wheels done there and they look fantastic.

Also a place called Wheel Technologies off 35 is supposed to do good work as well.

Last edited by robertm; 12-19-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #21
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

Not that it helps now but I always liberally apply wax (not wiping off) to my rims prior to a track dry. It helps tremendously with the rubber and brake dust build up.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
'Wheel repair by Adam'. Located off of Harry Hines. They do excellent work and will cost about $150 ea to repaint. I've got a buddy that just had his M5 wheels done there and they look fantastic.

Also a place called Wheel Technologies off 35 is supposed to do good work as well.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone know which paint option would be best - paint or powder coat?
Appreciate 0