E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Won't Boot---- Then it boots?

05-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

I-Drive Won't Boot---- Then it boots?

Hey everyone... went to Dunkin Donuts this morning for coffee, everything was fine on the way. When I got back in the car and started her up the I-Drive screen stayed blank and then about a minute later I heard the DVD player try to read for a second and the I-Drive screen turned bright white for a second... after another minute this pattern would again occur. I tried turning her off and on a few times, same thing happening. I came back around noon as one of my patients canceled and I was going to run to the dealer and upon starting the car the screen came on. At the end of the day I-Drive started up no problem.... any ideas of what was going on? I couldn't eject the DVD during the above described cycling.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
If you get this resolved please let me know. I've had the exact same problem since late November last year. I'd wager that you were in Dunkin' Donuts for about three to five minutes.

When it happens you'll notice that the LED on the SOS button will blink when the screen does its blinking and you can't eject either the CD or the DVD. If you let the car sit for about 15 minutes it will reset. I think this is the key to finding the problem; some kind of computer register isn't getting set properly or has something to do with the DVD unit.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
winnibago
Long Roof
United_States
Rep
Drives: Automobiles

Garage List
I too, have the same exact problem..

2006 E91 Msport "330xiT" ---- 2009 997.2 Launch ---- 2019 G05 Msport w/ 3rdRow
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Did the problem resolve itself after trying the reset combo? That is, for a few seconds, hold down CD eject + DVD eject + volume knob.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Did the problem resolve itself after trying the reset combo? That is, for a few seconds, hold down CD eject + DVD eject + volume knob.
I've never gotten any results from using this "reset". I've tried a quick push, a couple of seconds, a few seconds, five or six seconds and nothing happens. my whole iDrive system was replaced back in December and, while the system functions most of the time, I still get this quirky activity.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Spirit
Rep
Drives: 325xi Sport Wagon

I have an appointment on Monday for this exact problem. My E91 has already been in once. They just updated the computer last time, but it still occurs. No stereo sound, blank screen, won't eject dvd or cd. I used the SOS button and they could not locate me. They showed me as being at the last place I stopped. The other problem I have is the moonroof. Sometimes it works other times it won't, until I shut off the engine for awhile. I hope taking it back in is not a waste of time.
      06-03-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
I have an appointment on Monday for this exact problem. My E91 has already been in once. They just updated the computer last time, but it still occurs. No stereo sound, blank screen, won't eject dvd or cd. I used the SOS button and they could not locate me. They showed me as being at the last place I stopped. The other problem I have is the moonroof. Sometimes it works other times it won't, until I shut off the engine for awhile. I hope taking it back in is not a waste of time.
Your iDrive problem sounds just like my December problem. In mine they first replaced one module but that didn't fix the problem. Then BMW AG authorized them to replace all modules and a bit of the wiring loom. At least that got the iDrive to function albeit sporadically. I've probably had two dozen times since December when the iDrive had it's temper tantrum but I just park the car for about fifteen minutes and it settles down. It's like a little child!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Your iDrive problem sounds just like my December problem. In mine they first replaced one module but that didn't fix the problem. Then BMW AG authorized them to replace all modules and a bit of the wiring loom. At least that got the iDrive to function albeit sporadically. I've probably had two dozen times since December when the iDrive had it's temper tantrum but I just park the car for about fifteen minutes and it settles down. It's like a little child!
Same thing with mine, no problem prior to install of 25.1.1 and now it has happened twice but then its fine if i go to start it later
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

I am still experienceing this.... attempts to boot... may or may noy boot.. may or may not start working, SOS light goes on and off along with it as posted above...

1. grr... the "3 finger" eject,eject,vol simultaneous depression release will start the cycle again...BMW splash screen and then cycling black and splash screen perhaps starting, perhaps not

2. used my bav auto OBD soft to clear all errors... that didnot work either

~Frost
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0