E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Urgent! Need Help

01-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Urgent! Need Help

Ive had a number of active steering malfunctions in the past. These malfunctions triggers the DTC to malfunction and it makes the vehicle drive as if it has manual steering.
The last time I had the active steering issue the steering wheel was not centered (right angle) and I could not reset it by turning off the ignition.
I took the vehicle in for service and they attempted to charge me $650 for an alignment and 2 hours to program the car. I refused to pay and told them that I was going around a jug handle when the car malfunctioned. I told them that i didn't hit anything and nothing was abnormal before it malfunctioned. My SA said the best he could do was charge me $149 for the alignment and that the dealership was going to eat the rest because BMW refused to pay. I refused because my vehicle had a $389 alignment less than 5K miles ago when I got new tires. After much debate, I paid that and again told him that the malfunction was not done by my driving.
So last night, I backed up out of a parking space and my AS and DTC malfunction. The steering wheel is again at a crooked angle and my car is in the shop. My SA advised me that BMW refused to pay for my earlier problem because the AS and alignment are to separate systems and that they believe that the alignment was off, setting off the AS. I know this wrong because I know i didn't hit anything or wasn't driving crazy. I have no way to prove this and I know that BMW is going to stick it to me again. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
ghosey115
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Black 330 M Sport

Garage List
Hi did you figure out what the problem was? I just had a very similar issue on my 330i in the UK. It has also affected the runflat monitor and if I use the cruise control it triggers a fault there too.

Car serviced at dealer today. They found corroded multiplug on the steering gear, cleaned it and reset everything but no success. BMW UK advised to replace steering gear at a cost of over £1000. Im thinking there has to be a common electronic fault which is triggering all of these sytems (DTC etc) to fail at the same time.
      01-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
JTILAK07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 CR.

Garage List
$389 for an alignment. must be on drugs man. sry to bash but that is just ridic. and as for problems. it can be as simple as a wire touching another wire, dirty connection somewhere, or bad steering angle sensor, or malfunctioning abs unit which is interlocked with dtc unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Umm... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622771

??
Appreciate 0