2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 535d M Sport auto

01-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

535d M Sport auto

It's not that I didn't previously know just how good the 535d is, but after spending a few hours driving the new M5 today, I have gained even further respect for its capability.
The M5 is breathtakingly quick and it handles like nothing else I've ever driven, but there's just too much noise and drama going on which detracts from appreciating its rapidity. Whereas the 535d, albeit nowhere near as fast, actually feels far more satisfying to drive, especially in mid-range acceleration - the thrust is quite simply amazing and, whilst not matching the M5's, it feels far more exhilarating because it's done in comfort and serenity.
I had early misgivings about the steering on my F10, but that's been resolved and, thanks to today's experience with the M5, I've ended up feeling even more satisfied with the car.
Given the funds, I'd have an M5 as a fun car, but for everyday use I'll very happily hang on to my 535d.
Appreciate 0