E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Going Downhill Quick, and Not the E9x

05-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Going Downhill Quick, and Not the E9x

This is a relatively new forum, the specific one in particular. Why is it that there is already so much allegiance and hatred at the same time? The way to better a vehicle is through collective discussion; not embattlement.

A thread without constructive input or with just pathetic bantering is meaningless. It relocates a site to being insignificant. Are there any moderators to control the drivel? I see things moved but never moderated.

I ask if someone disagrees with a statement, do so in a manner which supplies a valid and constructive counter point. The countless derogatory comments does belittle the make. It seems many are here not to enjoy or further their driving experience but rather to expound their e-penis.

Perhaps I am getting older and/or at the same time the younger crowd has no sense of decency. I just see to much Internet attitude which I am sure would never be backed when off the keyboard.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

The answers to your comments are easy.

1.) everyone on this forum is militantly passionate about their specific car/model. There are a few who routinely cross the line and attack, but the majority of E90Post members respect the variations (more or less) and live with others in relative peace.

2.) if the moderators did what you want (i.e., censor posts), everyone would leave because there would be no freedom of expression. Another board would pop up similar to E90Post and people would jump ship so fast it would make your head spin.

I understand what you are saying but we can't have it both ways. It's the age-old freedom of speech discussion. Everyone is on-board as long as they only hear opinions with which they agree. When someone crosses the line, people cry for censorship, but that defeats the basic purpose of the forum, to express opinion.
      05-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

I have been on forums and Listserv's for nearly fifteen years now and have seen multiple angles. But what gets me here, and I do appreciate your comments, is the immediacy of negativity.

After all, a forum is not a democracy governed by the amendments. It is a collective 'forum' intended to share ideas but with constructive responses. All of the battering is negative to growing the forum as new members will be turned off if they are seeking knowledge. If they are seeking drama, they have come to the right place.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
choatie88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX, Volvo XC90, McLaren 12C

Just add the problematic users to your ignore list... problem solved.
      05-26-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
we can all start by posting threads in the right forum....
you must be relatively new to forums.

GL
      05-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

I have a 2005 MINI and a 2007 e92. North American Motroring (NAM), a mini forum is full of constructive comments, collaboration, and intelligent discussion. When a new owner posts a question, no matter how ridiculous it is, others welcome him/her to the forum and try to answer the question. On the other hand, some people on this forum are more into flaming others, showing off and displaying their lack of sophistication than in engaging in meaningful discussion. I am a horrible speller and my grammer is so-so but after reading zillions of posts on this forum I feel like a literary genius. How can 17 year olds, without education and single digit IQ's afford a $50,000 car???
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
paulGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Scalbert I have to agree with you. I have been a Porsche Board forum member for a long time 6 speed online and Rennlist and Hang out at Ferrari chat. There is (generally) alot more respect for posters new and old alike over there but then the crowd is older.
But here things tend to deteriorate quicker and I think the crowd is younger.
I guess alot these 335s are gifts to some kids or something. But yea if we would just sit back and think about how the other guy/gal might take your post Before you hit the post button maybe the respect factor would get alittle higher. Its not hard to be nice

07 Z4M
06 4.8iS X5
07 GT silver GT3
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
come and play nice with us britishers... it's all very polite over here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

SJ
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I ask if someone disagrees with a statement, do so in a manner which supplies a valid and constructive counter point. The countless derogatory comments does belittle the make. It seems many are here not to enjoy or further their driving experience but rather to expound their e-penis.

Perhaps I am getting older and/or at the same time the younger crowd has no sense of decency. I just see to much Internet attitude which I am sure would never be backed when off the keyboard.
This is a similar argument used by the communists to prevent democracy from happening at certain regions/cities at this time.

To choose between being able to express my view freely versus someone "bashing" me afterwards for mis-understanding my point/comment, I would have taken the former.

Free speech rules!!! :rocks:
      05-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
scalbert,

There you are! So you picked up a 335i? This is Jesal (crazy sellout) from acurazine btw.

Also theres a reason why I dont have many posts on BMW forums but do on Acura ones. The age difference is huge on most and you will notice that right away.

This forum does have a lot of information though if you weed through the kiddish remarks. Theres also bimmerforums.com and bimmerfest.com which both have an older crowd to them. All these forums are different and they all have something that i can enjoy.
      05-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Deveray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i X-Drive Touring

I am new to forums but I agree with Scalbert. So many of the responses appear intended to establish some hierarchy or positional superiority by the poster, and there is often a pack mentality of attacking a silly post rather than helping out the idiot, sorry I mean the unfortunate unenlightened.
I don't agree with imposed censorship though - free speech is more important than preventing silly comments and we can always post balanced responses ourselves rather than letting the pack get on with their kill.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
1bade92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ultimate Driving Machine

Maybe I've been hanging out at an e46 site to remain unnamed, but I find myself cruising e90post.com more than I do the "others" just because of the simple fact that there is a much lower level of hostility and "douche-bagness" haha.

In all seriousness though, I guess that some moderation of the threads could help, but you can never rid the forums of stupid people. Maybe it's just my personality, but I just try to ignore the useless posts and concentrate on the ones that are of relevance to me.

Oh, and although I do agree that their are a lot of stupid "kids" on this forum (as well as others), I do ask you to try and remember that not all are the same. I myself am 20, have been working since the day I turned 18 and hopefully if all goes well I'll be done with my BA in Management within the next 1 1/2 years. Obviously I cannot afford a 40k or 50k car comfortably, I am just blessed with parents who both trust my maturity and have the financial stability to buy me the Ultimate Driving Machine. Although, maybe if I didn't buy a boat I'de pay for the car myself lol.

Basically, I understand this forum can be frustrating, but just try to ignore the stupid people, and give some credit to some of the members of the younger crowd on here that deserve it :rocks:
Appreciate 0