E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Dealer using my new car for test drives...

05-27-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Dealer using my new car for test drives...

My e92 coupe is due at the dealer within a week..., the 35 e92 is a rarity across the country to find on a lot. Because of my work, my car will likely sit for a couple of days before I can pick it up. Honestly...I don't think I should have to tell my CA that my car shouldn't be used for Test Drives...i'd think that would be understood....no matter how "rare" my car is...

How could I prevent this? Should I have to say something?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
If I were you, I would call my CA and specifically advise him that you do not want your car to be used for test drives. And make sure he understands. I'm pretty sure that will not be a problem. Just as long as you let him know.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
If I were you, I would call my CA and specifically advise him that you do not want your car to be used for test drives. And make sure he understands. I'm pretty sure that will not be a problem. Just as long as you let him know.
Will do...but is it standard practce to use a sold car for a test drive???
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

I would be PISSED if they let someone take my (specially ordered)car out for what is effectively a joy ride. I'd probably crawl over the table grab the CA by his 10 dollar tie and. .. well you get the picture. That is total disrespect on their part especially after waiting several months for this car. I don't imagine they would do the same for an M6 order so why should the 335 coupe be any different? I haven't heard of this happening yet, but I'm sure it's crossed the minds of some dealers. Maybe the best thing to thwart this is to go sign the lease / purchase papers before the car arrives on the lot. In the odometer disclosure section note that there should be under 10 miles on the car. That way if they do decide to let any jackoff who wants to see what all the hype about the 335i is you at least have some legal recourse.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I know for certain that my dealer would not allow this. I test drove a 335 from my dealer the moment he got one on the lot, it was not being sold to anyone cause they just got it in so I tested it. A few months later I wanted to test it again, of course by then there was not one to be seen let alone test drive. So my CA told me he would call me when one came in but said that when one comes in that it would already be sold and that I could not test it but he would allow me to look at it and would even let me sit in it. I did this and it was a red interior. Awesome in person but I could never live with that. lol

So my point is, my dealer said noone gets to drive a car that someone has a deposit on for special order but other customer's can look and sit in it. Now that I ordered one, I don't even like the thought of someone else even sitting in my car.

So yes I would make it clear as well that noone test drives it. I plan to do that as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
At my dealer, they keep the "sold" cars completely separated from the "other" cars. If your car is very rare, probably the worst that would happen is that it will be on the showroom floor with a "sold" sign in the window with the door locked. Granted, I've only seen that done at my dealer with M cars and the new Alpina 7 series.

My car sat at the dealer for a couple WEEKS before I could take delivery and it had less than 10 miles when I took delivery. But, it wouldn't hurt to reiterate to your CA that you don't want anyone driving the car prior to your delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
At my dealer, they keep the "sold" cars completely separated from the "other" cars. If your car is very rare, probably the worst that would happen is that it will be on the showroom floor with a "sold" sign in the window with the door locked. Granted, I've only seen that done at my dealer with M cars and the new Alpina 7 series.

My car sat at the dealer for a couple WEEKS before I could take delivery and it had less than 10 miles when I took delivery. But, it wouldn't hurt to reiterate to your CA that you don't want anyone driving the car prior to your delivery.
Yeah, same here. Levin BMW in Indiana makes sure no sold cars are ever test driven. But they did say it might be put on the floor with a sold sticker on it (which isn't really a problem as long as some little kid doesn't climb all over it).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Brett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC

Quote:
Not at any dealership I know. Infact, it *is* standard practice NOT to even let other customers IN the car. They can look from the outside, but that is absolutely it.

-Brett
      05-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
I know for certain that my dealer would not allow this. I test drove a 335 from my dealer the moment he got one on the lot, it was not being sold to anyone cause they just got it in so I tested it. A few months later I wanted to test it again, of course by then there was not one to be seen let alone test drive. So my CA told me he would call me when one came in but said that when one comes in that it would already be sold and that I could not test it but he would allow me to look at it and would even let me sit in it. I did this and it was a red interior. Awesome in person but I could never live with that. lol

So my point is, my dealer said noone gets to drive a car that someone has a deposit on for special order but other customer's can look and sit in it. Now that I ordered one, I don't even like the thought of someone else even sitting in my car.

So yes I would make it clear as well that noone test drives it. I plan to do that as well.
i'd be totally cool with somebody sitting in it...just don't push that start button!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Yeah when he called me to say come on down there is a 335 you can look at only I was hoping it would have been gray poplar but it was red/aluminum but it was a nice treat to be able to sit in it and see that color combo in person. I never asked to start it since I knew it was someone elses car. It all worked out for me anyhoo cause the day I went back in to order they had a convert on the lot with gray poplar went out to look at it and that sealed the deal for me I knew I wanted that w/ black dakota. I usually don't buy a car after 1 test drive but there have not been any 335 down here in S.FL to test, there just too rare to come by. I'm still nervous about buying since it's been so long since I test drove it, I'm almost forgetting what it was like. From what I can remember I loved.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe

i'd go ape shit of some CA tried pulling some wack ass shit like that on me.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My car was delivered with 7 miles on the ODO...I worried for nothing
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #13
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

7 miles? I would worry.

one of the service guys probably took your car on a joyride down
Sunrise hwy

my car was delivered with 2 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #15
david2006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
7 miles? I would worry.

Sunrise hwy

wow 2 miles?? that's the lowest I've heard on pickup; i was getting ready for around 10 when I pick up my ride
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
7 miles? I would worry.

Sunrise hwy

You probably saved on the trip back and forth from the showroom...

BTW...the finance guy got into a wicked argument with some girl who worked in the showroom while I was there. Pretty funny stuff...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #17
Rocket07
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 94Ford Probe GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2006 View Post
wow 2 miles?? that's the lowest I've heard on pickup; i was getting ready for around 10 when I pick up my ride
Yeah...I'm pretty pissed my car had over 20 miles on it when I picked it up...I thought it was understood the car was sold and no one else would drive it. The sales receipt said the car had 13 mile but was dated 5/31/07. I picked up 9 days after that and the told me the car came in two days prior to my pick up. The dealer I went to are a a$$es I wouldn't put it past them if they used it to test dirve or joy ride...but what can I do? Any thoughts, or am I just over reacting?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #18
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket07 View Post
Yeah...I'm pretty pissed my car had over 20 miles on it when I picked it up...I thought it was understood the car was sold and no one else would drive it. The sales receipt said the car had 13 mile but was dated 5/31/07. I picked up 9 days after that and the told me the car came in two days prior to my pick up. The dealer I went to are a a$$es I wouldn't put it past them if they used it to test dirve or joy ride...but what can I do? Any thoughts, or am I just over reacting?
Have they justified why there were 20 miles? 20 miles for an ordered car is alot. I had 7 miles, but that is because I had the OEM rear spoiler installed, and they had to take it somewhere to install.

It would SUCK if someone's car were used for test drives. I took the car I test-drove from 5mph to 100mph on the freeway onramp LOL... and I braked SOOO---> hard to see how the brakes would react. But of course, I was completely satisfied with the performance, and thus I bought one... but NOT the one I test-drove LOL...
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #19
Rocket07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Have they justified why there were 20 miles? 20 miles for an ordered car is alot. I had 7 miles, but that is because I had the OEM rear spoiler installed, and they had to take it somewhere to install.

It would SUCK if someone's car were used for test drives. I took the car I test-drove from 5mph to 100mph on the freeway onramp LOL... and I braked SOOO---> hard to see how the brakes would react. But of course, I was completely satisfied with the performance, and thus I bought one... but NOT the one I test-drove LOL...
Unfortunately I realized the mileage after I signed the papers and got in the car...haven't spoke to them yet, but they are probably just going to lie to me. The contract date is all wrong too! Any suggestions of what I should do...feel very wronged
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #20
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket07 View Post
Any suggestions of what I should do...feel very wronged
be quiet and enjoy your car
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
be quiet and enjoy your car
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #22
Rocket07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Got over it...figure the car is made to handle whoever used it...that's what the warranty is for, right?
Appreciate 0