E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 10Watt Cree Angel Eyes

Closed Thread

01-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

10Watt Cree Angel Eyes

close

Last edited by E3r2E9r; 01-30-2012 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r
Anyone purchase these yet?

Look promising considering the 6 watt were so popular.

My buddy at college has an E60, and he's planning on getting these. Could be a little while though, he wants to wait till the spring to do it.

I say do it! If my car took these I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

They look super. They will also be great for those with halogen headlights, using Valeo bulbs.

Last edited by matrix76; 01-24-2012 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
My buddy at college has an E60, and he's planning on getting these. Could be a little while though, he wants to wait till the spring to do it.

I say do it! If my car took these I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Oh nice. I wonder how the compare to Lux. Anyone know how many watt the lux are?

Here is the link... http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nebmwaneyupw1.html
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
Oh nice. I wonder how the compare to Lux. Anyone know how many watt the lux are?

Here is the link... http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nebmwaneyupw1.html
Oh wow! They must have just put the 10-Watt E90/91 ones up. Good to know...
Well I'd be willing to bet that these 10W units are going to be just as bright, if not brighter, than the LUX 5.1's. IMO, a bench test is in order!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90n52b30 View Post
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but making the light source brighter won't impact daytime visibility much. The E90 rings work on the concept of escaping light. The grooves on the back of the OEM rings allow light to escape. This escaping light is diffused by those grooves and they make the rings "glow."

I talked to Marc (LuxAngelEyes) awhile back before I made my custom angel eyes and he has tried putting over 1500 lumens through the OEM rings, which is MUCH MORE than what these "Cree" units are producing. These are knock off Cree leds and not even genuine Cree products. They may be producing AT MOST 400 lumens.

Bright daytime visibility out of the OEM e90 rings will never be a possibility, unfortunately. Since the light escapes from the BACK of the rings, it's self explanatory as to why we can't see much light during the day as it is going into the housings, not out in front where we want to see the light. The fact that the color temp of 5000K is so close to the spectrum of daylight (5250K) doesn't help either.....thus the washed out look.
According to HPB these are not knock offs as I've already asked. They have documentation from the manufacturer if you choose to view it. Just email them as I have.

Everything else you said does make sense but these should be a slight improvement over its counterpart. I understand you know what your talking about as I've seen your old post before.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90n52b30 View Post

I talked to Marc (LuxAngelEyes) awhile back before I made my custom angel eyes and he has tried putting over 1500 lumens through the OEM rings, which is MUCH MORE than what these "Cree" units are producing. These are knock off Cree leds and not even genuine Cree products. They may be producing AT MOST 400 lumens.

I'm not sure how you can distinguish what is "real" and what is a "knock off" by a simple picture of output.

However, we expected these sort of remarks and already came prepared to prove the naysayers that they are incorrect. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Here are some picture of the units:

Anyone who knows Cree knows what sets them apart and what to look for. Feel free to compare to other Cree LED you've seen before.

If you guys can please keep this civil it would be appreciated. These have also been shown to be brighter in the day time compared to the 6Watt.

Regardless of all the Cree talk these are nice improvement.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 01-25-2012 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

This looks like exactly what EAS used to do when they were trying to sell their angebright or whatever they're called. Look at the picture, the 10w bulb is aimed further down than the 6w bulb so of course the reflection off the surface will be greater.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
eyelobes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Lol, Busted!! 0.0
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor
Quote:

This looks like exactly what EAS used to do when they were trying to sell their angebright or whatever they're called. Look at the picture, the 10w bulb is aimed further down than the 6w bulb so of course the reflection off the surface will be greater.
I don't quite get what you're talking about...I mean yes, but if you look at the designs of these products, the reflector is slightly different, so the beam pattern will also be altered. But just by looking at the most intense part of the beam, you can see that the 10 watts are clearly brighter. If the 10 watts are angled "more down" then shouldn't the beam extend less far out?? I'm just saying, these are bright, HPB doesn't BS their customers like some other vendors do, plain and simple. If their pictures are showing the 10watts to be this bright, then they are going to be this bright.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I don't quite get what you're talking about...I mean yes, but if you look at the designs of these products, the reflector is slightly different, so the beam pattern will also be altered. But just by looking at the most intense part of the beam, you can see that the 10 watts are clearly brighter. If the 10 watts are angled "more down" then shouldn't the beam extend less far out?? I'm just saying, these are bright, HPB doesn't BS their customers like some other vendors do, plain and simple. If their pictures are showing the 10watts to be this bright, then they are going to be this bright.
The source of the light is clearly facing down towards the ground though...think of it this way, if you have a flashlight, and you point it at an angle towards the ground, the light (on the ground) will look brighter than if you hold it parallel to the ground. I think the other poster is saying that is what is at play here. The 10W may well be brighter, but the picture is still taken to MAKE the 10W look brighter than it actually may be.
      01-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

It's a shame a few people have to come in here and cloud this thread as far as possible from the truth.

It's a shame I have to go out of my way to disprove the naysayers and the nonbelievers all the time.

I come into this community with the most genuine intentions for members yet they insist on criticizing vendors and literally dumping on where they eat.

I go out of my way with HPB to ensure you guys are getting the best of the best and constantly insisting on better and better solutions for you guys.

With remarks like the above it only deters is for seeking out better products for you guys.

I teamed up with HPB because I know them and know what they stand for. They listen to their customers and only provide the highest quality and fair pricing.

I know this and I've seen them turn away shoddy items and whatever else at the flip of a switch to ensure their customers are not left with a bad taste in their mouth.

I am aware that there are many vendors out their selling lighting and other stuff with the intention to make a quick buck or to scam you guys and I'm on your side with that. Please dont confuse us for being one of those people.

We have a great reputation on here and many followers who have used all of what we have to offer in our lineup to the community.

IF you have any questions please feel free to email me or HPB directly to clear any confusion and questions.

We would kindly ask that you prove your theories instead of pouring in spoiled milk with no proof and just hearsay.

Here are the facts:

-These are Cree LED and have been proven.
-The 6Watt option is not Cree LED we never said they were.

As far as the pictures and the remarks about them there seems to be some vivid imaginations. The pictures clearly depict not only a lengthy output, but a wider beam pattern, strong focal point and overall brighter and whiter then the 6 watt option.

I challenge ANYONE in the local N-NJ area to come see these in person. If anyone with an E90 in the area wants to test them out in person we will discount them for you also.

Please PM me.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 01-25-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep

Thanks for ruining my thread fdriller. I'm closing this thread now because everything need to turn into a pissing match over stupid LED.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
robreed27
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M SPORT 2012

Do they just fit pre lci xenon or do they fit lci halogen because they look the same fit as my 6w led I have in my lci halogen? Thanks rob
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for ruining my thread fdriller. I'm closing this thread now because everything need to turn into a pissing match over stupid LED.
I know...it's a bummer. And HPB is the LAST vendor that deserves this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreed27 View Post
Do they just fit pre lci xenon or do they fit lci halogen because they look the same fit as my 6w led I have in my lci halogen? Thanks rob
They will fit the LCI halogen, with some minor modifications--nothing too advanced, if you can install the bulbs, you can make the modifications. See this DIY thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285855
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
It's a shame a few people have to come in here and cloud this thread as far as possible from the truth.

It's a shame I have to go out of my way to disprove the naysayers and the nonbelievers all the time.

I come into this community with the most genuine intentions for members yet they insist on criticizing vendors and literally dumping on where they eat.

I go out of my way with HPB to ensure you guys are getting the best of the best and constantly insisting on better and better solutions for you guys.

With remarks like the above it only deters is for seeking out better products for you guys.

I teamed up with HPB because I know them and know what they stand for. They listen to their customers and only provide the highest quality and fair pricing.

I know this and I've seen them turn away shoddy items and whatever else at the flip of a switch to ensure their customers are not left with a bad taste in their mouth.

I am aware that there are many vendors out their selling lighting and other stuff with the intention to make a quick buck or to scam you guys and I'm on your side with that. Please dont confuse us for being one of those people.

We have a great reputation on here and many followers who have used all of what we have to offer in our lineup to the community.

IF you have any questions please feel free to email me or HPB directly to clear any confusion and questions.

We would kindly ask that you prove your theories instead of pouring in spoiled milk with no proof and just hearsay.

Here are the facts:

-These are Cree LED and have been proven.
-The 6Watt option is not Cree LED we never said they were.

As far as the pictures and the remarks about them there seems to be some vivid imaginations. The pictures clearly depict not only a lengthy output, but a wider beam pattern, strong focal point and overall brighter and whiter then the 6 watt option.

I challenge ANYONE in the local N-NJ area to come see these in person. If anyone with an E90 in the area wants to test them out in person we will discount them for you also.

Please PM me.
Have these for PRE LCI E90? Brighter than Lux 5.0?
      01-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Perhaps do a comparison in some housings, much like Lux has done, to show true output difference that will be seen on vehicle. That will prove true effectiveness. Otherwise, this forum often attacks theories until proven.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringsMoreWomen View Post
Have these for PRE LCI E90? Brighter than Lux 5.0?
Yes it fits. I dont know about LUX so I'm not sure. Someone would need to test that. We are not here to step on toes.

Fits the following BMW Models:

Fits E90/E91 2006 - 2008 BMW 3 series Sedan and Wagon with xenon headlights.

For the other guys there is a DIY to make them work if they choose that route. HPB will not be responsible for any complications if you choose to dive into that DIY though.

Quote:
I know...it's a bummer. And HPB is the LAST vendor that deserves this...

They will fit the LCI halogen, with some minor modifications--nothing too advanced, if you can install the bulbs, you can make the modifications. See this DIY thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285855
Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Perhaps do a comparison in some housings, much like Lux has done, to show true output difference that will be seen on vehicle. That will prove true effectiveness. Otherwise, this forum often attacks theories until proven.
We will keep it in mind but with the track record here shows that someone still won't be satisfied no matter how hard we try, very sad. I think what some people fail to realize is we are just bringing options to the community. There can be only 1 best and 1 worst. I think people need to realize options are in place for people with different goals in mind so not every scenario will be ideal for most people.

If people can see past that then they can realize for this price point and the hardware used inside it will produce a nice output. As previously mentioned, considering an off brand 6watt was so popular it should be easily deduced that a 10 watt high quality cree LED should be marginally better at a MINIMUM.

It's also worth mentioning no matter how bright you make these LED's that there are certain drawbacks that we simply can't recover from. Poor angel eye housing design and the fact that the LED output is the same color hue as the sun. We just cant overcome physics.

If you look at the late model angel eyes today they are not pure white, and for a reason.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 01-27-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Most people don't realize that the brand of the LED is only a small part of the package. The most important thing is the design and quality of the driver. LEDs rarely burn out, it's the inferior drivers that fail over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Jeff any photos of these in a car? maybe compared to OEM. Curious the output compared to the MTEC v3 I have. I assume alot brighter. Would be cool. Any intro pricing?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Zasquatch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
In my testing of the MTEC v3's (with 6W cree) vs. the LUX 5.1's, the MTECs were way brighter. I don't doubt for one second that LUX uses quality LEDs. The main difference I noticed between the two bulbs was the standoff between the bulb and the end of the angel eye fiber optics. I believe that is the main driver of brightness aside from quality LEDs/drivers. The MTEC's sit a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch closer to the fiber optics than the lux do.

Jeff, these appear to be a nice step up in power, and look like quality units. I would be curious how the housings compare to the MTECs. If the standoff between the LED side of the mounting ears to the actual LED is similar to the MTECs, these should prove to be the brightest option out there.

I would be more than willing to do a comparison between these and the MTEC v3's, but not so willing to throw down cash to do so lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Curious what the black box is by the wires in the photo for the AE on hPB website? Not a bad price if they turn out to be as bright as they have the potential to be.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread