E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Review: Alpine HID Angel Eyes

01-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Review: Alpine HID Angel Eyes

Alpine HID Angel Eyes Kit

Hello everyone! Today i have a review of the new Alpine HID Angel Eyes Kit purchased from:

http://www.alpinemss.com/product_p/hidan.htm

Contact Alex @ Alpine if you need any help, tell him Eric sent you! (He was VERY helpful during ordering AND installation)

Installation

I received the kit in a small box, only about 3 days after i placed my order. The kit was packaged well, with no visible damage to report. I opened it up, pulled up the Alpine website, and followed their instructions on the videos.

The videos that Alpine has currently have one extra step you dont need to do (the grounding you dont have on the new kits). The parts are identical to the old videos minus that one bit.

The install was a breeze, except for putting the new bulbs into the housing. I got them in, but i didnt grasp the "twist and push" concept for a while, it was a pain until i looked at the other bulb and saw the three prongs that had to slide in. Light number 2 went in much easier (15 minutes). Besides getting the bulbs snug into place, the installation was easy. It took me about 2 hours (with about 45 mins dedicated to the bulbs). Knowing what i do now about the car, id say it would take me 30/ 45 mins to do it for someone else (or if you've been changing the angel eye bulbs before).

The kit was seemingly well put together, with secure wiring and "idiot proof" connections (You cant mess the connections up, only certain ones fit with others).

I ended up zip-tied my wiring down my own way (in case i need to take it out for an emergency dealership visit). Ill attach photos. If you see anything "dangerous" as in a wire that should not been near something that will get too hot, just tell me please! I opened up the hood after a 30 min drive thru florida heat and the kit as very hot lol

Here are some pictures:
Name:  editted left side-Optimized.jpg
Views: 4698
Size:  108.5 KB

Name:  P1030097-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4789
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  P1030098-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4695
Size:  155.9 KB

Name:  P1030099-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4654
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  P1030101-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4607
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  P1030107-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4649
Size:  124.2 KB

The Results!

Well, i installed them at around 7 PM. I hit the "unlock" button, and only the right side went on. I was baffled, so i opened it back up, heard the right side ballast humming along, but the left side was not. So i unplugged the ballast, replugged the harness -> ballast connection snugly, re-fired, and they were both on!!!

It was semi-dark out, in the garage, and the lights looked amazing! My first thoughts were that i was very impressed. They were relatively even and very very bright. They had a white with very very slight blue to them (im glad i went with 8000k, i almost might order 10000k to have too).

Today, i got to experience them in the light of day. One experience i had was at 12:30 in cloud-less Florida sunshine on blacktop at McDonalds. What i noticed was that the rings were barely visible in that intense sunlight. Then again, it hurt to look around b/c it was so bright out. So i drove home and when i was in 20% shade i turned the car back on and i took some pictures! Heres the results! Scroll below the pics to hear what they look like in reality, these pictures are not exactly what they look like in person .

Before you view them, know this: They are NOT green in any way at all, and these photos show a much bluer/greener light than in person. In person they are pitch white with a slight blue tint
Name:  P1030095-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4711
Size:  166.4 KB
Name:  P1030096-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4541
Size:  145.4 KB
Name:  P1030093-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4644
Size:  217.2 KB
Name:  P1030094-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4856
Size:  189.2 KB
Name:  P1030104-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4557
Size:  107.0 KB
Name:  P1030112-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4592
Size:  169.5 KB
Name:  P1030113-Optimized.JPG
Views: 4496
Size:  154.7 KB

My thoughts on this product:

The lights looks great when looking at them dead-on at an even level with the headlights. Unfortunately, when you look at them from nearly any angle during the day, the outside ring of one or both of the headlights will look nearly un-lit. The inner rings are definitely brighter than the outside rings. At night, the outer rings also look lighter, but you can tell they are well lit.

My question: How do i fix this? What can i do or manipulate to make the outside rings more even?? That is my only complaint

Other than that, the install/product is working great! Will update as time goes on! Nighttime pics later tonight hopefully!

Thanks to Alex @ Alpine!

-Eric
      01-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Very Informative, Thanks For The Review.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Hey Eric

Thank you for your great review, the reason the inner ring is brighter is because the factory Angel Eyes housing, if you pay attention to even a stock E92 the inner ring is brighter, so when going with such a bright set up the inner ring is more noticeable. But if you walk about 15-25 feet away from the car they will look almost even, it is only when looking closely at them they look not even, and no one really walks up to your car and looks closely it is mostly passing drivers and people walking who view your bright noticeable angel eyes coming
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Hey Eric

Thank you for your great review, the reason the inner ring is brighter is because the factory Angel Eyes housing, if you pay attention to even a stock E92 the inner ring is brighter, so when going with such a bright set up the inner ring is more noticeable. But if you walk about 15-25 feet away from the car they will look almost even, it is only when looking closely at them they look not even, and no one really walks up to your car and looks closely it is mostly passing drivers and people walking who view your bright noticeable angel eyes coming

thanks Alex! yes i agree that after 10 ft or so, they all look even and nice

i went to a ricer meet (well, ricers and only a few nice Evos/335i's) and when i was driving thru, some highly modified Acura owner was like 'sick lights bro' lol

Last edited by Eric335; 02-23-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

looks great
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
youmeill
Rep
Drives: nissna

Thank you for your great review, i agree that after 10 ft or so, they all look even and nice
      02-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Looks great! I dig the daytime brightness...but is it overpoweringly bright at night? That's my only concern.

Also, you should get some LED turn signals for this car! It would look much nicer when the headlights are off (no egg yoke look!). Go with the HPB 7.5W ones if you do--brightest on the market!

And another tip--you got black kidney grills from what I understand. You should spray your lower grills gloss/matte black to match! It's cheap to do but it will make the front of your car "flow" much more nicely.

I like the car so far though!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
E92ML
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335xi Coupe

The kit I bought from Camaross stopped working and he hasn't been returning my messages.

Alex, it looks like I might need to buy one of your sets soon!

Performance: JB4 ECU, CP-E DP's, WW BMS Meth Kit, AR meth elbow, BMS DCI, AFE Intake Scoops,
Exterior: Enkruez 19" H8R, H&R Spacers, Aero Lip, Tint, ACS Roof Spoiler, HID AE's, HID Fogs, Black Grills, Sport Pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335!

camarro's just left all his customers stranded like a POS, and never would ship on time nor reply to messages in a timely manner
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great review

what is the deal with HID's stain and yellow the RINGS from the heat of the HID.. Ive seen a few HID owners complain of this after extensive use of HID's as angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Looks great! I dig the daytime brightness...but is it overpoweringly bright at night? That's my only concern.

Also, you should get some LED turn signals for this car! It would look much nicer when the headlights are off (no egg yoke look!). Go with the HPB 7.5W ones if you do--brightest on the market!

And another tip--you got black kidney grills from what I understand. You should spray your lower grills gloss/matte black to match! It's cheap to do but it will make the front of your car "flow" much more nicely.

I like the car so far though!
Hello again!

At pitch night, it is not overpowering at all! I love it at night! Ill be the first to admit the even-ness durign the day/night is moderate at best, but this is the problem with most kits. After about 10 ft or so, or if in the oncoming lane, they look great. My kit is the 8000k and im very happy with the color. Its majorly white with a very slight hint of blue at night. Its nice. Although ive heard 8000k is less bright than 6000k. I bought both so ill have to try the 6000k out when i have the time

Also, the turn signals, what is it that they repalce exactly? Not too sure. Just the actual orange turn signal light?

And as for the grills, i painted my lower grills last weekend xD didnt turn out as good as i wanted tho... i left the overspray paper on the car while it dried and it caused some of it to rip off when i took the paper off im respraying them when i get some time to myself lol other than that, i agree, looks much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92ML View Post
The kit I bought from Camaross stopped working and he hasn't been returning my messages.

Alex, it looks like I might need to buy one of your sets soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motastic View Post
camarro's just left all his customers stranded like a POS, and never would ship on time nor reply to messages in a timely manner
Sorry to hear, i havent heard good things from camarro's either. Alex is a very pleasent person to work with tho, i highly recommend him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI335 View Post
Great review

what is the deal with HID's stain and yellow the RINGS from the heat of the HID.. Ive seen a few HID owners complain of this after extensive use of HID's as angel eyes.

No yellowing (that i can tell) as of now. I PMed Alex about that and he said not to worry about it due to the bulb construction being both plastic and glass, and he rattled off some other reasons why his would do that, i cant remember them lol
but if u have more questions about his kit, just ask him. real nice dude.

06-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

Alpine "coding"

I have read that the car needs to be coded properly inorder for the Alpine Angel Eyes to work.

Can anybody give more information? I am considering them but don't want to have problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminador View Post
I have read that the car needs to be coded properly inorder for the Alpine Angel Eyes to work.

Can anybody give more information? I am considering them but don't want to have problems.
Zero coding required, plug and play error free.

Send me a email or PM with questions alex@alpinemss.com

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #14
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Zero coding required, plug and play error free.

Send me a email or PM with questions alex@alpinemss.com

Thank you
Hi Alex.

pm'd you a week back and no reply. Was wondering if there is any bulb color close to amber and I am also wondering about the yellowing of the rings. I was advised against an hid kit again today because of the yellowing. Can you explain?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #15
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Hi Alex.

pm'd you a week back and no reply. Was wondering if there is any bulb color close to amber and I am also wondering about the yellowing of the rings. I was advised against an hid kit again today because of the yellowing. Can you explain?
No amber option or close to it, sorry, LUX has a nice amber option.

Our HID bulbs have copper filling to keep the heat down, also our ballast idle at less amps then standard, yellowing of anything is due to age, heat can cause aging faster then normal, other then sending $1000+ this is the closest you can get to the new LCI look.Hope that helps.

Email me if you have more questions alex@alpinemss.com

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No amber option or close to it, sorry, LUX has a nice amber option.

Our HID bulbs have copper filling to keep the heat down, also our ballast idle at less amps then standard, yellowing of anything is due to age, heat can cause aging faster then normal, other then sending $1000+ this is the closest you can get to the new LCI look.Hope that helps.

Email me if you have more questions alex@alpinemss.com

Thank you
I guess a person could use these until the yellowing is bad enough and then do an oss or ls3 install to cover it up and spend that $700.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I guess a person could use these until the yellowing is bad enough and then do an oss or ls3 install to cover it up and spend that $700.
Not these, please do not compare generic HID Angel Eyes with ours, through out time we have improved, and used none DC ballast.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 750li

Looks great. Thanks for the review. How is the output compared to LED angel eyes like Lux or MTEC.?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not these, please do not compare generic HID Angel Eyes with ours, through out time we have improved, and used none DC ballast.
I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that all rings will yellow and hid's are hotter and speed up the process. It wasn't clear what you meant. Do you mean that if there is no yellowing present that your kit will not artificially yellow them quicker?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post
Looks great. Thanks for the review. How is the output compared to LED angel eyes like Lux or MTEC.?

For light output:

Alpine>LUX>MTECH

but LUX and MTECH are LED so they are not really meant to compete with the HIDs

Last edited by Eric335; 06-25-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that all rings will yellow and hid's are hotter and speed up the process. It wasn't clear what you meant. Do you mean that if there is no yellowing present that your kit will not artificially yellow them quicker?
I was confused by the post as well

So far i havent noticed drastic yellowing, but after reading the horror stories i believe ive been making myself see yellow honestly though, i believe there might be*slight* yellowing, although i cant say for sure if its just my eyes, my head, or reality. Unfortunately, im 3000 miles from my car and cant take photos.

For now, im happy. i plan on OSS if these go yellow, which i dont think they will (soon, anyways)....

Also an update:

All ballasts working so far, no codes thrown on behalf of the Angel Eyes.
      06-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #22
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Alex,

you do know OSS and LS3 are extremely respected high dollar LED conversions, and not a generic HID kit....?